A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride
Topic Author

How did you choose your Wedding Portrait?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Part of our Photography packaged included 3 portraits one for us and one for each of our parents.
We have pretty much decided what we want in our album but can't decide on our portraits. How did you decide which picture to choose? Was there anything that made you pick a certain picture?

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Re: Choosing your Wedding Portrait

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:39 pm

We didn't chose portraits as such, but definitely have a favourite photo... It's the one that I went back to most often to look at, it really stands out as the most beautiful and interesting of the two of us, and captures our emotions :D Is there a certain photo or two that you feel this way about??

Here's my fave portrait of us from our wedding day, to give you an idea of what I mean...

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Re: Choosing your Wedding Portrait

Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:55 pm

We weren't exactly happy with our wedding photos so it did limit it on our behalf which ones we would pick. However I would choose a pose that you think symbolises your relationship with each other, a photo that is flattering to you both etc.

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride
Topic Author

Re: How did you choose your Wedding Portrait?

Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:27 pm

Thanks girls I think you've helped me decide on the one for us still not sure on the parents ones though. I'll have to sift through them again. I'd love to see more choices of what people picked though all your photo's are beautiful.

KritalJay
Princess VHM
Princess VHM

Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:00 pm

We did the same as Jaynage. For my parents we got a photo that focused more on me, for DH's parents one that focused more on him, for us we went with something more arty that didnt just focus on us but captured the moment and for our grandparents we went with something that we called "typical wedding photo". The two of us smiling sweetly looking straight into the camera

Palm Cove Bride
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:43 pm

kathya wrote:
Thanks girls I think you've helped me decide on the one for us still not sure on the parents ones though. I'll have to sift through them again. I'd love to see more choices of what people picked though all your photo's are beautiful.

If the other portraits are for your parents shouldnt they be the ones to pick the photo that THEY want?????
I got our parents to go through our proof album and pick out all the photos they really liked so we could make a momento album for them later on and I noticed that with all 3 sets of parents the photos they chose were different to the best photos that we loved. The photos of DH & I that I loved the best werent what our parents preferred. I found that to be the same for other brides that Ive spoken to as well.

I agree with mogle completely about picking your favourite photo. We havent chosen ours yet as we may select a page layout from our album as one of our 4 enlargements so we will wait until our album is finished (sadly not likely until April at the earliest).

AugustB2B
Bookworm Bride
Bookworm Bride

Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Jayneage, just wanted to say that the photos you chose for your wall is gorgeous!

Bella_Bride
Goddess of Chat
Goddess of Chat

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 pm

We went through and cut the ones we *didnt* like first. Then we made a pile of ones we liked. Then we more closely scrutinised that pile and cut it down :)

This was it (though we edited it a little):

kristielee
Accidently In Love
Accidently In Love

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:51 pm

We had a short list of about 5, had a poll, and narrowed it down to this one. It was a hard job, we had "my" favorites, and "his" favorites, and came up with a compromise.

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:11 am

We got 3 print with our package and we were originally planning on giving them to our folks, but we ended up making them an album on snapfish instead and keeping the prints for us ;)

For the big one we wanted to choose something that would fit into the colourings of our house and wasn't too close up of us (don't wanna stare at yourself like that all the time!). http://www.fovphoto.com.au/order/pgPhot ... hoto=57170 Photo number 675. If you need to log in to see it, it's David and Allison and the passwird is "brudenell"

For the smaller 2 we picked 2 of our faves.
http://www.fovphoto.com.au/order/pgPhot ... hoto=56890 Photo number 395.
http://www.fovphoto.com.au/order/pgPhot ... hoto=56917 Photo number 422.

Neon
Glowing Bride
Glowing Bride

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

KritalJay wrote:
for us we went with something more arty that didnt just focus on us but captured the moment and for our grandparents we went with something that we called "typical wedding photo". The two of us smiling sweetly looking straight into the camera

We had a similar thing with our engagement shoot. The picture FH and I chose (and adored) was very arty - black and white, off-centre, us in an underground tunnel, kinda grungy with graffiti and odd light. FH and I were facing each other, holding hands and kissing. We really liked the juxtaposition of the soft, intimate pose and the hard, industrial surroundings.

