A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Booking things too early

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Has anyone had bad experiences from suppliers re booking things in to early? I really want to get my florist booked in as she is VERY highly recommended but she thinks its way too early (I am prepared to pay the deposit now). Our wedding is in October next year.

EllieGoulet
Lady Eloise
Lady Eloise

Re: Booking things too early

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:35 pm

I would go with what the florist says - she / he is the expert, and they are no doubt overwhelmed with orders for the immediate and near future, especially if they're highly recommended.

It's probably worthwhile getting in nice and early for reception venues and photographers, however.

lila86

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:39 pm

If it's the florist you really want and you want to make sure it's locked in then I'd be booking. It's not like she has to actually do anything now other than take your booking and confirm your date.

mellyk83
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:40 pm

EllieGoulet wrote:
I would go with what the florist says
I agree, perhaps ask them when u r able to book for that date, they prob don't want to lock it in for prices and change of mind so far in advance so just ask when u can. My florist is very highly regarded on this forum and I booked her 6mths out

Allicat9
Lost the Golden Garter
Lost the Golden Garter

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:01 pm

I booked the important things quite early - so if this florist is important to you, I would suggest that you lock it in!

kristen_86
Princess Kristen
Princess Kristen

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:05 pm

I didn't book my florist till around 10 months out, while I booked everything else well in advance. Also my cake lady didn't take orders until 12 months before.

DB
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Did the florist tell you when you can book? I would hate for you to leave it and then someone else could come in and enquire about that date at the right time and get the booking ahead of you. Try and see if she will take a deposit to lock you in on that date. I don't understand why she won't take it now. Fair enough that you don't need to pick your flowers for another 10 or so months but there is no harm in booking the actual date.

kylee
Señorita Margarita
Señorita Margarita

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:07 pm

I booked my florist with over a year to go. We just put a little clause on the booking form to say that we would revise prices with 6 months to go and that if I felt there was an excessive price hike I would get my deposit back. Which means I can get other quotes closer to the date and know that I'm still getting a great deal but still the security of knowing she's booked in

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice girls! :D

craigs girl
The Bandit
The Bandit

Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:03 pm

If she is able to take bookings for next October now then definitely book her! I booked most things in Feb/March '08 for a May '09 wedding, so its roughly the same time frame as you with the florist.

cdc
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:25 pm

If shes the one you want i would definately book her asap!!

emsa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:32 pm

My wedding is October next year as well and I have booked EVERYTHING apart from hair and makeup - but I have booked a trial. The florist I wanted is very well known and I knew just from seeing pics of her work and the recommendations that I wanted her. There was no way I was risking not getting her so I rang her and said I know I'm early but I'm REALLY keen. I went and met with her and made the booking.

That was for Debbie O'Neill, I booked her last week.

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 am

We have cake bookings 2 years in advance often. If your cake person is a small business (from home) you need to book now.

janetburgman
JB
JB

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:36 am

i think the only problem with booking to early is if you find another supplier who is cheaper/better later down the track.

ric & crys
Mrs A
Mrs A

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:40 am

gosh what hope do i have then (nov 2011), we can book the big stuff now but not going to go for the other stuff until closer

cassrae
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm

I don't see why she couldn't book with you now, but maybe that's her policy.

I don't think you can ever book anything too early, in fact, the earlier the less stress on you! I am happy to book ahead of time with clients; in fact I have been booked over two years in advance in the past. I honour the prices quoted at that time so I don't see why other businesses can't do the same. However, every business is different!

If this florist is the florist you really have your heart set on, ask her when she may consider booking & keep in touch with her until then to make sure your date isn't stolen! :lol:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.5