A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Bar Tab Issues?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 am

Hi All

I need your opinions regarding our bar tab. We are getting married in some 39 days ( but whose counting) and I am just a little concerned with the bar tab. We've put $1500 on the bar for house wines & standard beers and softdrink. We will have approx 80 adults (not all of which are big drinkers) and bar prices are standard pub prices. We're not using the beverage package the venue offers as it works out to $2600 and I can't justify that much money on drinks (its another few days away on our honeymoon).
So I need to know what did you do, how much did you end up spending? We've asked them to notify us when the tab reaches $1200 and if the reception is drawing to a close we'd throw another few hundred on it.
Just love to hear what other people have done!

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Re: Bar Tab Issues?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:27 am

i'm doing about 2k for 40 people. That includes wine beer and champagne but it is the pricey stuff and we have a lot of wine snobs coming lol

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 am

At our engagement party we put $1300 on the bar for about 60 people. That went so quickly we kept on extending it and ended up putting $3000 on it!
Everyone drank quite a lot though.
Im not sure but $1500 for 80 people might not be quite enough. :?:

Mrs L
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 am

SpecialKK wrote:
Im not sure but $1500 for 80 people might not be quite enough. :?:

Agreed. We had 100 guests (with about 20 of those underage) and spent $3k. That's at club prices, but they could drink whatever they wanted, including spirits, shots etc.

NN
I survived and got married

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:38 am

I think you should be looking at at least $2,000. However, weddings are not for people to go and get pissed and in my opinion you should provide what you can, so if you can provide $1,500 so be it and they can pay afterwards if they would like to keep drinking.

We are having $1,500 for 50 people and it will work out at about 2 drinks in the first hour and one each hour after that, it's not exact science but we are looking at $30.00 per person and of course some people who want spirits will pay for it themselves and that will leave more room in the tab for others.

If you did the average $30.00 per person you would be looking at $2,400 which is close to the drinks package so perhaps that does tell you that $1,500 might not be enough, but as I said you could always stick with that and they can pay after that.

Palm Cove Bride
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:51 am

For all weddings etc I would recommend going a beverage package as beverages on consumption is massive!! Once people know they can drink as much as they want they go crazy.
Good guide is get the price per person for the beverage package and find out how much a beer is at their bar and divide the price for one beer into the beverage package per person to work out how many beers you get. Then ask the question will the main drinkers drink that many beers. i.e $5 per beer divide by $50 per person beverage package for 4 hours (or however many hours its for) = 10 beers they need to drink in 4 hours to get your money's worth.
(But this would need to be the quantity that every guest drinks and a lot wont drink any alcohol while some only have a few drinks. There would be a small number that would probably drink more but not enough to cover the other guests).

I hope that makes sense. If you go with the bar tab just make sure you stick to whatever your budgeted limit is.

mini_k27
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥
♥ Soon to be Mrs D ♥

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Wow I'm really surprised by these answers. When we first enquired with our venue, we were advised $1200 for 100 people (wine, beer & softdrinks). Maybe drinks here are alot cheaper...???

We are probably going to go with $1500 (probably end up being about 70 - 80 people including about 10 kids) and then maybe chuck on an extra $500 depending on how the night goes.

sidonie
Little Miss Pearl
Little Miss Pearl

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:34 pm

One thing I really wish I could do is order our own wines and champagne. I'd be happy to pay corkage even to be able to select what we like..but so many venues won't do it.

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:35 pm

Ours is included in the package but it's the equivalent of $2500 for 60 people over 5 hours.

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:38 pm

i only had a tab for my immediate family, the bridal party, 2 friends that played music for us and the MC. I put $400 on the tab and that was for 15 people- we only just went over that- and that was becasue my brother and the Mc are fairly big drinkers.

im not a big drinker and didnt see why i had to pay for everyone else to drink, when i would only have 1-3 drinks... so i only provided the tab to the important people and as a thankyou for their help and being part of the day/night.

if you think about it, $1500 for 80 people is about $18each- which would probably be about 3 drinks... guests can always pay for their own after the limit is reached.

Tarsha

Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:53 pm

We are putting on $1500 for 50 ppl, but limiting it to beer, wine, coffee/tea & softdrink only. Guests will have the option to purchase other drinks such as spirits from the bar. the venue told us that this is really common - I think as long as the guests have the option to purchase alternative drinks you should be fine! :) :) :)

Neptune
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 pm

We are also putting $1500 on the bar for 70 people - beer, wine, soft drink. Guests will have the option to purchase spirits at their cost. This was all our budget would allow, and none of our family are big drinkers so I think this should cover us for all if not the majority of the night. Our venue will inform us when we get to $1200, so depending on how we feel on the night we might put extra cash on the bar or switch to half price drinks till the tab runs out.

Being so close to the wedding you don't want to stress yourself unnecessarily trying to cover extra costs. Provide what you can afford- I don't think guests would have a problem with paying for drinks later in the evening if the tab runs out. In some circumstances this amount might well be sufficient - ie. if there are not many big drinkers, people travelling so lots of designated drivers etc.

LHB85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:12 pm

We had 80 guests at our wedding. We had a limit of $1500 on the bar tab. We paid half before the wedding and then Mum went to pay the rest the Monday after the wedding. All she had to pay was $80 because all up our bar tab only came to $830!!!! We had a mixture of big drinkers and not so big drinkers. We supplied beer on tap, wine (which people were getting in bottles) and softdrink-all the prices were about pub prices about $3 for a pot of gold. Hope this helps :D

jess85
mum2b
mum2b

Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 pm

FMIL gave us $700 to put on the bar tab. we have invited 75 adults (havent got all rsvps back so unsure how many are coming) but by the sounds of it, we may need to add some to the tab

Miss2Mrs
Happily Ever After
Happily Ever After

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Last edited by Miss2Mrs on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LesLeigh

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm

we had about 70 at our engagement party, with no limits on what people could order (ie beer wine spirits cocktails etc) We told them that we were happy to go to $1000 and to let us know when it got close. After much confusion and uping it to $1200 FH went to pay and discovered that they had added the prepaid platters and deposits to the tab, so it was actually only $600!!! Amazing as the print out of the bill was HUGE (see my S&T for a pic of me holding it!)
I guess it all depends on the amount that the people you are inviting usually drink, and how much the venue charges for drinks (we were lucky as it seems that drinks were quite cheap, much cheaper than expected). In the end it is up to you and what you can afford. Even if you got a package it would only last a few hours and people would need to pay for drinks after that time anyway.

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Miss2Mrs wrote:
I think its fine. Put $1500 onthe tab, when it runs out it runs out.

As a guest i would like a heads up that there is 'only' a tab so i knew to bring money. I would not care, but i often havent got any cash on me. Just a thought.

Ive been to a few weddings with tabs that ran out & it was fine.

Do what suits you!

I agree. Only put what you can afford, but tell your guests there will be a limited tab on the bar so they can be prepared and bring cash with them. I never carry cash, and if I were going to a function where I would/might be required to purchase drinks I'd definately want/need to know in advance.

Beloved
Marriage is amazing
Marriage is amazing

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:30 am

We had decided on $800 for 80 guests, and it ended up being $560! I guess having a day wedding made the difference, and my inlaws are all big drinkers- so we had the bar tab start when we arrived at our reception. The inlaws got impatient and bought their own alcohol :twisted:

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for everyone's advice ladies! I think we will just stick to the $1500 and see how we go. If we are getting on in the evening and it is running low we will be happy to throw another few hundred ($200-$300) on but no more than that. Everyone knows its pruchase your own spirits and we'll just everyone aware that if it runs out its purchase your own.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35