A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

 
Trisha
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:51 pm

We were originally planning a beach wedding, and had picked a song that we found upbeat, yet also had a lot of meaning in the words to us, this was for my to walk down the "aisle" as such.

Now that we have changed and are having a church wedding do we need to change the music choice? It just doesn't seem to be the right kind of song for church...perhaps I am over thinking it. I'm not sure if we have to run our music choices past the Priest that is doing our ceremony or not as yet.

Anyways, the song we had planned on using was All about loving you - Bon Jovi. I am a mad Bon Jovi fan and I love this song so really would like to use it....but not is it's going to sound stupid in the church.


TIA

ETA, prob should have put this in Q & A :oops:
 
User avatar
SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?
Posts: 5449
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 6:44 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:12 pm

I think you should have whichever song you want. You will have to check with the church though, as most don't allow certain types of music. Good luck :)
 
CC2011
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:29 pm

I agree with choosing what you feel is right for you. That being said, our church doesnt allow pre-recorded music so if yours is anything like this it could be tricky.

Good Luck!
 
Trisha
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:47 pm

CC2011 wrote:
I agree with choosing what you feel is right for you. That being said, our church doesnt allow pre-recorded music so if yours is anything like this it could be tricky.

Good Luck!


SmallNads wrote:
I think you should have whichever song you want. You will have to check with the church though, as most don't allow certain types of music. Good luck :)


Thanks girls. I will have to have a good read through the papers again I think. And then perhaps contact the church. Why don't they just do email!

I have been looking at something more traditional etc, and really can't find anything I love :(
 
Trisha
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Ok read through the papers and it says

"The use of taped music, keyboards and other recorded music is permitted from the choir gallery ONLY. You will need to bring your own CD player."

They also have an organ there that can be played.

Doesn't say though that I have to ask their permission in regards to the music :) But they do seem so strict on so many aspects, last thing I want to do is P the Priest off!!
 
KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
Posts: 3744
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 pm

It will very much depend on the church - ask and find out!
 
User avatar
sylvatin
Together we're unlimited
Together we're unlimited
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:41 pm

minimusic wrote:
In different social situations people seem to be very "self conscious" when it comes to making a music selection as for a formal ceremony. "What will everyone think of THAT song in THIS context". Will the guests be offended....will the venue managemement consider it inappropriate? The best advice I can give you is to FORGET ABOUT EVERYONE ELSE! This is your night! Play what you feel and FEEL what you play! I guarantee you'll remember the emotion. How do I know? I've been in the DJ Hire industry for more than 30 years and in that time i've been to thousands of weddings, seen countless brides pouring over what to play. Keep it simple....play what you feel and don't worry about what others think. If you like the gist of what I'm saying then you might just like our DJs and you can find us here: http://www.minimusic.com.au


minimusic, she's actually talking about a song to play while walking down the aisle in a Church, it's not about just choosing something she'll feel emotion about. She has to worry about something appropriate for the venue and formality.

To the OP, I think you should run it by your Priest, because you don't want him to find out in the final stages (eg, when you're printing your OoS) and then have to change the song when it's the last thing you want to think about. We were going to marry in a gorgeous Church in Annandale, and were told we could only play classical music. It was in the early stages of our planning, so we went for a different Church with a more lenient Minister because I really wanted to walk down to The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand.
 
Trisha
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:19 pm

sylvatin wrote:
minimusic, she's actually talking about a song to play while walking down the aisle in a Church, it's not about just choosing something she'll feel emotion about. She has to worry about something appropriate for the venue and formality.

To the OP, I think you should run it by your Priest, because you don't want him to find out in the final stages (eg, when you're printing your OoS) and then have to change the song when it's the last thing you want to think about. We were going to marry in a gorgeous Church in Annandale, and were told we could only play classical music. It was in the early stages of our planning, so we went for a different Church with a more lenient Minister because I really wanted to walk down to The Beatles - I Want to Hold Your Hand.


That is correct. I am concerned with the reaction from the church, not my guests. When it comes time for our reception we will play whatever we feel like hearing. We have to show the Priest our OOS prior to printing them all up for their agreement to them!

Maybe I can find the acoustic version and play that. Atleast it's a little less rock.
 
User avatar
nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
Posts: 2738
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:50 pm

I know it may ruin a wonderful Bon Jovi song, but could you find an instrumental version of it? You'll know what it is, and the Priest will be happy as the lyrics are gone.
 
Trisha
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm

nwyfre wrote:
I know it may ruin a wonderful Bon Jovi song, but could you find an instrumental version of it? You'll know what it is, and the Priest will be happy as the lyrics are gone.


Not a bad idea! The acoustic version is a little more subdued as well. Hmm maybe I will just have to save the song as our first dance instead and have a back up if the priest doesn't agree with it.
 
leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Re: Do I have to change music choice?

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 am

did you ever see that youtube video of the couple dancing down the aisle to chris browns forever- that was a church wedding... as long as it suits you, your FH and your ceremony, i say go for it.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.59