A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥
Topic Author

Having no music at reception

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has been to a reception or going to have a wedding reception with no music????

mrscampbell
Domestic Goddess
Domestic Goddess

Re: Having no music at reception

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Nope, never. Any reason why?

bride2b&mumof3
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:11 pm

No. There has always at least had some sort of generic background music.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 pm

FH isn't keen on having reception music. He says he went to a christmas party at our reception venue and he says it was rather noisy and he could hardly hear anything. He says it would be a waste of money.

It's a small venue and I would love to have a band there as I've been told some of them do a lovely job (something different. my tastes and FH's tastes in music is entirely different and I just don't think we would agree with ipod music). I've even spoken to the co-ordinator who gave me some suggestions on bands.

I booked a photographer without consulting him and was told I wasn't respecting him by consulting him on such 'major' things.........so I'm trying to ask for his opinion and he just keeps telling me that I'm going to have to compromise on a few things (meaning it's a waste of money)......

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:21 pm

No offence, but I reckon there needs to be some type of background music! You don't want to have the only thing you hear is other people's voices!

Can you not put a mixture of both your music on an ipod and do a shuffle so that it randomly picks songs you both like?

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:24 pm

None taken.

I want music but FH doesn't *sigh* He doesn't like my taste in music and his taste isn't something I would deem appropriate for background reception music.............

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Maybe you could just have some random music that niether of you like if that makes sense. Like when you go to restuarants and they have their music. You have no idea what it is but there's something there like soft jazz or whatever.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:30 pm

What will you dance too? Surely there needs to be something! When you're cutting the cake, the whole room will be silent! That will be weird.

Shoggs
I survived and got married

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm

In all honesty, I think a wedding with no music would be really boring. At my reception, the wedding co-ordinator would only allow the music to be so high so that people could still talk. At any one time, at least 50% of our guests was on the dance floor dancing once the main meal was over and there are those "party hours" left of the reception. I know for quite a few people the nutbush was a massive highlight as apparently nearly every woman was on the dance floor. (I missed it as I was in the ladies, haha). Also, I had a great time dancing with my uncles, FIL, grandfather and so on, loads of great memories.

I think a wedding with no music would be quite somber and a tad boring, a bit like a wedding with no alcohol.

I hope you can persuade him, maybe get opinions from his mates and family too to try and persuade him.

All the best

The Leader
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:33 pm

A string quartet might be the go in this instance to just give some quiet background music.

jaynage

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:36 pm

I haven't been to a reception without music, but I have been to an engagement party and to another party where there was no music whatsoever, and it was extremely odd and felt a bit unnatural, IYKWIM? Also, guests at the parties were really conscious of the fact that there was no music, I heard quite a few people musing about the lack of music. Music plays a huge role in setting the atmosphere at an event, and it helps people to relax and mingle. Hopefully you'll be able to talk your FH into it.

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm

That's what I reckon!!!!! (that it would be unnatural and boring).

I'll keep trying to convince him about it............

raybabe
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 pm

At my wedding there was a short delay with music once we where seated after being introduced as MR & MRS ****.
During that time because there was no music no one was really game enough to talk because it was so quiet.
Once the music was sorted out after one minute, the room errupted with conversation.
It was the longest minute of my life.People expect music, like music and in my honest opinion sets the mood/scene for a lovely wedding :D

If it only the money he is worried about why dont you look at burning a few cds of just nice instrumental music you can play of a cd player softly so at least there is SOMETHING playing??
It would be a very very cheap option!

I hope you have some luck with your FH, fingers crossed he comes around!!!!! :e_pray:

Wiz

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:32 pm

Like the others, I think it would be very unusual. We had background music only and you could barely hear it but you knew it was there IYKWIM? It just helped fill the space. It was DH's job to make the ipod playlist, and he did a great job but I had no idea what was playing unless I really concentrated.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm

maybe you could go to some restaurants and listen to their background music and find some you both like (and ask the restaurant what they're playing)
and maybe even see if you can find a restaurant that doesn't play music and see if your FH thinks it feels like it's lacking something... I agree with you and the other girls... it's a bit unnatural to have nothing... maybe like a gallery or something...

good luck

Cuffs
Drunkzilla
Drunkzilla

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Is he being a meanie about this because he thinks you have made decisions without consulting him first, so he's being extra stubborn to make up for it?(because this sounds strangely like something weird I would do in the heat of the PMS-ing moment :lol: )

And the music doesn't have to be one way or the other, it can be both songs you both think are appropriate. Or like the girls have said a random lazz type cd in the background just to add some atmosphere.

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Put it this way to your FH. If he can create a warm enjoyable atmosphere for ALL guests without music, then sure you'll be happy to not have any music. Otherwise, tell him to suck it up.

TBH I can't think of anything more boring than a reception with no music. What do you dance to? Your MIL's singing?

kaywoman68
♥ Mrs R ♥
♥ Mrs R ♥
Topic Author

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Cuffs wrote:
Is he being a meanie about this because he thinks you have made decisions without consulting him first, so he's being extra stubborn to make up for it?(because this sounds strangely like something weird I would do in the heat of the PMS-ing moment :lol: )

Nope, he's just stubborn all the time.

He keeps telling me it's my wedding and that all he really needs to do is to show up. Then he's complaining that I booked the photographer without talking to him about it (he doesn't like having photos taken of him so he doesn't like photographers.....he doesn't like it when I take photos of him either). He thinks everything is expensive and I seriously need to cut a few things out of the whole wedding!!!! 8O Just soooooo bloody frustrated!!!!!!!

71TSS, lucky for me....my MIL doesn't like to sing..... And my mother won't sing either which is great :!:

We're paying for the wedding ourselves but I know I'll end up paying for most of the wedding anyway. I don't wanna skimp on little things that can make our wedding that little bit more special and I'm willing to do it. He has already said he won't pay for the photographer (which I don't mind cos it means he can't tell me what I can and can't spend!!!! This photographer is absolutely wonderful too and I'm willing to pay for the service and quality).

:e_wall: :e_wall: :e_wall:

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Gosh, I hope that this is just one side of him that you don't see too often. It makes happy relationships very hard when 1 party seems to be so unreasonable. Good luck sweetie.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 pm

Are you in a position to keep the wedding chat down at the moment? Maybe he'll get the idea out of his head and then come around when you bring it up later? It would be very odd if there was no music at all.

OR... You could have a massive bridezilla moment, tell him to shut it, let you plan what YOU want (afterall he said it was YOUR wedding!) and leave it up to you :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.33