A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

BM vs Bride's dresses

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:40 pm

How important do you think it is for BM dresses to 'match' the bride's dress?

I've found BM dresses I LOVE and will look fantastic on my girls, but they aren't the same cut/style as the bridal gowns I tend to like. Not that I have my gown yet, but it's something to consider (I'm on holidays and bored :lol:)

I've been looking on my photographers blog, and very few of the BM dresses on there have the same fabric/cut/neckline as the bride's dresses and it still looks lovely, so am I just being pedanic for wondering if it should 'match'?

(For the record, looking at flowing, chiffon BM dresses and probably more of an A-line beaded silk/satin for myself.)

jazzie
♥ His Chook ♥
♥ His Chook ♥

Re: BM vs Bride's dresses

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I woudn't worry about it at all! As long as the BM dresses "go" with your dress it will be fine.. I'm having a slinky style wedding dress with a v neck and my BM are wearing strapless dresses.

jaynage
I survived and got married

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm

BM dresses don't have to 'match' the bride's dress by any means. If anything, I think it's a lot nicer when the bridal gown is a different style altogether, and besides, the bride is meant to look distinct from the BMs.
My dress was in silk satin and had off the shoulder lace sleeves, fitted boddice and A-line skirt, whereas my BM dresses were in satin, had shoulder straps, twisted and fitted around the bust, and then silk overlay falling to the floor without any flaring in the skirt. Totally different silhouette. If you like the BM dress you have found, then go for it!

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 pm

I say go with what you like :) Not what matches my girls were in flowy chiffon dresses to the kness and my dress wasnt a flowy chiffon dress mine had straps and the girls were strapless. You know what your the bride your ment to stand out, not to blend with your bm :D

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks girls! I appreciate the reassurance, nice to know that I'm not totally on the wrong track. 8)

GorgeousGiggles
Aaron's Future Wife
Aaron's Future Wife

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:19 pm

My BM dresses are nothing like my gown. My dress is strapless and the girls are wearing halter necks!

I dont think it matters at all :D

pinkprincess85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:36 pm

Mine are nothing like my dress either - I am in strapless and the girls have thick straps in a v-neck :D
I didn't think the BM matched your gown anyways :S

MrsKo2b

Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 pm

I don't think that it is important unless of course you do? It is your wedding so you can do what you desire (so I've been told). I told my BM that my theme colour is green so she went out & bought a green 2 piece outfit & I made my jnr BM dress to kinda match. I did it this way because I didn't want to be a bridezilla & I didn't really care.... :D lol even their shoes don't match! :D

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:06 pm

Yay! I'm glad it's not just me! But I remember when I was a BM once being told the style had to be similar - ie if the bride had halter, so should we...that's what got me worried! But I definately don't want them to match - I want them to have different hair and shoes etc too, they aren't clones!

mellyk83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:36 pm

I never heard they were suppose to be similar although mine and my BM's are strapless & floor lenght thats the only similarities and thats only cos thats what we liked nothing to do with them being similar, never even crossed my mind :D

MrsKo2b

Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Dandelion wrote:
Yay! I'm glad it's not just me! But I remember when I was a BM once being told the style had to be similar - ie if the bride had halter, so should we...that's what got me worried! But I definately don't want them to match - I want them to have different hair and shoes etc too, they aren't clones!

When I was BM for my friend's wedding, she had all our dresses made the same, she's the type of person who wants everything perfect to the final detail. Where as to my wedding, I was on a budget.

happyfish

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:22 pm

in some dgree ,i think it is important for you to choose the almost same color dresses.This will make the wedding look more harmonious.Of course ,proper dress will make the bride more beautiful. :D

Moofairy

Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:19 pm

I think some ppl are getting the wrong idea about your question, I believe you are asking about the bridesmaids and brides dress being of a similar style not bridesmaids all wearing the same like some people seem to think. I'm a believer in do what you like and want, that's why yes, I picked my wedding dress and moh's dress to "match" as far as the styles this made more sense to me since it was just the two of us. But I do think that you dont have to do this and it is nice to stand out from your bridesmaids. I think that as long as everyone is comfortable and wearing dresses that suit their shape is much better than worrying about everyone matching perfectly. For example not everyone looks good in a halter neck dress, just as not everyone can wear the colour pink or yellow etc etc... I think it is better to have your girls wearing dresses that compliment them. Feel free to check out my pro photos (in the hall of fame or my website below) to see how my wedding dress was a matching style to my moh's dress.

Phee
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:59 pm

I think what's most important is that the dresses suit the people that are wearing them, so if the style of BM dresses you've found suits your bridesmaids then i wouldn't worry about it matching the style of your dress because the bm's will look great and that's what people will notice, not whether the neckline is the same as yours etc.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 pm

I did slightly worry about this, mum and my girls looked at me funny when i asked if they thought it would look strange if the girls had a grecian style dress and i ended up picking a princess style gown but when i asked the lady in the bridal store she said it won't matter, people won't sit there saying shes picked two totally different styles of dresses. As long as the dresses suit the girls and you love them, thats what matters.

Little_Miss
He's my Sunshine
He's my Sunshine

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I picked my BM dresses before I picked mine. They are satin a-line floor length gowns with rouching and diamonte detail on the bodice. My dress by chance is also a-line and similar in terms of rouching at the waist, but mine is very heavily beaded and my dress is tulle and lace.

It doesn't really matter if they are similar or completely different. It is your day and you can have whatever you want.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 am

It never entered my mind to have similar dresses...I do like the bridesmaid dresses to be the same colour and style as each other but if i have a strapless wedding gown then I would most likely get the opposite for my BM's and again if i have thin straps i would probably choose strapless for them. But I agree its all about weather they look good and feel comfortable in that dress and that you love your dress!!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07