A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife
Topic Author

Trash the Dress question

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:53 pm

I'm considering doing a Trash the Dress shoot; I really want some awesome artistic photos of us in water and stuff, but I really don't want to actually trash my beautiful authentic Maggie S. dress. :oops: So I'm considering buying a cheap replica through D or Milly, just for the TTD shoot. Has anyone ever done this, and if you did, did you get the same dress made up for the TTD shoot as you wore on your wedding day, or did you take advantage of the opportunity to get a different one? :mrgreen:

almostthere
finallydone
finallydone

Re: Trash the Dress question

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:59 pm

MalinViktoria wrote:
I'm considering doing a Trash the Dress shoot; I really want some awesome artistic photos of us in water and stuff, but I really don't want to actually trash my beautiful authentic Maggie S. dress. :oops: So I'm considering buying a cheap replica through D or Milly, just for the TTD shoot. Has anyone ever done this, and if you did, did you get the same dress made up for the TTD shoot as you wore on your wedding day, or did you take advantage of the opportunity to get a different one? :mrgreen:

Our photographer talked to us about this. He showed us pics of a shoot he did, and the bride didn't really want to 'trash' her dress. So for their shoot they went into the bush (like SCRUB LAND!) and did photos, and also took water photos but they were in fresh water rock pools. Not sure if either of these is an option for you but the photos did turn out really great (and he said her dress was fine after getting it dry cleaned afterwards).

Karza156
♥ Happily ever after ♥
♥ Happily ever after ♥

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:26 pm

My friend did something very similar to what almostthere suggested - they just went to a fresh water rockpool for their trash the dress shoot and it worked out really well. She wore her $3500 gown, got it dry cleaned afterwards and said that the dress was fine and there was no lasting damage.
I know what u mean about being hesitant though - Im still unsure what i will be doing as I would probably be worrying about ruining my dress all day (Im a bit of a stress head lol)

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:37 pm

I like the fresh water idea, but I think I would probably want to get dirtier than that, ifkwim. I would like to do lots of different things, not only in the water; one idea I had was posing on a horseback, and one was sitting on the dirty ground in a forest.

Beloved
Marriage is amazing
Marriage is amazing

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:22 am

I think the fake version of the dress is a good idea, or even a shorter cute white dress to trash? You've got heaps of time till your wedding (unlike me hehehe) so maybe buy a second hand dress on eBay and modify it? Something fun to do. I'm not sure if my advice is helpful at all :S

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

I did a TTD in my real dress, it was a water one in freshwater, up at Buderim rainforest park. I had it dry-cleaned immediately after, and it came up immaculate, no damage. There's some more pics in my hall of fame thread.
I toyed with the idea of having a replica made, but then decided against it because for me, it felt like the TTD wouldn't really have the same significance then, as it wouldn't have been my actual dress. And if that was the case, I didn't really see the point in romping around in the water in a dress that I had purpose-made just for that occasion, IYKWIM.

beldon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:20 pm

I read up on TTD because I love how arty they are but I know I could never bring myself to do it in my real dress. However, everything I read says that there are different degrees of trash, it's up to discussion with the photographer. It went from walking in the bush to burning the dress and cutting it up or tearing it. So there are lots of options to decide between real dress and fake, depending on what you want from the photos. And dry cleaning it should mean that there is no damage from freshwater

kirst_dan
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:50 pm

I've brought about 7 dresses off ebay & 2 from an Op shop purely to do this as a project.
1 has been "trashed" but it's just dirty around the train...nothing that can't be fixed & that was the most expensive dress at a grand total of $60, it's a stunning dress too
1 I will sell again, it's far too nice to trash & that was $25 & another was absolutely beautiful, but it's a size 24 & I don't know any girls that want to model for me at that size :( & that was $30....so it's completely do-able for you to keep your real dress pristine & buy one (you have heaps of time to scour the net) & trash that instead :D

StephMT
Can't wait to set a date
Can't wait to set a date

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:56 pm

I was going to say check out Jaynage's becuase hers are spectacular
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36