A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

*chooky*
Topic Author

Met the DJ last night - not too impressed..... (vent)

Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:56 pm

So we have paid the deposit a while ago, and had an appt with the DJ last night to run through songs etc. I gave him my list of songs, and he turned his nose up at them, and tried to pursuade me to use more traditional 'wedding' songs. :roll: I ended up saying "don't laugh at my song choices! These are the songs we like, and if you don't want to play them, I will run a CD through my celebrant's system". He even wrote on my sheet "totally ignore" and showed me and had a giggle. I was fuming! FH was trying to be lighthearted because he knew I was getting a bit upset. I have chosen a few groovy songs to play before the ceremony, but he thinks we should be Michael Buble or something more subdude. Then, as I was telling him that it was going to be a party more than a traditional wedding, he kind of looked funny. I gave him a list of songs to choose from for the reception (70's disco and funk, 80's pop and a few newies), and he wrote "retro bride". I don't want songs like the chicken dance IYKWIM! I also want to have a little intro to each speaker (we are only having 3 speeches), eg: Best Man - The Eye of the Tiger etc... but DJ said it's too fiddly and time consuming. I just didn't get the feeling it was my decision, and he was wanting to do a cookie-cutter wedding - which is what we don't want!!!! I guess i should email him with my decisions hey... if that's what we want, that's what we should get!!!! :evil:

nettiecakes
♥ Mrs Quack ♥
♥ Mrs Quack ♥

Re: Met the DJ last night - not too impressed..... (vent)

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 pm

he sounds like a massive douchebag.
intros are so not "fiddly and time consuming", he sounds lazy and uninterested and like he doesnt know how to use the programs needed for them..
i would definately try to get your message across! but are you able to get your deposit back? are there any other DJs?
good luck :heart:

kemseyelle
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 pm

He sounds awful!

It's not up to him to make judgement calls about what you do or don't want on your day, or criticise your choices/taste, or worst of all, totally ignore your wishes! It's great if he wants to make suggestions or give you ideas, but at the end of the day, you're paying him to give you the day you want.

And he certainly doesn't sound like he's much good at his job if it's too "fiddly" to just play a flippin track and the right flippin time, ie, when someone walks into the room! Errr, not rocket science! :roll:

I would seriously consider going elsewhere, even if it means losing the deposit. If it was me, I'd be giving him a big serve too and making sure he was pretty clear on why he's being turfed for someone else! :x

Good luck!

rach85
Google is my best friend
Google is my best friend

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Get a different DJ, Ours was a bit more expensive than alot around our town, but he did an awesome job & played what I wanted. - He jazzed it up with old old songs (like we wanted to dedicate a song to Dh grandma who passed away a few months before so the DJ found this ancient copy AND burnt it (& our other songs choices) onto a cd & had it personally printed for us with our names etc & that was our "wedding present" from the dj! It is awesome & we play it alot:
The varience of our songs was "Moon River" 1950s? (for Gran) Amazed by Lonestar - country love, our "song" Get the party started by Pink, Il Divo, Bryan Adams, "im yours" Mraz etc etc - heaps different styles & it wasnt a prob- so with your heart & onstincts, get what you want - they are a part of your whole reception & you wil only stress & get annoyed if they dont put your style of music on!

hazzbang
~ Bargain Bride ~
~ Bargain Bride ~

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:22 pm

:e_wall: <<<< bit of that might get the concept thru to him!

kristen_86
Princess Kristen
Princess Kristen

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:23 pm

He sounds like he wants to do as little work as possible. And Dj's wonder why they get such a bad rap *sigh*

The Leader
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Some poeple just like to work in their comfort zones by repeating the same stuff wedding after wedding!

The DJ
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:03 am

Sounds to me like he doesnt really want to go out and buy new music, and would much prefer just to use his standard playlist.

I would if I were you, specify songs thats MUST be played at certain times (dinner, dancing, key events etc), and tell him that you thought about his suggestions, but thats how you WILL be having your wedding. Do it nicely, but firmly.

