A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Secret Love
Formally known as Monica23
Topic Author

No reception?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Is anyone not having a reception?
We are thinking of cutting ours out to save money. We are not into any of the traditional reception things- speeches, cake, first dance etc etc. We were thinking of just having an "after party" at a local bar which hires one of their rooms.
Any thoughts?

ChiChiBee82

Re: No reception?

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:09 am

Its really up to you. As long as you have some sort of celebration in your own way and involve ur family and closest friends its all good and you won't feel regret in the future. At the end of the day, the whole "wedding" thing is just abt 2 people in love planning to start a life together. You shouldn't feel any lesser if you decide not to spend up on a lavish reception just to show people how happy you are . Best of luck!

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:16 am

Monica23 wrote:
Is anyone not having a reception?
We are thinking of cutting ours out to save money. We are not into any of the traditional reception things- speeches, cake, first dance etc etc. We were thinking of just having an "after party" at a local bar which hires one of their rooms.
Any thoughts?

I have a friend of a friend who lived up to the average 40,000 wedding claim. However they had a quick 15 min ceremony and the rest of the money was spent on shouting guest drinks for the next 4 hours. I think they kinda organised a, for lack of a better word, pub crawl. Got married at one place at 8pm and kicked off the festivities, and guests were transported by bus to the next organised place. They had nibbles at one of the places as well.

kemseyelle
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am

Sounds great to me! We are having a cocktail reception but, apart from cake-cutting and some very brief speeches from our parents, it will be very informal and we intend it to be more like a party than a formal event. I think however you choose to celebrate your special day, your loved ones will just enjoy being part of it! Happy party-planning!

Secret Love
Topic Author

Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:06 am

kemseyelle wrote:
Sounds great to me! We are having a cocktail reception but, apart from cake-cutting and some very brief speeches from our parents, it will be very informal and we intend it to be more like a party than a formal event. I think however you choose to celebrate your special day, your loved ones will just enjoy being part of it! Happy party-planning!

This is what we have planned at the moment- an informal cocktail reception, I would really like to stick to it but I'm afraid I have left paying the balances for too long. We were going to have an open bar but now we will have to cut out the bar altogether.

ellejay
♥ totally married ♥
♥ totally married ♥

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:17 am

WHy not just have a dinner with your immediate families after the ceremony or some short and sweet drinks with nibbles if you want to save costs and aren't too fussed about the reception. Or just throw a more casual party afterwards so you still get the celebration but can be more low key. Anything goes, so make decisions tht suit you and FH :D

Moofairy
I survived and got married

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:25 am

ellejay wrote:
WHy not just have a dinner with your immediate families after the ceremony

That's what we did - celebration dinner with family. We also had a high tea reception which was very short but without the typical speeches, dances, etc for the guests to have a bite to eat and a drink. I dont see why you cant just have a waiter serve some sort of canapes/coctail style/just nibblies anything realy. we were at first not going to have a reception at all and just have the cake cutting out in the garden with some drinks served for the toast. But we ended up thinking about it more and decided to have the high tea as we had ppl travelling to be there and thought it would be rude to not serve them some sort of food and have them sit down and relax after the ceremony. We were also working on a budget so I know what you are trying to achieve. All the best with it, but just remember, do what makes you and fh happy! dont worry about what others might think.

Secret Love
Topic Author

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Moofairy wrote:
ellejay wrote:
WHy not just have a dinner with your immediate families after the ceremony

That's what we did - celebration dinner with family. We also had a high tea reception which was very short but without the typical speeches, dances, etc for the guests to have a bite to eat and a drink. I dont see why you cant just have a waiter serve some sort of canapes/coctail style/just nibblies anything realy. we were at first not going to have a reception at all and just have the cake cutting out in the garden with some drinks served for the toast. But we ended up thinking about it more and decided to have the high tea as we had ppl travelling to be there and thought it would be rude to not serve them some sort of food and have them sit down and relax after the ceremony. We were also working on a budget so I know what you are trying to achieve. All the best with it, but just remember, do what makes you and fh happy! dont worry about what others might think.

I noticed that you are from the GC, we found a nice venue at southport (courthouse hotel) it has a very nice/modern look.
It only costs $22 per person for a cocktail menu so we are going to do that. That way it will only cost us between $2000 & $2500 for food. We may supply just toasting champagne on the tab and leave it at that.
I think we will continue with our reception there are just have it informal without traditions, that way we are still doing something and we don't have to pay for cake, wedding decorators, bar tab etc.

Moofairy

Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:43 pm

I've heard of a few receptions there, sounds perfect. The idea that a wedding has to be a certain way drives me crazy, just do what suits I say :D

lili 2010
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:11 pm

I think that;s totally fine. An after party is still a celebration!! We're doing champagne, cupcakes and canapes at a nice bar after ours.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.07