A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

~Maz~
Topic Author

Your venue

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 pm

Ladies- I'm curious as to what the make or break factors were for you when you went venue hunting?

Special location, price, the view, the service? Tell me why you chose your venue, or why you didn't choose certain places :)

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Re: Your venue

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Aesthetics and price for me. :) What was included in the package price, such as unlimited room hire and free DJ, really made a difference!

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:21 pm

I chose my venue for the great food (it's my favourite restaurant), fantastic views and because they have gorgeous gardens and decking that we can use for our ceremony too. Their prices were very reasonable too.

JessBa90

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:00 am

:e_hand:
Last edited by JessBa90 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:26 am

Prices, the look of the place, good reviews from friends who had been there before, and just the fact that when we went there the staff were all so lovely to us.

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:34 am

The first factor to me was service, second was presentation (of the venue and staff), third was inclusions, fourth was location & finally cost.

We ended up choosing our venue (Glengariff) pegged against my top choice as it ticked all 5 of the boxes. My top choice (Maleny Manor) only had 4. It was let down on the location although the location was actually perfect. It was the logistics of getting to the location that was difficult and let it down. They were also more expensive which wasn't an issue, but when we took into account the logistics as well, we decided on Glengariff.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 am

Price, appearance and packages were important to us. It had to have the look we wanted because we didn't want the traditional all white wedding, it had to have plenty of parking, a pub nearby (for guests between wedding and reception) and a fun feel to it. Also had to have a price in our range with packages that had what we wanted like beverage, 5 or 6 hours.

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 am

for our ceremony we wanted something a little different (i.e. not the botanic gardens which is where SO many brides get married at here), had to look nice and preferably have a few different places for photos. the ability to have food there- whether they cater, or we can bring our own. and must be allowed to have dogs :) didnt have to be in town, we were willing to travel a bit out of town

for reception it had to look nice, have nice normal food (we're not fancy eaters at all and neither were our guests), reasonable price and in town. also needed to have nice people working there.

Daughter
To infinity and beyond...
To infinity and beyond...

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:01 am

We wanted something that was 'all-in-one' including accommodation on site, and we specifically wanted a winery. So we then looked at any applicable venues and decided based on the atmosphere, staff, and whether beverage packages were available. Cost was a factor but we ended up going with a venue well above our original budget because we didn't like any of the others!

hannah86

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:28 am

I had 3 important factors in choosing our venue.

#1 far from main/busy roads (we have little kids)
#2 grassed areas for kids to play
#3 easy access for elderly

We found our perfect venue at a great price too luckily! It's a golf course :)

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:32 am

We chose ours primarily for the food/wine and location. we don't really get a lot included (like DJ's, chair covers, cakes...i'm not sure it's that type of place!) but we weren't bothered by that at all - we'd rather source our own.

price was kind of an issue, but the more expensive places in the area weren't so great on the food and wine side of things and often didn't seem as professional so in the end we didn't really take price into consideration. a lot also had silly rules about the times you could have a ceremony, which didn't fit in with what we wanted.

~chocolat~
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:55 pm

Last edited by ~chocolat~ on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

beldon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:09 pm

We had 3 things in no particular order - price, location and looks

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I see a lot of people say the food was their highest priority. To be honest, we haven't tasted the food at our venue, and they won't give us a menu to choose from until 3 months before the wedding. :? I'm a bit worried now. The package we're going for is $110 per head, but all added up (with a minimum of 40 people), this includes unlimited room hire, centrepieces and a free DJ. Comparing this to a wedding I recently went to where the food was worth $145 per head (food only), I'm not sure what kind of quality to expect. Granted, the $145 meal was AMAZING!! :heart: Does anyone know what we should expect from our $110 meals? Our venue is Quay West Hotel, Brisbane, in case someone is familiar with their food.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Location and 'all in one' use (ceremony, reception & accomodation) were key factors for us. I would have loved to have gone further afield, but we knew from the beginning that we would be asking guests to come from interstate and overseas and we just couldn't ask them to travel further again.

I also knew from before I was engaged that I wanted a horse drawn carriage, so we actually chose a venue witht he right 'look' with this in mind too.

Finally, our last factor was the size. We found a perfect venue that met our other requirements early on, but they could only seat 80 people, or 90 without a dance floor, which simply wasn't an option for us - we wanted a dance floor and we knew we'd have more than 80 guests!

Mrs L
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 pm

We chose our venue because that's exactly where we wanted to get married - no matter the cost! And besides, the view is AMAZING!!!!

kaitos811
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 am

Similar to the others (but not in any order):

1. Good access for grandparents, places for older guests to get away from the noise of the music
2. Ceremony and reception at same venue (ceremony in garden)
3. Price
4. Wet weather option for ceremony
5. Somewhere we both felt comfortable
6. Not too far from home (our is 15mins drive and on the same side of the city as older guests)
7. Quiet and relaxing, not the busy and stressful city

~Maz~
Topic Author

Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:48 am

Loving these answers :) I'm living in Brisbane at the moment and planning a Perth wedding as that's where we are from. I've booked in to see a few places when I'm back in a month and just wanted to make sure I'm considering everything!

rachmay
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 am

Our reception venue was based on the great price and the breathtaking views.
Our ceremony location was chosen because of the gorgeous backdrop and unique layout.

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Daughter wrote:
We wanted something that was 'all-in-one' including accommodation on site, and we specifically wanted a winery. So we then looked at any applicable venues and decided based on the atmosphere, staff, and whether beverage packages were available. Cost was a factor but we ended up going with a venue well above our original budget because we didn't like any of the others!

This is exactly what we did as well. :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.37