A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!
Topic Author

Time off before wedding??

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 am

Hi ladies :-)

So I've just got a new job, which I'm very happy about *Yay me!*... however, there's one issue.
I was planning to take 3 weeks off for my wedding in Feb. The week prior to the wedding, and the 2 weeks after for a honeymoon in Thailand. As I haven't even started my new job yet, I wont have enough hols for 3 weeks by Feb. I have discussed my wedding with them though, and they've agreed to 2 weeks holidays.
That means I wont be able to have the week prior to the wedding off work since we want a 10 night honeymoon... I'm a bit worried now. I thought I could maybe try to swindle just the Friday before the wedding (our wedding is on a Saturday).
Can you ladies tell me how long you're taking off before your big day? And did anyone work right up or just have the day before off?

Thanks in advance :D

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Re: Time off before wedding??

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 am

I had a week off before and it was a godsend. I had so much little running around things to do (dropping stuff off to the venue the Weds before took a whole half day (damn centrepieces).

If you can't get more than 1 day off before then make sure you delegate!

MissChookz
Finally a MRS!!
Finally a MRS!!
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks luv. I 'spose I should've mentioned we're getting married at an 'all inclusive' venue... so i dont have to worry about centrepieces, chair covers, decorations etc etc. I will have FMIL dropping off the cake and bonbonieres the night before and thats it.
Lyrebird falls - where we're getting married, does the lot for you.
I'd still probably feel better if I had more time off, but since I haven't even got in the door at my new job yet I might have to wait before I try to squeeze some more time out of them!!!

MrsKo2b

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 am

I took 9 days off but I wanted to shorten it because one of the girls in my department has just started so I wanted to shorten my time off but my boss preferred that I stick to my original annual leave so that I can have a stress free wedding without having to worry about work.

DH took 3 days off in total.
Last edited by MrsKo2b on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uptownerd
*now with extra zing
*now with extra zing

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:42 am

MissChookz wrote:
Thanks luv. I 'spose I should've mentioned we're getting married at an 'all inclusive' venue... so i dont have to worry about centrepieces, chair covers, decorations etc etc. I will have FMIL dropping off the cake and bonbonieres the night before and thats it.
Lyrebird falls - where we're getting married, does the lot for you.
I'd still probably feel better if I had more time off, but since I haven't even got in the door at my new job yet I might have to wait before I try to squeeze some more time out of them!!!

Ahhh seeing that you don't have to drop anything off, that's better! See if you can swindle the Friday off so you can chill out.
If it's any consolation, my FH had no time off before or after (we had 2 weeks in between before we left for the honeymoon)... although grooms do get it easier.

kemseyelle
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Our venue also does a fair bit of the running around so I'm not worrying about taking too much time off, but I'm taking the Thu and Fri before off before our Saturday wedding (on the same Saturday as yours, wedding twin! :wink: ) just for peace of mind in case there is running around to be done, and because I don't think I'll be too much use to my work in the two days before anyway!

A friend of mine got married on a Sunday and just left work a bit early on the Friday afternoon - she didn't have any issues.

I think if you can get the Friday off, you'll be fine - and if you can't, you'll be A-OK as long as you are organised and delegate as much as possible.

PS - And a huge congrats on the new job - well done you! :D

bridalicious
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:01 pm

I took the semester off uni, purely because i couldn't concentrate and because I will be studying full time next semester because DD starts school. FH has the two weeks off before the wedding and the week after. We would have had a longer honeymoon but FH's boss get's married the week after us and they share the management position so one of them needs to be there at all times, and we would never have left our daughter for two weeks.

natblack
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Last edited by natblack on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LadyLucy666
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Depending what time of day you are getting married, I'd try to swingle the Friday. This gives you more time to prep yourself, and more time to just relax before the big event!

