A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥
Topic Author

Opinion/advice on flowers please?

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:32 pm

We're having a beachy wedding. The ceremony is at a park on the beach and the reception is at a surf club on the Gold Coast right on the beach. Our theme colours have been yellow and blue. I really, really, really want franigpani bouquets to suit the beach theme, and to tie in the yellow colour, with blue bridesmaids dresses. The table runners and chair sashes were going to be yellow, with blue noodlebox favours filled with lollies. We were going to have one of the following centrepieces, or something similar.
I've spoken with a bunch of florists who say we can't get frangipanis due to the season (9 October 2010 is the wedding day). They also say they bruise easily and are fairly hard to work with. I've looked into silk flowers but they'd end up costing $400+ anyway, and I'm not too fussed on keeping the bouquet as I'm not going to drag them out in a couple years to look at anyway.
Now I'm thinking I should scrap the frangipani idea and go with something else. I love gerberas and tulips, and I've been told gerberas are easier to get and easier to work with. We could even go to the markets and DIY. But how will that fit in with the theme? What about centrepieces? I'm confused. I'm so clueless when it comes to flowers.
Last edited by chellebelle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥
Topic Author

Re: Frangipanis V gerberas

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:33 pm

We can choose from these centrepiecs:
http://www.allaboutvenues.com.au/table_decorations.php

I'm trying to imagine them with geberas instead of the other flowers featured but am having imagination troubles :lol: We're going for round tables.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:38 pm

She is probably right about the season for frangipanis. I think they are more a summer flower. We had our wedding at the end of January and they were in full bloom then. Our florist had no troubles working with them (they never bruised) and they were just superb.

But seeing as your wedding is October, might be best to look at alternatives. You can get gerbras in so many bright colours so it might be easier to find something you want in the right colours. Both blue and yellow gerbras look lovely together.

Or you could go for a fairly plain white flower - it will match absolutely everything and I think white flowers are rather elegant. Our white and yellow gerbras were mixed with white phali orchards.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:45 pm

Do you have any pictures of those? Maybe I could use white and yellow gerberas with teeny blue flowers?
I googled gerberas and found some white and yellow bouquets, but they didn't blow me away :?

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:44 pm

I had silk frangipani bouquets and ones made of very thin foam for my hair, and they looked great. Not trying to make you use them, just saying in case you're still considering. I had a few comments asking me if they were real!

Gerberas would look good I think:

although with yellow and blue blooms instead of pink

Something simple:

Gardenias are pretty too:

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥
Topic Author

Re: Opinion/advice on flowers please?

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

TinaBeans, where did you get your silk frangipanis from?

The gerberas and roses actually look a lot nicer together then I thought they would. See, I'm hopeless with flowers :roll: Maybe white gerberas and little yellow roses would look nice together. Definitely something to start looking into!!

allsaintswedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Perhaps you could look into using blue irises? They would fit in with your theme of blue and yellow.

Katybug
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:22 pm

What about a white & yellow Asiatic lily?

They're in season year round according to the Sydney Flower Market and are similar in their colouring to frangipanis (although a bigger bloom).

Samantha Lee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Have you thought about having Phalaenopsis Orchids? They are beautiful and have a beachy feel to them.

TinaBeans

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:47 pm

I got mine from a shop in Toowoomba:
Premier Cane & Flowers
480 Ruthven St
Toowoomba
(07) 4638 1363

but there are heaps on places online that sell them- a few people here have used Floraland on Ebay.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.5