A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

missmalt
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

going shopping for wedding dresses- any advice?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:19 am

Am going to try on dresses for the first time. What adivce have you got?

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Re: going shopping for wedding dresses- any advice?

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:59 am

Wear full undies, not a g string :lol: Don't be afraid to try things on even if you don't think they are what you're looking for. You'll be surprised what works and what doesn't. Don't let the salespeople push you into anything. And have fun! :D

Neptune
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Last edited by Neptune on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 pm

Mmm, alot of places will make you take off makeup before trying on dresses, so its MUCH easier (and cleaner in regards to white dresses) to just not wear it.

And I second not letting salespeople push you into things, one dress can be stocked in so many stores, if you have a sales assistant who is being too pushy, then note down the name of the dress and designer and find another stockist, dont give them your buisness. (A big thing for me at the moment, I had one two weeks ago actually raise her voice at me about my choice not to wear a veil, and tell me I would look awful without one and the dresses I was trying on wont be complete)

missmalt
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

cabaret wrote:
Mmm, alot of places will make you take off makeup before trying on dresses, so its MUCH easier (and cleaner in regards to white dresses) to just not wear it.

And I second not letting salespeople push you into things, one dress can be stocked in so many stores, if you have a sales assistant who is being too pushy, then note down the name of the dress and designer and find another stockist, dont give them your buisness. (A big thing for me at the moment, I had one two weeks ago actually raise her voice at me about my choice not to wear a veil, and tell me I would look awful without one and the dresses I was trying on wont be complete)

Sound terrible. I have been to two weddings where the girls didnt wear veils and they would have taken away from the whole look. Don't listen to them.

Thanks for the advice girls, not a g-string wearer anyway.

We only went to two stores, the first was great but the second not so much. The lady didn't even help me do up the dress my BM and I had to do it. So wont be going back there.

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:49 pm

I agree with all the above advice!! Definitely try on lots of different styles of dress. I was reluctant to try on the first dress they showed me but it ended up being the one I chose!! Have lots of fun and don't take to many people with you :D

yanina

Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I think you should learn more about you body,and choose your wedding dresses according your body shape,that's will fine,good luck.

funkytwigs
♥ love forever always ♥
♥ love forever always ♥

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:57 pm

one bit of advice my friend gave me that i always pass on . Walk around in the dress, jump up and down and sit down in it. So many times you try on dresses
and then stand on the little box nice and straight looking gorgoues. Then teh first time you ever sit down in it is at your wedding and you find it very uncomfortable
ofrthe top moves and you have a bulgy belly or pushed up boobies a la pam anderson :D You spend your wedding day running around and having fun, make sure you
find adress you can have fun in (plus look gorgoues too)

Daughter
To infinity and beyond...
To infinity and beyond...

Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 pm

I was wondering about this too, I'm going in a few weeks for the very first time, can't wait :heart:

missmalt
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 am

funkytwigs wrote:
one bit of advice my friend gave me that i always pass on . Walk around in the dress, jump up and down and sit down in it. So many times you try on dresses
and then stand on the little box nice and straight looking gorgoues. Then teh first time you ever sit down in it is at your wedding and you find it very uncomfortable
ofrthe top moves and you have a bulgy belly or pushed up boobies a la pam anderson :D You spend your wedding day running around and having fun, make sure you
find adress you can have fun in (plus look gorgoues too)

What fantastic advice! I would hate to buy a dress I couldnt sit down in. I want to eat at my wedding and sit down when my feet hurt :D

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:25 pm

haha i bought my dress last weekend - first one I tried on! I didnt sit, I didnt twirl I didnt even look at the back!! 8O I still love it though - might go home and put it on tonight and see what I can and cant do in it :lol: :roll:
GZIP: On | Load: 0.47