A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Secret Love
Formally known as Monica23
Topic Author

How did you choose your wedding date?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:57 pm

I am curious as to how you all chose your wedding date and for different reasons etc.
I chose mine because our anniversary is the 12th Feb & Valentine's is 14th Feb and the Saturday is the 13th so no we are to be married on Feb 13 2010!

jaynage
I survived and got married

Re: How did you choose your wedding date?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:00 pm

We chose our date because:
A) We wanted a Spring wedding
B) Our date was the first date in Spring that both the Cathedral and our reception venue were available. Being able to have our chosen venues were really important to us.

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:16 pm

We choose ours for a few reasons;
a) We wanted a short engagement - around a year
b) Needed a winter/early Spring/Late Autum wedding being in Nth QLD
c) My parents were going overseas in June, so needed to give them a chance to settle in before the wedding
d) FH thought September would be nice
e) We needed it out of school holidays as we would have lots of interstate guests and it would cost them more for flights etc
f) I didn't want to get married on the 12th of Sept as it would be Sept 11 in America and didn't want to have our anniversary on the same day
g) That left the 5th of September!

MrsKo2b

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:19 pm

- Got engaged on my b'day in March so 12 months for being engaged was long enough.
- Luckily we wanted an autumn wedding as the weather was nice & cool.

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 pm

We orginally wanted to get married this year (I was looking at November), but our venue was fully booked for Saturdays til February. We took the first available Saturday they had!

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm

We are getting married on the Saturday and our anniversay is on the Tuesday, easy decision for us! :D

mandamoo
Princess Moo
Princess Moo

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:28 pm

For some reason the 25th of Oct was popping out but the venue we liked didnt have that date available

The only date avialable for a evening wedding was the 3rd Nov (a day before cup day) so we thought even better as a long weekend in Melb.

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:30 pm

We don't have a date but when we do we would like it early in the year. We are having a morning wedding so anytime but summer it will be a lil to cool for a wedding. Also sunrises are way better in summer anyways. I'd prefer to have it during the school holidays as my parents are teachers and seeing as they are contributing to the wedding I'd like to make it easy for them as well

However FH and I are 7 months apart and now he says he wants to get married when we are the same age. So thats between the months of april and august. Typical fussy male.

carly_buttons
Done and dusted
Done and dusted

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Ours was originally 27 November 2010. We then had to move it a week earlier as our ceremony venue was booked, then we found a brand new reception venue which saved us $5,000, so we didn't need to save as much, so we moved in forward to 1 May 2010. I would have loved to get married Feb 13 (saturday, and 12 months since engagement) but it is just way too hot in canberra then, and we need a little longer to save.

Secret Love
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Because we wanted that specific date we had a lot of challenges to overcome-
flowers being more expensive at most places on Valentines
some reception venues having a surchage for an apparent public holiday (what a load of crock! Since when is valentines a public holiday!)
A possibility that roses wouldnt be the best quality
A feb wedding in summer in qld (thankfully the mountain in 5 degrees cooler than everywhere else.

BMB989
Forever & Always
Forever & Always

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:06 pm

We chose our date for a ccouple of reasons.
We started dating & got engaged on a Sunday so we wanted to be married on a Sunday.
We got engaged in Nov 07 and and wanted a long engagement
My Birthday is 9th March and Fh is 23rd August so we picked my birth-day and his birth-month which brought us 09.08.09.

undefined

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Engaged end of Feb, didn't want a long engagement and agreed Autumn (April-ish) would be an ideal time of year. Then I started looking at venues and one place that FH liked was increasing their prices next year. Leaving it as late as possible for their off season pricing, it was originally going to be September 18, one day before FH's birthday. After looking at that venue we weren't really sold on it, but after having had a few weeks to get used to the idea of a September wedding and already picked my dress, I was then querying dates around the same time. The only availability of the next place I liked was late August, so August 23 it is. Funnily enough, August 22nd will be our 6 year anniversary.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:11 pm

My Scottish Fh said noway to a summer wedding, so I thought March which is still sometimes really hot in Melbourne and then the Grand Prix is on and they couldnt release the dates for that until a few more months away, and that puts all of the accomdation prices up and availability is zero for overseas guests. So then I went into Ripponlea my venue and loved it so much I chose the earliest date availabe which was April and then she said they have a special Winter package starting in May which would save us thousands, so I chose Saturday the 8th of May, which is still Autumn and in this year May was perfect and sunny in Melbourne :D

Neon
Glowing Bride
Glowing Bride

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:26 pm

We wanted a March wedding, to fit around work commitments.

My birthday is the 17th, so the thought of having my birthday on our honeymoon was inviting. So we got married on the 14th.

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:30 pm

From the moment we started discussing marriage (years before we actually got engaged!) we said we would get married around end of 2010/start of 2011. FH proposed at the end of last year, and we wanted to stick with that timing which worked out well as we wanted a long engagement. We originally thought 11th dec 2010 because that would be 2 years to the day that we got engaged.. however we decided we wanted to have a longer honeymoon and be back in time for christmas, so 4th of dec it was. We had already decided on our venue, but because we were booking so far in advance there was still quite a few dates available.

Wiz

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:21 pm

We thought March or April would be nice... probably a sunday as we wanted a breakfast... March 1 was a sunday and seemed like a nice round number, and voila!

Jess_S
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:24 pm

We got engaged in 2008 and knew...
a) we wanted a wedding in 2009
b) we wanted a spring wedding around September/October

We decided on the 10th October 2009 after being given the option of a few different dates around that time from our reception venue because it was best for us and also was after FH's footy season finishing.

MissyB

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 pm

We got engaged in Hawaii on the 20th of March (which made it the 21st here). We were looking at the 21st of March 2009 to get married but that is FH's Mum's birthday which was completely out. March 20 falls on a saturday in 2010 so we decided that would be a nice link. Our wedding will be exactly 3 years to the day since we got engaged.

nic1010
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:24 pm

We got engaged the 10th of October, 2008 (my birthday) and decided about a year was long enough for the engagement.
We didn't want a winter wedding (footy season - half my family wouldn't turn up)
and I said no to summer wedding, i don't like the hot.
So we aimed for October - November.
October 10 was available at the venue we loved, and i liked the idea of being married on my birthday so we picked it :lol:

Little_Miss
He's my Sunshine
He's my Sunshine

Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 pm

- Knew we wanted to get married in 09 as I finished uni this year and want to take on FH's last name when I start my career.
- We wanted to get married on a Sunday to save a few dollars
- Our 6 year anniversary as a couple falls on Sunday, 15th November 09 - the date fit perfectly!
- The venues we fell in love with were available for our date :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.39