A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

laurenbree
Topic Author

Where do you hang your dress?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:20 am

I picked up my dress yesterday and my wedding is in 6 weeks. At the bridal shop I was told to hang my dress up high, out of the dress bag. Am just wondering what everyone else has done with theirs as I don't want my partner to see my dress, have no hooks up high, live in a rental so cant add hooks anywhere, dont want to hang it at the window incase of fading, and hanging it at someone elses house isnt an option at the moment! aarggh :)

jasmine&paul
I survived and got married

Re: Where do you hang your dress?

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:28 am

Mine is at my mums house in the spare room. It is hanging on a hanger on the outside of the wardrobe with one of those over the door hangers as my dress is big and I didn't want in getting squashed. It is out of the bridal bag and Mum has bought two big white sheets to cover it right around and pinned them to fit. She checks on it regularly to make sure it's all ok. But fh & I have slept in the room & he can't see it - it just looks like a big sack :wink: Hope that makes sense.

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 am

Mine will go in my Nanna's house. Im lucky that my Nanna has a 3 bedroom house with only her in it, and she has one bedroom that is empty. Not a single piece of furniture. Just a few boxes of photo albums and things she never unpacked, so she is letting me use that as my "wedding room"

Are you allowed to use 3m hooks? Were renting aswell and were allowed to have as many of them as we like.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:21 pm

Mine was in my MOH's nursery :lol:

Bonni_Binx
Mrs Ranga
Mrs Ranga

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:41 pm

jasmine&paul wrote:
Mine is at my mums house in the spare room. It is hanging on a hanger on the outside of the wardrobe with one of those over the door hangers as my dress is big and I didn't want in getting squashed. It is out of the bridal bag and Mum has bought two big white sheets to cover it right around and pinned them to fit. She checks on it regularly to make sure it's all ok. But fh & I have slept in the room & he can't see it - it just looks like a big sack :wink: Hope that makes sense.

Should I take mine out of its plastic garment bag?
Mine is still in its bag hanging at my mums house...

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Can you hang it in a spare room and tell your FH just not to go in there?

Thats what I am doing. Hanging it on the curtain rod (in front of the curtains to avoid fading) and just closing the door.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 pm

what do you guys recommend as far as preventing the dress from getting damp? I'm in Brisbane, and as I'm sure you've all seen on the news, it just will not stop raining here. My dress gets paid off at the end of this month and if the weather is still like it is now, I'm concerned about it getting damp (it will be stored in the spare room at my parents house, but there is no air conditioner or anything in there).

Any tips would be appreciated :)

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:54 am

The only thing I can suggest about dampness is to get some of those 'absorbing container thingys' (very technical I know) - the ones that have the beads in the bottom that absorb any moisture. We have them in our house ATM & they're going great guns with all this rain.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:00 am

Mine was hanging at my Mums house in a spare room. It now hangs in our house in a spare room, I often have sneak at it :D

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

My dress WAS at my mum's house, but now it's hanging here in the cupboard in the spare room. It's in a cloth garment bag. FH still thinks it's at my mums, so I know he won't go snooping :lol: He NEVER goes in the cupboard of the spare room anyway so I think it should be safe there.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 am

Ali_jane wrote:
The only thing I can suggest about dampness is to get some of those 'absorbing container thingys' (very technical I know) - the ones that have the beads in the bottom that absorb any moisture. We have them in our house ATM & they're going great guns with all this rain.

A thirsty hippo :mrgreen:

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:14 am

Mine was at my mums house hanging off the curtain rod and draped over a chair so it touch the ground and stayed crease free. Everytime we came over she had to make sure her bedroom door was shut so that dh didn't see and other people - i wanted my dress kept secret. I would be to worried about having it hanging up in a spare room because i think temptation would eventually get to my dh lol.

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 am

I bought my dress on the weekend. At the moment my BM hs it hanging on the back of her door in a plastic bag. I am going to put it in our spare room cupboard and I have bought some "damp rid" i think they are the beads you are all talking about to put in the bottom! Thing is though my dress is longer than the plastic bag and is probably getting creased but i figure I will be getting it altered anyways in August so should be ok for now?? What do we think??? 8O

amymelody

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 pm

cj2011 wrote:
I bought my dress on the weekend. At the moment my BM hs it hanging on the back of her door in a plastic bag. I am going to put it in our spare room cupboard and I have bought some "damp rid" i think they are the beads you are all talking about to put in the bottom! Thing is though my dress is longer than the plastic bag and is probably getting creased but i figure I will be getting it altered anyways in August so should be ok for now?? What do we think??? 8O

I'm in the same boat as you! My dress is longer than the plastic garment bag, so it's getting a bit sqooshed, I've chucked some silica gel sachets in the bottom. Fingers crossed nothing bad happens. I'm getting mine latered in July.

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Mine hung in our cupboard in it's garment bag. It was over the winter period though so there was no humidity for it to 'sweat'. We had to travel 9 hours by car to get to our wedding location so there was no point hanging it up to get the creases out, only to fold it all back up to put it in the bag. As soon as we got to the location (the night before) I hung it up high on a bathroom door, spread out the train and turned the hot shower on to steam the creases out.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24