A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

becca0303
Topic Author

WISHING WELL

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

I am having my wedding on the Tweed Coast – most guest will be travelling from Sydney and are making a holiday of it…
I don’t know what to do re a wishing well – we have been together for 10 years so I don’t need anything so a wishing well, gift of money is perfect - because guest are travelling is it rude to ask and how do I ask for a contribution and not sound rude

I don’t want to do a poem or anything as I am not a big fan of them, do I just have on the invite if you wish to make a gift cobtribtion, a gift of money is what we suggest and leave it as that…?

HELP!!
:roll:

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Re: WISHING WELL

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:18 pm

I personally wouldn't, seeing as your guests have to travel so far and pay for accommodation.

mellyk83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Dido leave it up to them

becca0303
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:37 pm

True, that is what I thought but i have most of my family up there so do I just add it to theirs and not traveling guests or just not at all
We travelled up there last month for my cousins wedding and we where asked for a gift of money and gave… so it made me think we have also we have had wedding in the Hunter which has cost us more than what most guests are paying as it quiet cheap accomodation….. I hope I don’t sound greedy as our wedding is not about the gift I am just trying to do what is best…
Maybe I am best to leave it, or just note if you would like to give a gift please cobtact….. for suggestions
:roll:

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:54 pm

I'd leave it, and if people ask what you'd like you can explain to them that there's very little you need, so if they run out of ideas vouchers or cash would be much appreciated. Perhaps also tell them that since it's a destination wedding you'll be unable to transport too much.

I think requests for cash or a monetary sum always sound better coming in person. :D

As for your family nearer the venue, if you tell a close relative like your mum that you would prefer cash, that will likely filter through the family pretty quickly.

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:02 pm

We are in the same situation- everyone is travelling- including us, so we are putting something along the lines of:

"We appreciate your efforts to spend our special day with us, and realise this is an expensive exercise in itself, so your efforts alone are present enough, but if you feel the need to contribute something for the married couple, a monetary donation placed in our wishing wheel will help us have a wonderful honeymoon."

becca0303
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Thats a good idea... i had one that said, but didnt know if it sounds like we were expecting gifts... i hust want people to contribute IF they want vtoo and not offend anyone

Travelling costs to keep in mind we understand a gift is harder to find
We have suggested a gift of money but only if you wish to participate
Please do not be offended by this type of request
as their day is complete by having you as their guest

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:41 pm

I think its really delicate since most guests are travelling.
I personally wouldnt put a wishing well poem in for anyone who had to travel.... IF you really want to I think what 7ITSS said sounds good, and not too corny :)
Good luck!

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:48 pm

The problem is that no matter how far guests have to travel, the majority of them will still feel that they have to get you a gift. And if you haven't specified anything about gifts, you will most likely get one and it'll be something that you don't need.

I would suggest something like:

No gifts necessary - your presence is present enough.
However, if you have decided to follow tradition with a gift, we respectfully suggest a contribution towards our __________ (name something).

Nikkie
Bitchin' Bride
Bitchin' Bride

Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Kwitty wrote:
The problem is that no matter how far guests have to travel, the majority of them will still feel that they have to get you a gift. And if you haven't specified anything about gifts, you will most likely get one and it'll be something that you don't need.

However, if you have decided to follow tradition with a gift, we respectfully suggest a contribution towards our __________ (name something).

I agree. I like Kwitty's wording, but I personally might not say 'follow tradition with a gift' because it may suggest that they will be doing something really unusual by not giving a gift. Which is probably true, but people who are struggling with the expenses might feel a bit more pressure.

Perhaps something like 'if you have decided to grace us with a gift...' :?:

chelle7
I survived and got married

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:26 pm

This is what our wishing well cards will say ...

"Your presence at our wedding is the greatest gift of all.

However should you wish to honour us with a gift, a contribution to our honeymoon will help to create memories that will last a lifetime."

becca0303
Topic Author

Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:57 pm

Are you having your wedding away?

Kwitty
Princess Kwits
Princess Kwits

Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Nikkie wrote:
Kwitty wrote:

I agree. I like Kwitty's wording, but I personally might not say 'follow tradition with a gift' because it may suggest that they will be doing something really unusual by not giving a gift. Which is probably true, but people who are struggling with the expenses might feel a bit more pressure.

Oh, yeah. I'm not sure why I said "follow tradition with a gift" - we didn't even say that on ours! :lol: "Grace us" or "Honour us" are great options.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:11 am

Nikkie wrote:
Kwitty wrote:

I like this wording, using Kwitty's statement and replacing that line with the line above :D
So something like this "No gifts necessary - your presence is present enough. However, if you have decided to grace us with a gift, we respectfully suggest a contribution towards our.......... (name something). This is short and simple, not making a big deal of it, and people can decide whether they do or dont :D

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:12 am

chelle7 wrote:
This is what our wishing well cards will say ...

"Your presence at our wedding is the greatest gift of all.

However should you wish to honour us with a gift, a contribution to our honeymoon will help to create memories that will last a lifetime."

PERFECT!! I love it :D

chelle7

Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:54 am

becca0303 wrote:
Are you having your wedding away?

Not sure if this was directed at me :D

But if it is ... Yup, we're getting married in the Snowy Mountains. Everyone will be travelling.

bec154

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:53 am

Personally, I would not mention a gift or wishing well to anyone who is traveling. If you have family who wont be traveling to the wedding then I would let your family e.g. mum, spread the word for you.

This is just my opinion, I really don't think anyone who has to travel should be put under more pressure to give a present / contribution. If you really want to be specific, the girls have made some good suggestions on how to word it :)

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 pm

I would just put - "a wishing well will be availible at the reception"

But I think in those instances I like to keep it short and sweet so people can make their own mind up

P.S. I don't think it's wrong to ask for gifts/money even though people are travelling, If I had to travel, I would still give a gift of some kind, even if it was small....

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Allicat9 wrote:
I would just put - "a wishing well will be availible at the reception"

But I think in those instances I like to keep it short and sweet so people can make their own mind up

P.S. I don't think it's wrong to ask for gifts/money even though people are travelling, If I had to travel, I would still give a gift of some kind, even if it was small....

Me too :D

emsa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:42 pm

Our cards say

"Our Honeymoon

As you may know, we have all the items needed for our home, therefore we will not be registering. Should you wish to honour us with a gift, a contribution towards making our honeymoon in the Cook Islands (and our first time overseas) even more memorable will be accepted with love and appreciation."
GZIP: On | Load: 0.27