A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Secret Love
Formally known as Monica23
Topic Author

Reception Ideas

Sat May 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello,

I am getting married on feb 13 2010 and we havent yet decided what to do for our reception.
We have found a nice reception venue though we were quoted close to $10,000 for 60 people.
We are paying for the wedding ourselves so we were hoping to pay no more than 4,000 for 70 people.

Is there anyone else having an alternate reception? Such as cocktail, at home, in a park or any other suggestions.
We prefer BYO location or a place where guests can purchase their own beverages. Please give me ideas!

Can you also recommend close to mt tamborine or gold coast locations.
I am also after a transport company or wedding vehicle preferably a vintage or classic that will charge under $500 for 3 hours.

Thanks guys

lili 2010
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Reception Ideas

Sat May 23, 2009 6:59 pm

After umming and ahhing a lot- we thought of lunch and afternoon tea- and lots in between, we are going with a cocktail style party after the reception.

We like that it also gives us the chance to mingle with everyone, rather than being stuck on the "bridal" table which seems like such a waste of time when a lot of our guests will have come from interstate.

We've managed to find a nice bar, which offers canapes and who will let us put on a bar tab and then move to cash bar afterwards. We are looking at spending $35 p.p on food (60ish people) which will be just over $2000 and the function manager says that will give people at least 7 items of small food, plus 2 bowl food items. We're having it in the afternoon, so I guess food is not much of an issue.

I've also read a few threads on here about cocktail style parties, and the consensus seems to be that as long as 1. you have enough food and/or 2. mention in your invitation that it is a cocktail reception, your guests shouldn't come to your wedding starving and expecting a full meal!

We're going to ask our parents put some money on the bar, so that should be around $1-1.5k. Again the functions manager seems to think that will be more than enough to keep the party going for a few hours. And I doubt that any of our guests will mind paying after it runs out.

In my opinion $4k would be more than enough money to throw a really fun and memorable cocktail party somewhere.

I'm not on the gold coast so cant help with a venue but my suggestion is just to do a google search on lots of bars/pubs/nice hotels in the area near your wedding and see what you come up with (there should be plenty on the gold coast!!). Most will be available for functions and generally offer a cocktail party menu. Email the ones that take your fancy and see what they can do for you in that price range.
That's what I did!

Wiz
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sat May 23, 2009 7:03 pm

We had a breakfast reception because we :heart: the idea, but it also kept costs down a lot.

Meals were approximately one third of the price of a dinner: we had pastries served canape style, museli, fruit and yoghurt on the tables, then hot ham and cheese toasts served 'sharing' style at the table, followed by plated eggs on toast... so no shortage of food!

It also kept the costs down for drinks as the only alcohol was champagne and I think we averaged 2 glasses per person. We had juice, sparkling mineral water, tea and coffee - all up I think it cost us less than $7000 for 84 people.

Dinner & drinks package at the same gorgeous venue would have been close to $14,000.

tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat May 23, 2009 7:32 pm

We are having a bbq buffet reception at the courthouse hotel at southport. We have around 60 people and we are paying $28p/p for the bbq buffet menu. For the kids, we pay 8.50 each for them and they get a kids meal. We are also having fruit platters for dessert and these are $50/platter. As for beverages, we are paying for softdrinks, juice, and toasting wine but if people wish to drink alcohol then they can buy it themselves across the bar.

Secret Love
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks for the help!
Keep the ideas coming!
The courthouse hotel looks great for what we are after and that way it will be less than $4000 with all inclusions (room hire, food, beverages etc)! Which is perfect I am going to check if they are available on our day.

Thank you :)

tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 24, 2009 7:55 am

Monica23 wrote:
Thanks for the help!
Keep the ideas coming!
The courthouse hotel looks great for what we are after and that way it will be less than $4000 with all inclusions (room hire, food, beverages etc)! Which is perfect I am going to check if they are available on our day.

Thank you :)

Your Welcome hun. :D

Secret Love
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Thank you so much,
I have booked my reception at the courthouse hotel for the 13.02.10

I am so excited now!

tahnee_s
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue May 26, 2009 7:57 am

Congratulations hun, that's awesome! Did you go in and check it out?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.15