A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

cadburygirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

My dress arrived!...but...

Sun May 31, 2009 9:32 am

Hi

My dress arrived the other day (woo hoo :)) and I went in yesterday to try it on.... only problem is the designer added extra detail and motifs to the tule that I didnt ask for. THe lady at the shop told me to come in and try it on and see if I like it that way, otherwise she would be sending back to the designer to have them removed. Problem is I cant decide if i want it or not? akfjalfldsa

Im not a big tule fan, and when I purchased my dress I knew that you would see part of the tule at the side where it comes up but didnt think it would be so obvious... Im not a glitsy type person and Im all confused what to do now.. THey have added the same motifs from the top of the dress onto the tule underneath... you dont really see much of it apart from one or two and I can always lower the side thing anyway but then if i do that will it ruin the dress? If i decide to keep the motifs on there and then decide that it looks too tacky Im worried it wont be able to be changed! ahhhh I dont want it sent back again and have to wait another month or two for the dress to return.... Im in dilema. THe motifs flow with the dress but Im not sure if they look to old fashioned or tacky.. (if thats the right word). I originally didnt want a big flowing dress, I would rather it to be more straight lined down the bottom but I cant decide... Im worried it actually makes me look biggger? I still have more kgs to lose but Im all confused. I need to make my decision by MOnday if I want to send it back..

Ill attach photos and hopefully it will make sense... the motifs are on the left side you can see them near the bottom... what do you guys think?
DSC00056.jpg
front view dress.jpg
back view.jpg

bridalicious
I need a title
I need a title

Re: My dress arrived!...but...

Sun May 31, 2009 9:38 am

I think it is a beautiful dress and I wouldn't barely have noticed the motifs on the tulle had you not pointed them out, I don't feel as though they are a real focal point of the dress. I :heart: tulle :lol: so I'm definately ok with that part! I can't imagine why you would want to lose weight, the dress looks perfect on you just the way you are.

craigs girl
The Bandit
The Bandit

Sun May 31, 2009 9:41 am

I think it looks fine, it doesn't stand out.

lolliehollie
I need a title
I need a title

Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 am

I love your dress...however if it was me I would send it back to get the motifs taken off the tulle. That's just me though - because I get a picture in my head of what something is going to look like and would be shattered if it didn't match that picture exactly. Also it would be better to get the motifs taken off rather than altering the dress and side thing later as that may change the whole way it sits on you. How long before your wedding? Do you have enough time?

If you're not one of those people who get fixated on things (like me) - then I wouldn't worry about getting them taken off. The motifs aren't that obvious on the zoomed out photo but if you're already worried about them and they're already playing on your mind it might be best to get them taken off. Can you ask your BM or mum for an opinion because it may look different in real life with the way the light falls on the dress.

PS = the dress suits your figure beautifully and doesn't make you look big at all.

jussybride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 31, 2009 10:56 am

I like it. It looks like it was always part of the dress and a complete package. It doesn't stand out, its just a little detail which I think adds to your gorgeous dress

roberta2000
Princess At Last
Princess At Last

Sun May 31, 2009 12:44 pm

If you are unhappy with them, then you should have them taken off.

Personally, I think I would prefer the dress without them. It's beautiful. :D

kylieac
I survived and got married

Sun May 31, 2009 1:23 pm

i think it looks lovely, and i like the extra bits, i think it adds a lovely little bit of extra detail.

Scrappysuzuki
Missus H
Missus H

Sun May 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Got to agree with the other girls, it really is a beautiful dress and it suits you well.

morganlouise

Sun May 31, 2009 3:19 pm

I love the dress, but I don't think I like the motifs on the tulle.

D'sGirl
Bite Me!
Bite Me!

Sun May 31, 2009 3:28 pm

Your dress is gorgeous hun - and the first thing I have to say is you have a beautiful figure! You don't need to lose weight at all, you look gorgeous and your dress suits you to perfection.

I don't think the added detail really makes a lot of difference - BUT, if you're worried about it and don't like it, send it back and get what YOU want. You only get to do this once so don't keep it as it is just because its here (if that makes sense!). You don't want to put your dress on on your big day and be thinking - I wish I'd had these things taken off!

Listen to your instincts, you know what you want to do... :heart:

flimmy

Sun May 31, 2009 3:42 pm

I really like it, I think the dress fits you really well and is very flattering to you.
I dont mind the extra motifs she added but if you bought the dress without these in mind you should have recieved the dress you ordered not one with extras added.

Ms Pearly
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun May 31, 2009 4:58 pm

I have read your post over and over and to me it sounds like you really aren't happy with it. When you go in on Monday can you try on the original again or put them next to each other to compare? Also ask the ladies that work there how long it will take to get your dress back if you get them to remove it. Hopefully this will help you decide what to do.

I too think that you look stunning in the dress and you don't need to loose any weight, but you need to feel comfortable. I get told all the time that I don't need to loose weight but I want to look as perfect as I can on my wedding day. Just don't starve yourself as you look fabulous the way you are.

Bec Silverton

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 am

Why not have EXACTLy what you wanted in the beginning? send it back I say - although having said that, it does look beautoful as it!

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:57 am

The dress suits you perfectly!!

Get the motifs removed though - I think it will make you happier :)

Elizabethan
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Your dress is beautiful, and it suits you so well, you look amazing!

I just cant understand how they added these extra bits that you didnt ask for... Why did they do the extra work only to remove it??? 8O Too weird!

Personally I like the tulle, but the embelishments are a bit much IMO.Especially seeing as you said you aren't into all of that stuff.

ellejay
♥ totally married ♥
♥ totally married ♥

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Hrmm, I'm a bit undecided on this one. I think I would actually prefer the dress without the motifs. I don't think they look bad I just think the dress would look nicer without them. I do agree with d's girl though and say go with your gut on this- it would be terrible for you to dislike your dress as the day approaches because of the motifs. I guess too, that if you get the dress back and prefer the motifs there you could always get the tulle embroidered by a dress maker.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:31 pm

What did you decide to do Cadbury?

lili 2010
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:49 pm

doesnt stand out at all. and don't forget people will be looking at your face not the bottom of your dress. I think keep it rather than wait another 2 months.

cadburygirl
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi guys

Thanks so much for your feedback and honesty! Its means alot to me!!

Im having one of those days today.... I decided I would keep it but get the dressmaker to take out the top layer of tule at their expense (since it was their fault in the first place) This would eliminate sending it back and waiting

However, since speaking with the shop the lady has explained that if i take the top layer off the under neath layers are quite firm so it might make the dress look heavier, rather than light.... so in saying that I decided to send it back... let them fix it and then take it to the dress maker and just remove a few layers from underneath... ahhhhh the drama of the day! Im still waiting for her confirmation with the designer to see how long this will take... fingers crossed it will be back before the end of this month which I guess is still enough time

thanks heaps for all your messages!!! just reading over them brought a big smile to my face so thank you!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.41