I'm lucky, one of my BMs has decided to take the week prior off from work (she doesn't want to have burn marks from work in the pics lol). So she's probably staying with us. She said she wants to make sure I don't have a freak out session, and that everything is organised and paid for, as most of our vendors etc want final payments in the that last week.

Good luck with whatever decision you come to!

SmilingGirl

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:15 pm

I too am getting married at Lyrebird Falls, but I am taking the week off. I presume that I will have to go up there to deliver additional table decorations and other stuff. I would at least ask for the Thurs and the Friday off, so then you don't feel like you have to rush. That said, I am hoping to be incredibly organised once the time comes plus I have a friend coming to stay from Perth so I would like be able to spend some time with her before the wedding.

taralee06
I ♥ eBay
I ♥ eBay

Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:25 pm

I'm having the week before off.

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 pm

I had a week too- we were also driving 1000kms so it helped to have lots of time!

chelle7
I survived and got married

Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm having a week off prior to the wedding. I'll have hair appts and beauty appts in that week. Also, we're planning on having my Bachelorette Party on the Thurs before the wedding.

We leave for our Hawaiian Honeymoon on the Wed after the wedding, so we're both having two weeks off after the wedding.

jaynage

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:53 pm

I had the whole week off leading up to the wedding, and so did DH. I had the time off because I had a lot to organise, and DH wanted to so we could spend some time together, and so he could help me.

Jodie1
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Im hoping to have a week off before the wedding or at least the Wed, Thurs & Friday. We are hiring a hall so need to do everything ourselves for set up.

Then looking at 6-7 weeks off for the honeymoon.

Crossing fingers I am allowed that much time off! haha
I have mentioned it to my boss now have to get it through the regional manager!!

spinkle
Wedded bliss
Wedded bliss

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:30 pm

The weekend before my wedding is the Easter long weekend, so I am planning to take my leave from good Friday so just over a week off beforehand. I am in a similar situation, just started a new job too and totally forgot about leave. I think I will have to take 5 days off unpaid as I would like a few days off following the honeymoon too. I think you would definately want the Friday before off at the very least as you don't want to be stressing if things need doing and it may be good to have some chill out time before and even treat yourself to a massage or something :)

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:37 pm

FH and I plan to have 4 weeks off work. The week before to organise anything the week after to honeymoon and a couple of spare days should we chose to expand it. Then a week to recover from our holiday lol. Plus a few days to send thank yous and wind down before returning to work. Thats the plan atm anyway

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:09 am

I'm not sure yet how much time I will be taking off before the wedding, I just wanted to say congrats on the new job :D

kimberlina81

Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:46 am

Hi

I took off four days and it was fine, albeit a bit pushed for time. But I had my hen's night on Thursday, plus lunches on both Thursday and Friday with friends and our rehearsal on Wednesday.. plus I did the following:

Got my cakes ready (filled and iced) - 4 served as dessert - choc mud and fruit cake
Baking and icing cookies for bon bons - 160 all up.
Making and printing seed packets for bon bons
Putting all bon bons together
Picking everything up - all equipment, extra items, flowers etc, inc a moving truck!
Decorating my wedding cake - as in the cake photo one (separate one to serving ones)
Finishing off all our diy jobs - we made just about all the decorations etc...lots of painting and stuff
All my appointments took a long time - hair colour, waxing, nails etc.
Organising and discussing our set up with our 'set up team' - our family and friends
Plus heaps of other random stuff that came up. We honestly had about 6 hours sleep a night from Wed on!

I don't think most people need a week. Sure it would be nice, but unless you are baking, diy'ing etc, I really don't think you need a whole week. Although you probably will need to leave early throughout the week (or get late appointments) to get all your beauty appointments in such as the nails, hair etc. A day (or two, which would be better) would be sufficient for most people I think.

Hope that helps. :D

ldr10
♥ Mrs R. ♥
♥ Mrs R. ♥

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:35 am

Congrats on the new job!!

I'm having the week leading up to the wedding off - but that is only cos it's school holidays
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36