Intros arent fiddly, they just unfortunately rarely work. Most of the time, the speaker is too keen and jumps up out of their seat way too early, and you either get like 3 seconds of the song, or you end up playing it whilst they are standing there. Just let him know that you or your MC will speak to each speaker individually and tell them not to jump up too early, and to let like 10 seconds of the song play before they make their way to the podium. Also assure him that the order of your speeches are locked in and all he has to do is play the songs in the correct order. He can't complain about that. He has probably had clients before who have swapped and added speakers on the night and maybe hes played them in the wrong order.

I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:42 am

You need to be 100% happy with all of your suppliers, otherwise you will be worrying about it constantly. Also, the music can really set the tone of the day so you want someone who will work with you. The guy sounds like a complete waste of money :x - I would definitely be looking for someone else if you can afford to lose your deposit.

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:16 pm

I would be getting a new DJ!

Jodie1
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:20 pm

I would be getting rid of that DJ! How awful!!

funkytwigs
♥ love forever always ♥
♥ love forever always ♥

Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I agree - let this dj know exactly what he will be playing at your wedding. Its your party, not his and you know what music will get yourself and your guests into party mode. If he did not want to play anything other then his standard playlist, then why ask what music you wanted played???? And why did not he not be upfront about this when he took your money. My MOh has just been given a partial refund for her dj from her march wedding cause he totally ignored quite afew of her song request, did not have the right playlist and thought no one would notice. She very adamant no Robbie williams at all ( she hates his songs) he played 3, and then when we asked for kylies on a night like this by special request of the bride as our girlie dance by not one person but two bm, and three mates it never got played.(he played robbie/kylies kid song instead!!!) At least he got the three main songs right but as for the rest, it was disappointing and put a slight dampner on the festivities. The music is very important so if your dj does not want to play your stuff, then i be requesting a refund of your deposit ( as he can not provide the servcie you have paid for) and going elsewhere.

*chooky*
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:43 pm

mmm, problem is that our wedding is in less than 3 weeks now! So may have to lump it. I will email him.. was talking to FH about it tonight... he has actually cut out our speech intros; changed our cakecutting song; and bridal waltz! Um hello!!!!?????? BTW - do you think "My First, My Last, My Everything' by Barry White is too fast for our first dance?

nettiecakes
♥ Mrs Quack ♥
♥ Mrs Quack ♥

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:46 pm

sorry, just to clarify - did FH or DJ cut the songs?

and no i don't think it will be too fast

*chooky*
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:59 pm

sorry, the DJ -

nettiecakes
♥ Mrs Quack ♥
♥ Mrs Quack ♥

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:04 pm

f*ck him!!! i'd rather use an ipod than him... :? kick his AS$!!!

*hugs* :heart:

The DJ
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Why would he change your cake cutting song?

Of all the things in the world for a DJ to have concern over, your choice of cake cutting song is not one of them. It makes ZERO difference to him what song you want played for that.

My First, My Last, My Everything is a fast song, but it's your dance not his. I've seen many fast songs as first dances, people still enjoyed them. He can make recomendations but in the end it is your choice. Do you know if he is a DJ that works for himself, or for a company? If he works for a company I'd be onto them for a new DJ. They shouldn't have too much trouble swapping them over.

I don't want to assume things, but is this just a matter of you not wanting to upset him by ignoring his recomendations and telling him how things will be done? Because you have every right to specify every last detail of the night in regards to the DJ. I would personally just ignore the meeting you had, and inform him of the songs you want like he never made recomendations in the first place. Just tell him that the two of you talked it over and these are your choices.

elised
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:39 am

Get rid of the DJ. If you are that nervous about him now (which you have every right to be), imagine how nervous you will be about him on the day.
We pay suppliers money (more due to it being a wedding) to ensure that things go as we planned it to go, not to be surprised on the day!!
Use a laptop, use an i-pod or try for a different DJ

FLG

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 am

Last edited by FLG on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:12 pm

What a d!ck! Get rid of him, I am sure you can get another DJ at short notice that will only be too happy to comply with your choices and directions.

He either sounds very very arrogant, or just very very lazy because he doesn't want to put a bit of effort in.

I love weddings with unique music so for me, I would really emphasise how important it is that you get what you want.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.57