A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

amanda8000
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Dessert plus wedding cake - too much?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 am

Do you think having a canapes plus a 3 course meal and then serving cake is too much? Would it be better to bag the cake for guests to take home?

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Re: Dessert plus wedding cake - too much?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am

We are cutting our's and bagging them for guests to take home :D

Laura03
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:58 am

We are serving our cake on platters with the cake bags on the side so people can either eat it or bag it to take it home.

Karza156
♥ Happily ever after ♥
♥ Happily ever after ♥

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:00 pm

We are in a similar situation. As part of our reception package, we are having capapes then a 3 course meal. What we are doing for the cake is putting some at the tea and coffee station for guests to eat if they are still peckish, but the rest is being bagged for guests to take home.
Our original plan was to have the cake as the actual dessert, but our venue wouldnt let us change the packages that much unfortunately.

jaynage
I survived and got married

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

amanda8000 wrote:
Do you think having a canapes plus a 3 course meal and then serving cake is too much? Would it be better to bag the cake for guests to take home?

We did this exact same thing and it worked fine.

Because people had already had the dessert course, the cake slices that the wait-staff served out were a much smaller, finger-slice size, and most people ate them. We had a 3-tier cake so there was also plenty remaining, and the kitchen staff cut up a lot more slices and put them into cake bags for guests who wanted to take some more home with them.

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:09 pm

We are having canapes, then a buffet meal then buffet dessert. We are also having a 3 tier wedding cake. We are planning on keeping the top tier for us though. Originally we were werent going to have buffet dessert just wedding cake but it worked out better $ wise to have buffet dessert and just have the wedding cake cut up on the side. We will be leaving cake bags out for guests who wish to take some cake home. I would prefer to have too much than not enough and any left over cake I will split up between our families as they will have guests staying with them & I'm sure it will get eaten!

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:31 pm

I was initially thinking about this same thing too. I wouldn't want to stuff up my guests and I want them to really enjoy the cake (after all, it's quite expensive). Our dinner package allows us to either have our wedding cake as dessert or a choice of their dessert which is Lindt chocolate mud cake, milk chocolate sauce and homemade Lindt chocolate ice cream which we really would love to have. So in the end I might just end up bagging the wedding cake for guests to take home :D It really depends on your guests and how much they can eat really.

mini_k27
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:46 pm

We are having canapes and a buffet dinner & buffet dessert. Even when we told her that we weren't having an entree, our functions manager recommended even less canapes than what we were thinking because there is SO MUCH food in the buffet. We are having a cupcake tower, and am going to buy cupcake boxes for the guests to take them home.

LR
Formerly known as lizzyrose
Formerly known as lizzyrose

Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm not a big eater, so would definitely find that too much. But as long as there are bags/boxes so that I can take some cake home, I'd be happy!

kyliemartin79
Lady K
Lady K

Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:45 pm

No we had canapes/cocktails, a three course meal including dessert, then cheese and biscuits and then a large selections of chocolates and coffee and then the cake was cut and served. It is a lot of food but most of the guests loved it. However, the range of chocolates were so huge and served prior to the dessert that one of our guests came up to us and "commented that dessert was delicious" and I was like Oh no I missed the dessert :( He had gotten confused :lol:
But I did miss the cake, we didn;t get any - too busy dancing and talking.

71TSS
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:08 pm

We're having a semi- destination wedding, so taking things home isnt really a viable option for most of our guests. We're opting to ditch dessert and use the cake for that instead.

deedeedee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:11 pm

We are serving the cake as our dessert. :D

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Our venue is providing canapes and a three course meal. I'm planning on having cupcakes and getting boxes for them for the guests to take home afterwards. That's the plan at this stage anyway.

ellejay
♥ totally married ♥
♥ totally married ♥

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:52 pm

We had canapes, 3 courses, Dessert then coffee and chocolates followed by wedding cake too! Our cake was served to the tabes on platters- 2 per table, one bagged, one unbagged so guests could enjoy the cake and take a piece home too.

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:55 pm

We are having dessert and doing away with the cake - dessert is included in the price (whereas the cake adds abother few hundred dollars) and I never really got the symbolism behind the cake-thing anyway! :P My sister didn't have a cake and I don't think anyone even noticed!

belle11235
'maybe i'm amazed'
'maybe i'm amazed'

Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

Our venue includes a 3 course meal and canapes. I'm not a big eater and I really wanted to enjoy a slice of cake. I also wanted everyone to enjoy it before they have had too much to drink and won't know the difference, especially seeing as we are spending a fair bit on it.
Our ceremony is at 2pm and our reception is at 6pm so our solution is to cut our cake at the close of our ceremony so guests can eat cake for afternoon tea while we go off and do our photos.

~chocolat~

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Last edited by ~chocolat~ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:06 pm

belle11235 wrote:
Our venue includes a 3 course meal and canapes. I'm not a big eater and I really wanted to enjoy a slice of cake. I also wanted everyone to enjoy it before they have had too much to drink and won't know the difference, especially seeing as we are spending a fair bit on it.
Our ceremony is at 2pm and our reception is at 6pm so our solution is to cut our cake at the close of our ceremony so guests can eat cake for afternoon tea while we go off and do our photos.

cake cutting directly after the ceremony....what a FANTASTIC idea!

I may just steal that idea if we don't end up getting cupcakes. :mrgreen:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22