A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

sams86
Lady DIY
Lady DIY
Topic Author

Gold and Diamond Prices....

Sat May 09, 2009 8:57 am

Since we're on a budget, im worried about the cost of our wedders. In december '06 (i know its awhile ago) when we bought my e-ring (1ct princess cut 18k yellow gold) from A&C it was $1500 but now to get a channel set .50ct princess cut 18k gold wedder with the same diamond clarity (because of my e-ring style its the only wedder that looks any good or sits right with it) is going to cost $1900 from the same store! The cheapest ive been able to find was $1200 from another store (on sale) and i still cant justify it to myself.

Ive been told by a couple jewellers that the prices are so high due to the financial crisis but they are saying prices will go down later this year. But after seeing on the news the other day that the financial crisis is predicted to go well into 2010-11 im wondering if the jewellers are yanking my chain in hopes that ill leave it until later, gold prices will go up and then pay even more.

So now im stressing: do i get them now and pay more than im happy with and then maybe the prices will get better anyway and ill feel like and idiot or do i wait until later in risk of prices staying the same or getting worse and pay even bloody more which will make me feel like a massive idiot. Im starting to think ill end up having to get a CZ gold wedder until well after the wedding when i can replace it with a diamond one when i see prices get better.

I (obviously) dont know what to do. Has anyone got any insight or advise?

jessk16

Re: Gold and Diamond Prices....

Tue May 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi Sam.
Just wondering if you have had your ring valuated as $1500 for a 1ct diamond is very cheap. I know a bit about A&C and im assuming your diamond would be about m-p in colour and about i3 in clarity. If im right in assuming these i could not understand how it would be so expensive to buy a matching cannel wedder. DIamonds are quite expensive and it sounds like you did get your E ring quite cheap. Make sure when you buy your wedder the diamonds match exactly to your e-ring as if they are better quality you will see the brown/yellow in the cheaper one. Also the clarity will be quite noticable.
As for prices for a white coloured 1ct with SI clarity you;d be looking to pay around $3000 AT LEAST. Even a H colour and S1 clarity id expect over $2000. DIamonds will always be expenisve :(

kristen_86
Princess Kristen
Princess Kristen

Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 pm

With the channel set rings, you will find that the diamonds are quite cheap because they are quite small in the channel set, its the gold which is expensive. DH and I both got 18k gold wedders (mine with channel set diamonds, probably around .50 ct, they were E colour VSI) and they were roughly the same price (we paid $2000 each). And I agree, $1500 is very cheap for a 1ct diamond ring!

Go see a wholesale jeweller, they might be able to go cheaper than the retail stores.

sams86
Lady DIY
Lady DIY
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 am

hey girls,

Yeah $1500 is cheap...helps when FH got it for 45% off lol its retail was something like $2500, i tried not to look lol. Kristen your right the diamonds in channel sets are normally smaller which is fine but its also why im scratching my head as to how the damn thing could possibly cost anywhere close the rrp of my e-ring which has more diamonds and bigger ones bought 3 yrs ago!

Are princess cut diamonds more expensive than like round cut ones? Cause ive seen round cut channel bands for heaps less than the princess cut ones even though they were the same gold quality and same number of diamonds. Not that it really matters, im a pedantic everything has to match girl and in my head princess cut e-ring = princess cut channel band :roll:

FLG

Wed May 13, 2009 10:30 am

Last edited by FLG on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am

I got told Princess cut were cheaper... you have to cut less of a rough diamond to get a square shape than a brilliant... made sense to me...

It is the gold that is the pricey bit though... def try a wholesaler... as for when to buy... it'd be like asking someone to predict the stock market... if you want to get it now, shop around and get your best price... if you wanna wait then you risk it going up, but also maybe going down... it gets priced daily...

one thing I do know is that if you go to a wholesaler type person, they don't keep a lot of stock on hand and will buy gold based on recent prices, where as chains do keep stock of jewellery that could have been bought at the cheaper prices (but then whether they pass the cheaper price on to the consumer or not is another matter)...

jobean
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 13, 2009 11:00 am

Definately ask around.

When we went to get FH wedding band we were shown a tray and some were cheaper than others even though they were the same weight etc. The jeweller said it was because he had bought it when gold was a lot cheaper and he hadnt marked them up.

It definately depends on where you shop. I think chain shops tend to have set prices no matter what price they got it for but the independent might leave the price depending on when they bought it.

In saying that my e ring and wedding band are both from A&C and we got a good discount on both because we knew the lady and because we go in there a fair bit.

FLG

Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 am

Last edited by FLG on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tracey83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 am

I'm looking at getting a princess cut channel set band as well - MHJ make one to match my E ring (it needs to have a notch cut out the side, and the diamonds don't go quite all the way to each side so is shorter than most channel set bands) - to match the quality of the channel diamonds in my e ring (H and VVS2 (i think!) I was quoted $1900 but was told that they could get it down to $1500, I'm going to speak to an independent jeweller and look at getting it made through them as their prices seem cheaper than those of the chain jewellers...

princessbridzilla
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Wed May 13, 2009 11:26 am

To be honest with you I can't see the price of gold/diamonds going down anytime soon my grandparents own a jewellry store and they will be told when gold is going up but they really can't make predictions to far into the future so I think that the jewellers are speaking crap to you. If I was you I would wait to the mid year sales which arn't to far and try and get yourself a bargain there also remember to shop around or even try a wholesale jewellry maker.

katw
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 13, 2009 2:29 pm

sams86 wrote:
Are princess cut diamonds more expensive than like round cut ones? Cause ive seen round cut channel bands for heaps less than the princess cut ones even though they were the same gold quality and same number of diamonds. Not that it really matters, im a pedantic everything has to match girl and in my head princess cut e-ring = princess cut channel band :roll:

When we were looking for my diamond, we found that rounds were more expensive than the other cuts for stones with the same cut/clarity/colour/size parameters. Princesses (and most other 'fancy' cuts) face up smaller so that might have something to do with it; or it could possibly relate to higher levels of demand for round brilliants. When I looked in chain stores, however, the fancy cuts seemed to be more expensive in general.

sams86
Lady DIY
Lady DIY
Topic Author

Thu May 14, 2009 8:09 am

that is sooo weird. Why would they charge more for a princess cut if its easier and cheaper to make than something like a brilliant? Do you think its a demand reflects/effects price thing?

ric & crys
Mrs A
Mrs A

Thu May 14, 2009 8:24 am

have you looked at the cost of maybe going to estate jewellers or cash coverters or some other 2nd hand store to just get the gold and then look at what it costs to get it melted down and made? not sure if that would be cheaper but i have seen the price of rings etc at 2nd hand stores is alot cheaper it could be worth while looking at that option. then you also get exactly what you want and you should only be paying for the jewellers experience and time

sams86
Lady DIY
Lady DIY
Topic Author

Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 am

hey hun, thats actually a really good idea! I might go have a chat to a jeweller today and see what sort of quote i can get if i get the gold myself. thanks!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Thu May 14, 2009 9:06 am

I really like that idea ric&crys.
Sams86 I would be really interested to know how you go with the jeweller and if it turns out any cheaper! Please let us know!

ric & crys
Mrs A
Mrs A

Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

hey just wondering how things went?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.29