A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

gettingmarried12
Topic Author

Newbie here - church question PLEASE help!!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi girls,
Just joined, the forum looks like such a great place to plan the big day!! Must admit, I have been stalking for some time now, but recently got engaged so thought I'd join up and say HI!!! Getting married in June 2012 so a little while away but time flies!!

Anyway, just a question re catholic ceremonies. I really want to get married in a catholic church, however I am unsure whether I have to include all the religious trimmings etc!! More specifically with regards to readings; do all readings in a catholic ceremony have to be from the bible or can they be general readings??? Any ideas??

gettingmarried12
Topic Author

Re: Newbie here - church question PLEASE help!!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Anyone??

bernie

Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:18 pm

im not sure about catholic but with my anglican church its all about the religion and readings from the bible with catholic it mught be the same coz they re usually stricter

pinklily

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 pm

We are getting married in a Catholic church, and yes you would have to include readings from the Bible, though many have been adapted and written into more modern-day terms. We will be having other readings (poems) at our reception instead. You have 2 options if you get married in the Catholic church - a mass (with communion/host) or a nuptial ceremony (no communion, but still the Prayers of the Faithful and other readings).

bryaneunice
♥ Lady Eunice ♥
♥ Lady Eunice ♥

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 pm

We're getting married in a catholic church as well. From what I heard from my parish priest, getting married in the church comes with the full package of the nuptial mass and all its readings and hymns (though it can be with or without holy communion). That said, it probably depends on your priest as well because I've grown up in a parish where the priest is really strict and traditional :)

By the way, come join us in the 2012 thread! :D

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:23 pm

We had a catholic ceremony - not a full mass just a short one. He had to have 3 readings in ur ceremony, the priest gave us a book and some old OOS and told us to pick at least 2 from there and the third could be from where ever we wanted (as long as it was the Dr Seuss poem that people seem to like :lol: ) We ended up getting one that sounded bibley and one that didn't, the last was a poem i got from this site.
Speak to your priest, every priest will want something different, ours was quite relaxed.

Abbey_Lou
♥ Mrs Trethowan ♥
♥  Mrs Trethowan ♥

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 am

We are getting married at St ingatius in Richmond, also a catholic church and we are allowed to have any music, readings or vows we want!! I did call to confirm wonering if I had misheard him, but no, he assures me we can have whatever makes us happy!! He is very easy going, we are lucky!! I think it's a matter of the priest/church and how strongly they feel towards having something "non-religious"...
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24