A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

willow22
Topic Author

Melbourne Reception Venues

Mon May 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Hoping someone can help me, we are looking for a reception venue around Melbourne (preferably in the metro area as we are planning on getting married in a church in Williamstown and don't want our guests to have to drive too far). We have approx 120 guests and are happy to spend up to around $140 per head for a sit down dinner.

We have looked at 8 venues so far and i haven't really liked any of them enough to want to stop looking. So far we have looked at:
Ascot House
Roselyn Court
The Point
The International of Brighton
The Pumphouse Hotel
Fenix
Leonda by the Yarra
Royce Hotel

We still have on our list to look at:
Nine Darling Street
Quat Quatta
The Windsor Hotel

I'm still not 100% sure what we are looking for, but we want something modern with a warm feel (to give you a bit of an idea, if i had to choose out of the venues we have already seen i would probably pick the Royce Hotel) we also prefer a venue with a dancefloor in the middle of the room rather than just pushed to the end and big enough to fit more than 10 people on it!

If anyone has any suggestions of venues we could look at i'll be all ears.

Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post!!

kathya
blue eyed bride
blue eyed bride

Re: Melbourne Reception Venues

Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm

You could try the Melbourne Zoo for something different. Their are 5 function areas. Here take a look http://www.zoosvictoriafunctions.com.au ... =melbourne

I haven't been myself but I did contemplate it for my own wedding just couldn't afford it so didn't bother looking.

nimz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Willow22,

I was also looking for a modern venue in metro area for 120 people but ended up going with a vineyard in the peninsula, but some places I looked at and would recommend you checking out are:

Harbour Room, Royal Melbourne Yacht Club
Carousel
Port Melbourne Yacht Club
Flemington Racecourse
Circa at the Prince
Melbourne Museum
Ian Potter Centre
Melbourne Zoo

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 18, 2009 2:05 pm

I Loved the Langham hotel when we we're looking at Melb Venues... but wait til you see the Quat Quatta... i've heard great things about it(and their other 2)

Wiz
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm

nimz wrote:
Hi Willow22,

I was also looking for a modern venue in metro area for 120 people but ended up going with a vineyard in the peninsula, but some places I looked at and would recommend you checking out are:

Harbour Room, Royal Melbourne Yacht Club
Carousel
Port Melbourne Yacht Club
Flemington Racecourse
Circa at the Prince
Melbourne Museum
Ian Potter Centre
Melbourne Zoo

We had our ceremony and reception at the Prince and it's a stunning venue, but you might struggle to have 120 people plus a decent dance floor in the middle... unless you go cocktail style and use the outdoor area.

mogle
~Urban Queen~
~Urban Queen~

Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Have you looked at Treasury Restaurant @ The Sebel?? http://www.treasuryrestaurant.com.au/De ... &tabid=137 & http://www.treasuryrestaurant.com.au/De ... &tabid=166

It fits your requirements. We had our reception there and I can't rave about it enough, it was sensational!! The room is spectacular and despite being so grand, has a lovely warm feel! The quality of food was especially impressive :D - that was one of our biggest priorities. Fantastic service, and our guests still talk about it. It has a dancefloor that stretches the length of the room, and I really loved this layout. You can check out my photos here if you like http://andrewmel.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... 02&page=13

cadburygirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi There

Like you we looked at so many venues it became very overwhelming!

We narrowed it down to Royce Hotel, Quat Quatta and Nine Darling st ... Both venues are so unique, but in the end it came down to the customer service and Vincent at Nine Darling St was amazing! He is absolutely hilarious and I feel safe knowing he will be looking after us on the day..

Not only is the food top class, the venue, the setting, the atmosphere sold me as well. I love the stage for the band and the huge dance floor! Cant wait for our band to play there.

Anyway, good luck!!

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Mon May 18, 2009 3:04 pm

I looked at exactly the same ones as you, and i wasnt impressed until I came across Quat Quatta and Ripponlea, okay they arent the modern feel but they are simply gorgeous, I ended up choosing Ripponlea because I will be having the reception there as well, and it had a nicer place for the ceremony then Quat Quatta. But saying that Quat Quatta has a lovely big dancefloor in the middle. Nine Darling St is apparently nice but I fell in love with Ripponlea so I didnt get a chance to go and see it. Quat Quatta is a perfect size for your numbers as well. In regards to Carousel and the Harbour Room, they both have a very high Minimum spend for a Sat between $26,000 and $30,000, whereas Quat Quatta has minimum numbers which they wont budge on as 130 on a Sat night at $135 per head. Another one that I looked at was Pelicans Landing in Williamstown right across from a lovely church, not quite me but apparently a spectacular view sea and city view at night time, but it would probably be too small for 120 people. Sirens in Williamstown is also nice. Other places are Riva St Kilda, Sails on the Bay, Stokehouse & Donovans St Kilda and the Langham is nice. Oh and The Willows but no that would be too small.

willow22
Topic Author

Mon May 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and fast responses!!! :D

There are definately some more venues i can check out now which i hadn't even thought about.

Cadbury girl can i ask, what have you done with your meal at nine darling street? The info that i have got from them is one choice per course, i really think this is pretty poor and don't agree with having to pay for a second main meal alternative when no where else does this (except quat quatta)

Are you just going with the one choice, are you paying for an alternative or did you manage to negotiate a second main meal at no charge? if so, was this hard to do as this is why i have left 9 darling street and quat quatta to the last on my list as i was a bit put off by this fact.

emmylouly
Mrs Klinakis
Mrs Klinakis

Mon May 18, 2009 4:01 pm

mogle wrote:
Have you looked at Treasury Restaurant @ The Sebel?? http://www.treasuryrestaurant.com.au/De ... &tabid=137 & http://www.treasuryrestaurant.com.au/De ... &tabid=166

It fits your requirements. We had our reception there and I can't rave about it enough, it was sensational!! The room is spectacular and despite being so grand, has a lovely warm feel! The quality of food was especially impressive :D - that was one of our biggest priorities. Fantastic service, and our guests still talk about it. It has a dancefloor that stretches the length of the room, and I really loved this layout. You can check out my photos here if you like http://andrewmel.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... 02&page=13

I would definitely have checked out Treasury if our numbers weren't so high. It looks amazing and a bit different from the usual, which seems to be what you are going for. Also not many people have been there (from what i can tell) so it wouldn't be the 'same old' attitude you sometimes get from guests at a wedding.

You could also try the large hall at Melbourne uni, i think they call themselves functions @ Melbourne or something like that. We looked into this place but they didnt bother getting back to us with any info so we didnt bother going in for a looksy, so their management might be a bit slack.

jemima23
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 18, 2009 5:46 pm

I also loved the Dome for something unique... but needs a bit more setup involved...

http://www.acc-catering.com.au/corporat ... /dome.html
GZIP: On | Load: 0.32