A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

leana
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
Topic Author

Bridesmaid Hair Help

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:13 pm

My sister is one of my bridesmaids (and a very difficult one at that!) I was talking with her on the weekend and I asked her a month (or more) ago if she can send me pictures of her inspiration for her hair & make up. (I'm letting the girls pick their own.)
She said she's doesn't care and it's up to me, which I have explained many times I'm not picking - it's her choice. (But that's beside the point.)

She said she was thinking of just having it down because she's worried about it falling out. (To which I explained that this is a hairdresser's job to make sure it doesn't) But she's got really thick hair which is half way down her back and it's always been difficult to manage. (I have a photo of it, which I'll add on here when I get home because I don't have the cord to do it now)

I said that there are probably a few down styles she could look at, but I have tried searching for inspiration pictures every but can't find anything appropriate. Does anyone have any they could share with me?
Also, is it that hard to make thick long hair stay in place for a hair style, or is my sister just being a little dramatic?

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Re: Bridesmaid Hair Help

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 pm

leana wrote:
Also, is it that hard to make thick long hair stay in place for a hair style, or is my sister just being a little dramatic?

She's being dramatic :wink:

My hair is very thick - I've never had a hairdresser not comment about how much hair I have. Before our wedding, my hair was also half-way down my back, and all one length. For my wedding hair style, I had it curled and put up into a chignon at the base of my neck. It stayed in place, with the help of countless bobby-pins and a lot of hair spray.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 pm

I have *thick*, curly, semi-unmanageable hair. Like Jaynage, I have never had a hairdresser not comment on it's thickness.
I have done everything with my hair though - upstyles, structured curls, side ponytails etc and have never had problems, it actually holds style very well, I just need more bobby pins than the average girl!

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Your sister is being dramatic.

Like jaynage and dan, I also have thick hair - it's curly and long (nearly to my hips a couple of months ago, since had it chopped to about my waist). I've had it styled up, half up etcetc and never had a problem. I find it incredibly easy to make it stay up - I often put it all up myself with only a few Bobby pins!

leana
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll tell her to stop being such a girl! :lol: I was unsure if there was merit in her concern, or if this was just a bit of BS!

Karza156
♥ Happily ever after ♥
♥ Happily ever after ♥

Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Ok i am going to agree again!! :D Like the others i have a lot of hair and always have comments from hairdressers on how thick it is, but I have never had a problem with getting it styled. You're right in saying that its the hairdressers job to make sure it doesnt fall out. They style hair for a living so they know what they are doing (thats also what hair trials are for!)

Also, it seems like u are being a really great, understanding bride in letting your BMs decide on their own hairstyles. It also sounds like ur sister needs to appreciate that more! Maybe have a chat to a hairdresser for some inspirations if your sister is a bit conerned? They might be able to sugest some nice ones :D

leana
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
Topic Author

Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Karza, I think I might do that! :D
The only problem is she lives interstate and can't afford to pay for her own hair trials, but the hairdresser I've been speaking with has been pretty understanding and helpful. My sister sent me pics of what her hair looks like atm so I can show the hairdresser when I have my trials, so I'll ask her then what hair styles she suggests.
(My sister reckons she saw a hair dresser the other day and the hairdresser suggested that she keeps her hair down and straight?! I can't say I've ever heard of a professional giving that advice before?!)

The BM's are getting away with everything pretty lightly (I'm paying for dresses, MUA and hair on the day, they can choose how they want both, they can choose their own shoes, I bought them jewellery as a present) which makes it a little frustrating that my sister's being such a pain and putting on her "poor me, poor me" attitude again! :roll: I have said to all of them that they are free to choose how they want to look because their going to have to put up with it all day and I want them to feel comfortable as well!

lizzyh

Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:10 am

I recently posted this article which is up to the minute with fashionable hairstyles for Spring and inspired me..

http://www.shoeshow.com.au/2010springhairtrends.html

Hope it helps.. and good luck!

Lizzy xx

Bride2BNeats

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 am

I am sorry to hear of the dramas I too am going through the same thing with all 5 of mine they don't know what they want and etc so I have back up plans I have picked what I think will suit them . But for down styles there are a few that you can do
kimraver-updo.jpg

Try http://www.hairspotlight.com/ there are hundreds of styles to look at :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.66