A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

snowpen
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Slight panic - reception duration

Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:34 pm

Scarlett wrote:
Maybe you could let people know earlier on that you plan to party on. Most guests will try to follow the tradition of waiting until the bride and groom leave before they can make tracks - so maybe you could quietly let those people who you are worried about that you don't plan on leaving early and that they shouldn't feel like they had to stay.

I was at a wedding once where the couple planned to stay til the very end....but failed to tell everyone! Me, and lots of others, sat around for hours just wanting to go home!!! I think it depends on your guests....

That's brilliant advice, Scarlett - thanks heaps for that. We probably wouldn't have thought to do that but it makes so much sense. We've set up a wedding website with all the details and we'll keep updating it as and when we make decisions etc so we'll definitely put it on there. But I think we'll maybe get the groomsmen to pop round to each table during the meal and let everyone know that we'll stay till the end, in case anyone wants to arrange a taxi to get home earlier.

Ooh, this is such a good way to get great advice and opinions. Love it!!!! Thank you! :heart: :heart:

jumy
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 am

We were married at 3.30. Had canapes on the lawn area from 4.30 and reception started at 6. Dinner was about 6.30-6.45 and we ended up leaving about 10.30. Guests wrapped up about an hour later

TinaBeans
Catchin Up on Mah Stories
Catchin Up on Mah Stories

Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:25 am

Most weddings I have been to have ended around 10.30-11.30. I guess if you friends and family usually party that late, then it'll be a great night.

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:37 pm

Our ceremony starts at 3.30pm and then cocktails and canapes at 5pm - the sit down reception will start at 6pm and go through to 12 midnight, this is the latest we can have it go due to the reception shuts being a national trust building. I thought this was a little bit too early as nearly every wedding I have been to has finished at 1am but considering our venue is right near chapel st and the CBD, the younger ones can party on after midnight. I think it sounds fine :D

Shane_ephraims
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:32 am

If you keep the band playing and the alcohol flowing people will stay and have a great time especially if your having 200+ reception, i have had many weddings cut short at midnight when everyone was having a ball!

snowpen
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:51 am

Shane_ephraims wrote:
If you keep the band playing and the alcohol flowing people will stay and have a great time especially if your having 200+ reception, i have had many weddings cut short at midnight when everyone was having a ball!

Hmm... not quite 200 guests! About 70 at the moment...!!

So, we've asked probably about 20 of our guests what they thought and they've all said that they'd happily party on till 1am, so I think we're sticking with what we've got. I am still a little unsure but had to make a decision. FH is all for going to 1am too, so I guess gut instincts and original plans count for something.

Thanks gals and guys for all your thoughts and input. :heart:

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 pm

snowpen wrote:
Shane_ephraims wrote:

So, we've asked probably about 20 of our guests what they thought and they've all said that they'd happily party on till 1am, so I think we're sticking with what we've got. I am still a little unsure but had to make a decision. FH is all for going to 1am too, so I guess gut instincts and original plans count for something.

Good I love attending weddings that go through to 1am, you have made the right choice. I wish ours didnt finish at 12midnight, maybe we can party on at Chapel St as well as the guests :wink:

Shane_ephraims
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:28 am

snowpen wrote:
Shane_ephraims wrote:

Just make sure the reception center knows about that because they can be quite rude at times and kick you out, it did happen once, very unprofessional.

Violet Blue
HisGoffickHalf
HisGoffickHalf

Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 am

Something I've heard of is arranging a mini or normal bus to take all the younger or just wanting to party guests on to a nightclub after the bride and groom leave.

Our wedding is small and no dancing sadly...but FH and I will be following the first to leave custom and hopefully leaving at 10pm which we are massively excited about as we have no time alone together on the wedding day.

Jodie1
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:03 am

Our ceremony is at 2.30pm and reception starts at 6pm. Music has to be off at 12 (residential area) and everyone has to be out by 1pm!

At this stage we are thinking the band can announce us leaving just before 12 and then it gives our guests time to head off and our lovely helpers to clean up.

snowpen
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:21 pm

Shane_ephraims wrote:
snowpen wrote:
Shane_ephraims wrote:

Just make sure the reception center knows about that because they can be quite rude at times and kick you out, it did happen once, very unprofessional.

We had to arrange with the venue to have access till 1am so that we could tell the band they could play till then. The venue charge an additional staffing surcharge for every hour past midnight so they are well aware that we are having our reception till 1am.

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Well Miss, you've got it all sorted & thats great - now where's my invite to party haaardddd :lol: bbbhhhaaaaa Im so funny not haha

No sorry, seriously, sounds like a fantastic night & you guys are going to have such an unreal time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snowpen
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Miss2Mrs wrote:
Well Miss, you've got it all sorted & thats great - now where's my invite to party haaardddd :lol: bbbhhhaaaaa Im so funny not haha

No sorry, seriously, sounds like a fantastic night & you guys are going to have such an unreal time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahah!! :D Thanks Miss2Mrs!! I really hope soooo!!!

Shane_ephraims
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 pm

Shane_ephraims wrote:
snowpen wrote:
Shane_ephraims wrote:

We had to arrange with the venue to have access till 1am so that we could tell the band they could play till then. The venue charge an additional staffing surcharge for every hour past midnight so they are well aware that we are having our reception till 1am.[/quote]

Ahh, thats awesome, it sounds like you have a great time ahead of you. I wish you all the best!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35