A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

During dinner?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm trying to put together a list of some songs to be played by the DJ during dinner. Did everyone else have music playing during dinner? I don't want anything to slow to put everyone to sleep or something too loud that interupts conversation.
Does anyone have some suggestions?
I was thinking maybe:
The Way you make me feel – Michael Jackson
Just the way you look tonight – Michael Buble
All you need is love - The Beatles

mini_k27
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥

Re: During dinner?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:36 pm

I personally would have slower music. Generally it is only background music while your guests have their dinner, and not too many people will be listening to it as such. However if the music is too fast, they will subconsciously feel rushed while they're eating. On the other hand, if it's slower they will feel relaxed while they're eating (but I'm sure they won't fall asleep).

I think anything Michael Buble is a good choice, I also like Brooke Fraser. If you want you could go some of the older stuff, like Fleetwood Mac, Elvis, etc etc.

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:44 pm

mini_k27 wrote:
I personally would have slower music. Generally it is only background music while your guests have their dinner, and not too many people will be listening to it as such.

Ditto to the above.

Some good options (a lot of these are older style songs/music, but just perfect for background music during dinner):
Dean Martin
Frank Sinatra
Sammy Davis Junior
Etta James
Michael Buble
Van Morrison
Rod Stewart - I thoroughly recommend checking out his 4 "Great American Songbook" albums, they are fantastic for this type of music!

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:45 pm

^^Agreed, that's pretty much what our's will be too :D

optimistvik
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 pm

How about some evergreen romantic songs like
Just called to day---steve wonder
nothing gonna change...george benson
careless whispers--------george michael
every thing i do----------bryan adams

These songs never fail to give me goose bumps

deedeedee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:13 pm

I'll be asking my dj to play stuff like
Michael Buble
Ben harper (his slower songs)
Norah Jones
Frank Sinatra

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:37 am

music is one thing im really getting into for the wedding- ive got a million different lists for different parts of the day/night so that there is the right atmosphere etc.
all of the songs are happy songs, and about love in some way. during dinner will be nice bubbly romantic songs and a few accoustic love songs etc- so that its happy music, not too loud to distract from conversation, bubbly enough that people can tap their feet along IYKWIM
I can send you my list if you still need help :)

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:50 am

Aren't you paying your DJ to play suitable songs?

If you really have to come up with a list for your DJ, then I agree with the posts above, romantic, soft, jazzy, evergreen music.

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:02 pm

Last edited by Miss2Mrs on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neva_givup

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

mini_k27 wrote:
I personally would have slower music. Generally it is only background music while your guests have their dinner, and not too many people will be listening to it as such. However if the music is too fast, they will subconsciously feel rushed while they're eating. On the other hand, if it's slower they will feel relaxed while they're eating (but I'm sure they won't fall asleep).

I think anything Michael Buble is a good choice, I also like Brooke Fraser. If you want you could go some of the older stuff, like Fleetwood Mac, Elvis, etc etc.

I agree! Slow easy listening type should not disrupt the guest. And also, to make sure the music to be played at a moderate volume (preferably backgroud music volume) is, I think it's important. If you imagine a fancy restaurant and how they usually have all these easy to listen tracks in a softer volume that might give you a better idea of what I mean! Likek mini_l27 said, fast music should be avoided too.

If you like, I think something like slow jazz music, brazillian (like bossa nova), ballads are the safe choices to make.

xkellie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:40 pm

when we did our music, i basically put all our favourite songs in a list and then split them into music you could dance to (with a good beat) and music you can't. the music you can't will be dinner music. most of it, as everyone has said, is slower, easy listening stuff.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.41