A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MrsFeb2011
Topic Author

Do I really need a make-up trial?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 pm

What do you think?

The girl who I am booking with charges $100 for a trial and I would prefer to save these extra dollars. I've got an idea in mind of how I want my make-up done but I'm not all that fussy so am happy to give her some direction on the day and have her go for it. I haven't had a personal referral.. I just found her online but her portfolio is amazing.

Is this too much of a gamble? Appreciate your thoughts!!

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Re: Do I really need a make-up trial?

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

I'd not use a mua without having a trial...way too much of a gamble IMO!

Your ideas and their interpretation often differ a lot, trying to get it right on the day is not something I'd recommend!

leana
♥ S & L - A & F ♥
♥ S & L - A & F ♥

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:36 pm

I think that as long as you know exactly what you want then you should be alright. I'm not going to get the chance to have a trial, but I have sent her a picture of exactly how I want my make up done.

Darens Girl

Re:

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:41 pm

Last edited by Darens Girl on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrsFeb2011
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 pm

I know that without make up I can look less than exciting.

hahah i'm definitely in this category too!!

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 pm

It's totally up to you, but there is no way I would not have one. I have actually changed make up people since my first trial and coildn't be happier with the new person, I am so glad I changed

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Initially I wasnt going to have a trial for my hair or make up ( I have used hairdresser before but not makeup artist) due to costs also but ended up changing my mind. I'm not a particulary fussy person and want a relatively casual look but didnt want to risk having something completley different on the day when I looked in the mirror. :roll: So thought I'd bite the bullet and just get a trial for both, at least I know it will be right.
But if you cant fit it into your budget, just ensure you have a few photos to show hair & make prior and I'm sure it will be okay! :D

Mrs_muddie2b

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 pm

I am in 2 mind frames about this... If my mua charged $100 for a trial, i would expect she absolutely nail it on the day cos that's bloody expensive! On the other hand, $100 for piece of mind on the day that your make up is exactly what you want my be worth its weight in gold... It really is up to you! :D

jaynage
I survived and got married

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:13 pm

russa1 wrote:
It's totally up to you, but there is no way I would not have one. I have actually changed make up people since my first trial and coildn't be happier with the new person, I am so glad I changed

I did the exact same thing. Wasn't happy with my first trial, and I chose a new MUA, so I'm glad I did trials. It is up to you though, at the end of the day.

emfive
In ♥ with Miss Lily
In ♥ with Miss Lily

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I didn't have one, but only because my make up artist was a friend and I knew her style and trusted her completely.

almostthere
finallydone
finallydone

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

I've had to have 2 cause I decided I wasn't happy with the first one. Best money i've spent in terms of beauty cause if I had to have my first trial's makeup recorded forever in our very expensive photographs I would have been quite upset.
I would do it, unless you KNOW she is good and you have an idea of what you want then perhaps it's not such a big deal to leave it.

ellejay
♥ totally married ♥
♥ totally married ♥

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm

It is completely up to you at the end of the day. Having a trial gives you peace of mind that you have booked the right makeup artist and also that the look you have requested suits you. It also gives the M.Up artist an opportunity to perfectly match colours to your skin and advise you on any skin care regime that might be necessary.

If you have had the makeup artist recommended by someone who's makeup you have seen or feel really confident in her abilities then you could take a chance.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Yes.

chelle7

Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 am

jaynage wrote:
russa1 wrote:

I did the exact same thing. Wasn't happy with my first trial, and I chose a new MUA, so I'm glad I did trials. It is up to you though, at the end of the day.

I did the same thing too. And I'm sooo glad I had trials for both. After the first trial with the first MUA, I was less than impressed. My second MUA was soo much better, and the trial with her proved it!

It's worth paying for a trial for piece of mind.

carnation189

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:28 am

One of my friend who's MUA offered to do make up for my pre-wedding photoshoot but after doing trial with her, I was totally dispointed and now going for another trial.

NonVogue

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm

I personally would have a trial as it is important to me. Rather than spend $100 on flowers/stationery etc...which nobody remembers, id spend the $100 to ensure I look the way I want in my photos which is forever.

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Even though I feel the pinch about paying $100 for make up trial and another $100 for the hairstyling trial, I think I would still choose to go for a trial just for the peace of mind.

Miss_Lee

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:29 pm

I personally wouldn't skip the trial. There can be a lot of difference between the ideas in my head and how things actually turn out :D

Kt_Kat

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Unless you know the artist or have used her services before, I'd definitely have the trial. Makeup is such a personal thing - I don't wear much at all normally, and wasn't too fussed with what I wanted, just something fairly natural. However, my idea of that is potentially very different from someone else's! Cin was fabulous so I didn't need to do anything else, but I did have two hair trials because I wasn't happy with what I'd chosen the first time, and we re-did it later and I was much happier.

gettingmarried.eep
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:22 pm

Definitely get a trial! I've had my make up done a few times for other occasions and not been happy with the outcome. I was unhappy enough at a party, just wouldn't want to chance it for wedding
GZIP: On | Load: 0.21