A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride
Topic Author

Filipino and Hindu Weddings - HELP!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm Filipino and Catholic. FH is Fiji-Indian and his family are Hindu. We are planning on having a Catholic wedding at a church in the early afternoon and then a Hindu ceremony at the reception venue.

Has anyone done anything like this? Is it actually possible to have the two ceremonies on the same day? Or am I being unrealistic?

~chocolat~
I survived and got married

Re: Filipino and Hindu Weddings - HELP!

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Last edited by ~chocolat~ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am

Hi, I know nothing of FIlipino and Hindu weddings but I'm also having a Catholic nuptial mass and a traditional Chinese tea ceremony after the mass, just as a mark of respect for the elders. I don't see it as a problem because it's all about arranging the timing in advance and strictly sticking to it. Not sure how long your Hindu ceremony takes but you could arrange with the church for the earliest mass of the day, like 10am maybe?

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:05 am

Hi, I had a catholic ceremony in sydney then a week later i had a hindu ceremony in Fiji. It is possible to have them on the same day but is a lot. The catholic ceremony would take 30-45 minutes if its the short ceremony and not a full mass. The hindu ceremony i had which was shortened from a traditional ceremony was about 2 hours long. I absolutely loved both of my weddings and i think i made the right decision having them seperate. I got to wear my white dress all day and i got experience the whole hindu wedding experience and all the little games and traditions that went with it.
It is possible it just depends on what parts you want.

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Autumn2010 wrote:
Hi, I had a catholic ceremony in sydney then a week later i had a hindu ceremony in Fiji. It is possible to have them on the same day but is a lot. The catholic ceremony would take 30-45 minutes if its the short ceremony and not a full mass. The hindu ceremony i had which was shortened from a traditional ceremony was about 2 hours long. I absolutely loved both of my weddings and i think i made the right decision having them seperate. I got to wear my white dress all day and i got experience the whole hindu wedding experience and all the little games and traditions that went with it.
It is possible it just depends on what parts you want.

Have you got an S&T, Autumn2010?? I'd love to see how yours turned out.

~chocolat~ wrote:
Perhaps you would need to do the Catholic one late morning (say 11:30) and the Hindu one straight after, rather than at the reception? That way you can have time for photos and a bit of a relax? It might be a long day for you tho...

FH and I decided to have both ceremonies on the same day cos we both felt that the second ceremony would feel a bit unnecessary if we had it on another day.

At the moment, the church is booked for 2pm because the earlier timeslot was 9:30am, which I felt was a bit early. But now, I'm thinking that maybe that's the best time, after all. I guess we could have the morning ceremony and then photos, get ready for Hindu wedding...and if it is a 2 hour thing, maybe have it in an outdoor venue and have photos... then I can change back into my gorgeous Maggie Sottero dress and go to the reception.

Is the shortened version really 2 hours??

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:58 am

I haven't currently got any photos up but if your on face book i can send you the link to my album there. I was told by family that ours was shortened so whether that was a bum steer i'm not sure :lol:
If you have the ceremony at 9:30 that could be a really long day. Have you chosen a venue yet? You could probably do what some friends of mine did, they had a normal wedding then when the time came for reception they did some traditional tongan stuff at the start in the traditional outfits then changed back into wedding atire afterwards. You could start the reception of with a very short hindu blessing type thing - or mainly the walking around with the ribbon part of the ceremony- then afterards change back into your dress and have a fusion of both for the rest of the wedding.

Akanksha

Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:49 am

I'm hindu and FH is Aussie so we're doing both ceremonies on the same day. This is what we've got planned.

(BTW everything is happening at one venue to make things easier)

1.30 (exchanging of the flower garlands) and then we'll take photos

2.30 Hindu ceremony in the gardens (I've negotiated with my mother to have it only 30-45mins!)
(time in between to get changed! and we will have a tea/coffee station for the guests)
4.00 Civil ceremony in the chapel (this will go for 30 mins)
(then the bridal party will get photos taken in the white dress!)
5pm - have pre-dinner drinks served and reception will start at 6

My biggest concern was keeping the guests entertained!

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride
Topic Author

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Thanks for your all your advice, girls!

I just went through an Catholic/Hindu wedding last weekend. Both of them were Indian but the groom was Catholic. They had the Catholic ceremony at 9am at the church and then the Hindu ceremony later at 7pm which was finished by 8ish! They had a reception the next day but it probably could've been left out 'cos the Hindu ceremony was so short. Anyways... here's what I had in mind.

9:30 - 10:30 Catholic ceremony

then photos for about 3 hours or so and then go to a hotel to change into the indian wedding saree.

6:30 - 7:30 Hindu ceremony at the reception venue

then change back to white dress (someone would have to bring this for me)

8is - 12midnight: Have a fusion reception. FH wouldn't need to change. We'd just need to find him an Indian suit that would match with my white dress.

What do you think?

~chocolat~

Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Last edited by ~chocolat~ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:47 am

Do you really need 3 hours for photos? having the day start at 9:30 then such a long gap betwen is going to make it difficult for guests. I really think you need to make them much closer in some way. are you going to have henna done?

hastier

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Boncales, your timings look pretty much spot on. Indians are used to eating late and finishing up at 1am or so. You might need more than half an hour to do the dress change at the reception though as every White/Indian wedding I've seen requires hair and jewellery changes as well.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36