A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

bubs84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

honeymoon in Koh Samui

Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 am

Has anyone been to Koh Samui? If so, what is there to do besides the usual beaches, watersports, etc?

Anything that is a "must see"? Or tourist attractions that aren't worth bothering with?

thanks!

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Re: honeymoon in Koh Samui

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am

Hey Bubs. FH and I took a pre-wedding honeymoon to Karon Beach in Phuket a few weeks ago. It was brilliant and I can't recommend it highly enough. We originally wanted to go to Koh Samui but decided we would take the more adventurous Phuket instead. I've heard Koh Samui is beautiful and very very relaxing though.

The things we did in Phuket:
Visited the Big Buddha - I believe there is a beach in Koh Samui called Big Buddha Beach where you may be able to see the Buddha in question
Phuket Fantasea - Fantastic stage show. highly recommend it. Even FH liked it and he HATES stage shows. Only goes for half hour or so.
Old Phuket Town
Patong & Bangla Road - beware the street sellers at night and the children. Aussie Bar is brilliant and the Margarita Bar.
James Bond Island Sea Cave Canoe - Very highly recommend this. I'm positive you will be able to do this from Koh Samui as well and it is well worth it. I'm claustrophobic, hate boats and water and still REALLY loved it. Also do Phi Phi islands. We didn't get too as the stingers were on mass while we were there.
Get a massage - They are awesome and soooooo cheap. Same with the manicures and pedicures.
Elephant Trekking - Brilliant fun but I recommend a half day trip or 60 minute trip as your bum gets sore.
We also hired scooters for three of the days we were there but beware......it is scary and I recommend ONLY do this if you have some form of history riding scooters or motorbikes. The last day we hired, we had the manager of the pool from the hotel we were at take us around. We had a ball with him and he saved us heaps of money with his brilliant local knowledge.
We also did the three island lookout, Siam King Cobra Show (AMAZING!), the Monkey school show. Also make sure you visit the pearl and jewellery megastores over there. I got two pearl bracelets and two sets of earrings for $18!!!!!!

Not sure how much of that you will be able to do from Koh Samui but I'm sure you can do the highlights. We made a pact to go back every year as the people are just amazing - brilliant service, very helpful and sooooo cheap. And it will definitely pay off to try and learn and speak their language as often as possible, even if you do butcher it like we did. lol.

Have a ball!!!! And make the most of it!!!!! :mrgreen:

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:46 am

Oh yeah....if you like seafood, go to the Phong Phang restaurant near the Phuket Zoo (avoid the Zoo....it's a waste of money). It looks like a construction site but it's right on the water and you get to pick LIVE FRESH seafood from tanks. FH and I got a blue claw crab each, a prawn each which were quarter kilo EACH, a 1.5 kg Lobster and a local Bug (kinda like a moreton bay bug) and it cost us $75!!! BRILLIANT feed.

b2k
Formerly known as bergette
Formerly known as bergette

Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Ummm that is pretty much it.

We went there for a week at the end of our honeymoon (after being to a list of other places).

We did do an elephant track (only after i made sure they were rescued elephants not show elephants), rode motorbikes and ate at a lot of restaurants. Seafood is great, stay away from non seafood though, very average.

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:41 pm

I'll watch this thread because we are thinking of Koh Samui too. We've been to Phuket a couple of times - it is great but I have heard Koh Samui is geared more towards couples and romance and relaxation than the more party crowds of Phuket - except the full moon parties which I've heard get a bit scary!!

We plan on getting our PADI scuba diving tickets while we are in Koh Samui....

Kyz
Sime's squeeze
Sime's squeeze

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey Bubs84!

I've been to both Koh Samui and Phuket for my honeymoon! (My 1st marriage).

It's a tricky one 'cos a lot of people will give u differing opinions based on what they percieve to be a great holiday.

To be perfectly honest, you're right, there isn't too much to do in Koh Sumui. In terms of shopping, Koh Samui offer exactly the same merchandise as Phuket and at the same prices, but it's just that they don't offer as much of it as obviously Koh Samui is a smaller island.

However, If you're after romance, Koh Samui is for you. I found it to be a lot more personalised. You're not treated like a number in comparison to Phuket and the hussle and bussle is just not there. There are beautiful restaurants on the sand (I recommend a restaurant called 'Eat Sense' and I heard Poppies was great although we didn't go), adorned with fairy lights in the palm trees and soft music playing in the background. My ex husband and I kept ourselves busy by hiring a motorbike and sightseeing around the island. There was also a quiet little bar that was next to our Resort that we loved to go to. We also spent a bit of our time at our resort and our resort alone was enough of a reason to not want to go out! We stayed at The Nora Beach Resort and I honestly can't recommend it highly enough. It was a little further to the shops than a lot of the other resorts, but because we had hired a scooter it didn't bother us in the slightest. The service was sensational, the resort restaurant was to die for and our room overlooked both the Pool and The Ocean. We stayed in an Ocean View Room. We stayed in Koh Samui for 7 nights and that was beautiful. Just enough I would say.

Phuket on the other hand is very fast. There are a lot more tourists and it is always happening. There are heaps of tours that run from Phuket and if you're the sort of person who always likes to be on the go, Phuket's for you. There are a lot of restaurants (the seafood restaurants amazing), but I found the restaurants in Koh Samui to be a little more relaxed and romantic.

Totally your call matey. It really depends on what you want out of your holiday. My FH and I will be going to Koh Samui on our honeymoon. He has been to Phuket in the past and he didn't like it. He'd like to see Koh Samui, and of course I didn't say no 'cos I prefered Koh Samui anyway. :D

Each to their own though. If you've got any more questions, I'm more than happy to help!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.23