A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Charlene
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: How did you choose your wedding date?

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:02 pm

We looked at the weather - it gets really cold where we wanted to get married so we picked the end of September (spring wedding and all) and that was a year from when we decided on our venue and started getting organised, which we thought was a good timeframe for planning everything. BUT (this was in 2000) it was the Olympics so we were worried about flights/hire cars etc for both ourselves and travelling guests (we were living in WA and got married in QLD), so it came forward a month to 26 August. It did start getting a bit chilly at the end of getting photos done :o

Cheeky Roxy
Foxy Roxy
Foxy Roxy

Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 pm

We chose ours as it is the anniversary of when DF proposed to me!!

pinkprincess85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:36 pm

We are getting married on our 6 year anniversary! As soon as we knew it fell on a Saturday this year we knew we had to do it! :heart:

mosaik

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:33 pm

our original date was 06.09.09...We chose it because it was a Sunday, springtime, and the venue was available. I think it was a badluck date for us - it was father's day (not a big deal, but..) and the anniversary of my nan's passing...anyway, for other reasons we had to move our date. Our venue is by the beach so we decided that daylight savings was better so people could see the view, so we chose January, and we chose the 30th because its a full moon and the moon on the water and behind the lighthouse is just sooo beautiful. Moonrise is at 8.03 btw, I've done the research :oops:

D'sGirl
Bite Me!
Bite Me!

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:32 pm

We got engaged in November and wanted a pretty short engagement. We originally considered March / April but we had good friends getting married in May (we were both in the bridal party) so we didn't want to steal their thunder!

Didn't want June or August as we celebrate our birthdays. Didn't want to wait until October so decided on September. Wanted a Friday wedding but didn't want to do the last 2 weekends in September because of AFL finals so that left 4.9 and 11.9...it didn't bother FH but I didn't want to get married on September 11.....so the 4th it was!!!

GorgeousGiggles
Aaron's Future Wife
Aaron's Future Wife

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:51 pm

Ours is all to do with the numbers!!

20/09/2009 :D :heart:

pinklilli
♥together forever♥
♥together forever♥

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:10 pm

We initially thought September 2010, then we decided we didn't want to wait that long. So we picked march 2010, because I have this funny rule for myself that I have to be married before babies, and my 12 month waiting on my health insurance is up in march 2010. When we picked a reception venue they didn't have the room we wanted in March, but had 27 Feb 2010 available. Totally bizarre way to pick a date, but that's us :D

emsa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:06 am

We wanted a spring wedding for the lighting and better likelihood of good weather... on a meaningful date. Turns out October 16 2010 is a Saturday and will also be our fifth anniversary together, so it was a no brainer.

Shangri-La Bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:48 pm

We got engaged on the 07/08/05
Got married on the 07/08/08 - 3 years later.

jen86

Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Originally we wanted to get married in Summer/Autumn but now my FH is going to be going to Uni next year and we didn't want to wait an extra six months to the end of 2010 (we've already been engaged for a year) so we have July 3rd 2010 as it is the first saturday of the mid year uni holidays :D

jazzie
♥ His Chook ♥
♥ His Chook ♥

Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:39 am

We got engaged in sept 08 and knew we didn't want to wait much longer than a year. We were looking at sept/oct 09 on a friday to save money and had to fit our date around my little sisters HSC exams (her music exam is early sept and the actual exams start mid oct) so 25th sept just seemed to work! The venue had it free and so did the photographer so we booked! FSIL and FBIL got married 26th sept 08 so its a popular weekend!!

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:31 pm

We chose 26th January (Austrlia Day) mainly because we had a certain time of the year that we wanted to go on our honeymoon. As lame as this sounds, our honeymoon revolved around the surf (DH is a mad keen surfer so we were visiting places such as NZ, Tonga, Samoa, Hawaii) so we based it around the surf season. Then Australia Day that year was a Friday so we thought it would be awesome to have a Friday (public holiday) wedding so that it free's all of our guests up for the rest of the weekend, plus we get a public holiday every year for our anniversery.

Abbey_Lou
♥ Mrs Trethowan ♥
♥  Mrs Trethowan ♥

Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:38 pm

we were pretty flexible with regards to a date and time of year... we started looking at venues before we chose a date actually, as we knew there were different prices for different times of the year etc...
we ended up going with June, simply because winter was the only time of the year we were able to have our number of guests (100 people) in all of the venues we were choosing out of. The rest of the year you needed a minimum of 150. And the venues were a little over our budget, but in winter they fit in, so we decided to go with that!! I didnt really want it in winter at fest, but it meant we could have it at the venue we wanted, in our price range so it was worth it. And now I am kind of 'embracing' the idea of a winter wedding... making it my theme!! Its somethign different anyway!!

cdc
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:31 pm

well originally we were hoping for 19th nov, as that is our anniversary date

but with venue availability etc we ending up chosing 31 October 2009!!! :D

ali-jade
Style, Grace & Poise
Style, Grace & Poise

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 am

We got engaged on 5/9/08, which was our 4 yr anniversary as well as FH's birthday. I didn't really want the wedding to be on the same date because that would be a lot of occassions to celebrate on the one day!

We also didn't want to get married when the weather was hot so that confined it to either spring or autumn.

I also had it in my mind that I wanted a longish engagement - mainly to save money for the big day, and to have plenty of time to plan. So, that left us with some time in 2010.

I thought that spring 2010 (September / October) was a bit too far away so we settled on autumn 2010. We picked May, and decided on Sunday because our dream venue had cheaper rates and no requirement for our guests to stay for 2 nights minimum (all guests travelling to the Hunter Valley for the wedding).

We chose 9/5/2010, which coincidentally ended up being the reverse of our anniversary date (5/9).

kylee
Señorita Margarita
Señorita Margarita

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:51 am

We decided on 2010 because we needed time to save. It also had to be after the Cricket season as FH and 3/4 of the GM play for the same team. Then I wanted the wedding to be in Daylight Savings time (our ceremony isn't until 5pm) but didn't want it to clash with Easter. With our venue this left 2 dates, 13th of March or the 27th. The 13th of March was our best Man's 30th Birthday. So we went with the 27th

Emmsna

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:00 pm

We got engaged on 8th May this year which was a Friday. When I was looking at available dates for the Venue I realised 8th May was a Saturday next year - so thought perfect! 1st engagement anniversary = wedding date

snowravin
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:26 pm

fh wanted spring 2010, i said i wanted it sooner, so went for the winter solstice but it was a few days around my bd so we went a week later which falls on the full moon, so medieval theme in a castle with a full moon, now only thing left is for a little rain :D

seeingstars

Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:34 am

We had a lot of guests coming from interstate and overseas so we had to tie our wedding in with school holidays and found Easter to be a good time as the weather is generally pretty good around that time. Worked out really well and we even used the Easter theme a little with small Easter bunnies as favours.

excitedgirl

Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:14 pm

We were desperate for January and didn't want it too close to New Years so the 9th it is :)

This way we can have a long honeymoon before we both have to get back into work/study :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.3