The whole shoot was more like that, which is very much our style.

My mother was appalled. The photo she chose? The colour one with FH and I sitting together on some steps, smiling straight at the camera. FH's parents chose the same one!

So try to keep your parent's taste in mind when choosing their portraits.

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 pm

I know my mum wants an old fashioned one with us smiling lovey dovey at each other or the camera as that's what she picked for both my brother and sister's photo's and i'm almost 100% sure that's what the in-laws want as well but they give nothing away. I showed them the proofs and they were oh these look great but didn't say which they liked the most. While talking to DH he's pretty sure they would want a similar photo to what my parents want and they will be happy with which ever we choose for them. I do however like the idea of putting myself as the main focus for my parents and vice versa for DH's parents. I'll have to check with DH as well. I will also be making them a parents album and have narrowed the photo's down for that so not to worried about that one at all. I've got to say both sets of parents are impossible at making decisions which is why i'm doing the choosing otherwise we'll still be at it in a years time. :lol:

jaynage
I survived and got married

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:45 pm

AugustB2B wrote:
Jayneage, just wanted to say that the photos you chose for your wall is gorgeous!

Thanks hun :)

Kristielee, I adore that photo of you and your DH, lovely choice.

Heavenly Melody
Cheeky Cherub
Cheeky Cherub

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 pm

We chose two - one great landscape one and a portrait one.

Princess_Bride
DH's princess forever
DH's princess forever

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:46 pm

We just went with the one that stood out the most for us...everytime we saw it we loved it! It is a bit more of an arty shot...

Porcelain
Loved Up
Loved Up

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:55 pm

All your pictures are just gorgeous ladies! Wow :heart: I love them all.
Once we're married, FH and I will definitely let each of our parents choose their favourite photo to have enlarged. And we'll go with one we both love the best, one that symbolises "us".

katbunney
Little Miss Pink BunnEy
Little Miss Pink BunnEy

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm

I had my favourite and DH had his favourite. so we got them both done on canvas and have them hanging in the lounge room.

beckles5000

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Hanging in our lounge room we have a canvas. We picked this photo of us in the driveway of our reception venue. We didn't want our faces huge on the wall and we liked that the horse and cart sitting in the background.

For our parents we picked a more 'family shot' of us and our furbabies. Worked out well :)

mackay

Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:58 pm

beckles5000 wrote:
For our parents we picked a more 'family shot' of us and our furbabies. Worked out well :)

Beckles5000 I LOVE the "family" shot! I really want our dogs to be apart of our special day but FH is not so keen. We have two beagles and he is worried that they will just get so excited with the people (and all the great smells of a new place!) that they won't sit still long enough for a photo (and admittedly I have had visions of them jumping on my lovely dress)! Did you have someone go and get your dogs for the photo or what?

beckles5000

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:32 pm

mackay wrote:
beckles5000 wrote:

Beckles5000 I LOVE the "family" shot! I really want our dogs to be apart of our special day but FH is not so keen. We have two beagles and he is worried that they will just get so excited with the people (and all the great smells of a new place!) that they won't sit still long enough for a photo (and admittedly I have had visions of them jumping on my lovely dress)! Did you have someone go and get your dogs for the photo or what?

It just so happened where that photo was taken was opposite DH's dad's house so DH asked the photographer if we could try and get a shot with our furbabies. So DH ran over to the house and grabbed the dogs. I was a little nervous as I thought my lab would jump all over me! Luckily they know how to 'stay' and for that spilt second the photographer made a high pitched noice which pricked their ears perfectly! They then barged forward to the photographer nearly, barging her over! The photographer also took some great shots of DH leading the dogs to me, photographer loved them!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.42