A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

smsmith86@gmail.com
Topic Author

Overseas Wedding

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:46 am

Hi guys!

I am recently engaged and new to this forum...my fiance and I are considering a wedding overseas and I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with overseas weddings - have you had one, planning one or been to one??

While holidaying in Thailand in January, we stayed at an amazing resort in Phuket which had two weddings while we were there. It was absolutely beautiful - right on the water without the sand and an amazing sunset...a stunning setting you just won't find in Australia. We both love travelling and love the idea of marrying overseas.

What are the pro's/con's? What should we look out for and consider?? Other than the flights, would cost be less as everything in Thailand is cheaper??

Would really love ANY feedback from anyone, thank you in advance!!!

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Re: Overseas Wedding

Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi smsmith- congrats on your engagement!! There are lots of girls getting married overseas, check out the destination/eloping section of the forum :)

ric & crys
Mrs A
Mrs A

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:39 pm

we are having ours in NZ, most ppl have been really looking forward to it and using it as a holiday, however be prepaired that it may turn some ppl off (in my case my sister decided it was too much hassle and she couldnt "affort it" even though we gave 18months notice), os weddings seem to be cheaper (more bang for your buck) and its exciting as its also a holiday so its not just another day.
we are relying on email and those who get back to us quickly, friendly and have good prices get our business (we are actually thinking of cutting the dj as he was good in begin with but hasnt got back to us all month :evil: ) with the internet these days its really easy.
I would also suggest just using forums (even os ones) and just ask for advise as word of mouth is the best.

erin993
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:04 pm

I am going to one of my best friends wedding in Bali in August. I believe for them, it is somewhat cheaper to have the wedding overseas, but then for their guests then it is obviously much more expensive. You have to weigh up if you want any of your family and friends to come, and then work out if they are prepared to come. Or, do you want to get married overseas by yourselves or with just a few other people and then come home and have a huge party to celebrate that????

ric & crys
Mrs A
Mrs A

Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:08 pm

erin993 wrote:
I am going to one of my best friends wedding in Bali in August. I believe for them, it is somewhat cheaper to have the wedding overseas, but then for their guests then it is obviously much more expensive. You have to weigh up if you want any of your family and friends to come, and then work out if they are prepared to come. Or, do you want to get married overseas by yourselves or with just a few other people and then come home and have a huge party to celebrate that????

I spose I forgot to mention that fortunatley for us more than 50% of the guest list lived in NZ so overall it worked out cheaper for us and most of the guests.

but if you give enough notice and find deals (I have heard that alot of places offer really cheap good accomodation with destination weddings) and sell it as a holiday then alot of people may warm to the idea

hlc
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:54 pm

I'm having mine in nz because my fh and I are both kiwis. I would love to have a wedding in Thailand it's beautiful!

Some thoughts

Pros
uniqueness of destination wedding
holiday for guests
exchange rate / costs

Cons
harder to plan unless u get a package
very reliant on info online / communication back and forth takes awhile before decisions can be made
guests may not be able to attend

erin993
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue May 04, 2010 1:42 pm

If anyone needs a good wedding planner in Bali, my friend can reccomend the people she went through that have been fantastic. She fired the original planners as they were not getting back to her, and she has found an Australian who does weddings in Bali (lives in Bali) for a living.

lonnie0503

Tue May 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Wow, it really answer all my questions. At least now I know what is my next plan for my wed. I am currently away from my fiancee and planning to wed this coming June 11. We did not see yet each other however I really feel something different.

Thanks guys for a cool forum.

travelbugz

Re: Overseas Bali Wedding

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 pm

If anyone is considering using a Wedding planner in Bali by the name of Stacey under a company name Bali Exclusive weddings I would recommend to stay clear of this guy. He has no experience in event management and is terrible with communication and will try to rip you off by marking up prices even though his charges a steep co ordination fee...

djmoonlight

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:04 am

thanks for your nice wedding!!! :heart:

djmoonlight

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:06 am

wow its a great and wonderful wedding ..... :heart: :wink:

djmoonlight

Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:08 am

:wink: wow its so nice wedding and very great.

karina.angela

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 am

amberino21 wrote:
Hi smsmith- congrats on your engagement!! There are lots of girls getting married overseas, check out the destination/eloping section of the forum :)

Hi im new to this... where's this section?

nata_mcd

Re: Bali wedding

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:47 pm

I can recommend a wonderfull wedding oganizer in Bali, his name is Ketut, mail murtaketut@yahoo.com
He assist and help us with organizing the wedding in Bali in 2009, as soon as we had not so high budget, his prices was more than low, and service very high.

nata_mcd

Re: Bali wedding

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:01 pm

I can recommend a wonderfull wedding oganizer in Bali, his name is Ketut, mail murtaketut@yahoo.com
He assist and help us with organizing the wedding in Bali in 2009, as soon as we had not so high budget, his prices was more than low, and service very high.

~chocolat~
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Last edited by ~chocolat~ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karina.angela

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:40 am

YAY thank you

miss_rebecca

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:12 pm

I think for a small wedding it's a wonderful idea! Your closest friends and family will make the effort to go overseas if they can... it's a nice excuse for them to have a holiday!

permadi

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm

try contact company called lombok wedding.
their website http://www.lombokwedding.com or contact them at info@lombokwedding.com for bali or lombok weddings.
or check their flickr page at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lombokwedding as I'm browse at their page and I'm see a lot of wedding chapel in bali at their photo shoots.
I hope this can help.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.16