A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 16
 
cj2011
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 685
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 am

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 pm

I have only received one thank you card from the 10 weddings i have been to! are they really that common anymore??
 
YUKI
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:27 pm

I never expect a Thank You. I always thought thats what the bon bon's are for...
 
tasbride2011
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:17 am

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:47 pm

YUKI wrote:
I never expect a Thank You. I always thought thats what the bon bon's are for...



Same.. I have been to about 9 wedding in the past three years or something, and have never received a thank you card. I've never been offended by this either, because really, the couple has asked us to their special day, provided us with a fun night out and food/drinks, and then had bon bons on the table with a little thank you note.. I didn't ever expect anything more.

I wasn't planning on doing them, now I'm wondering how many people that might annoy!
 
drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz
Posts: 10969
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:51 pm

Guess I better get my butt into gear and send out our thank you cards!! :oops:
 
User avatar
*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever
Posts: 22439
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:54 pm

tasbride2011 wrote:
YUKI wrote:
I never expect a Thank You. I always thought thats what the bon bon's are for...



Same.. I have been to about 9 wedding in the past three years or something, and have never received a thank you card. I've never been offended by this either, because really, the couple has asked us to their special day, provided us with a fun night out and food/drinks, and then had bon bons on the table with a little thank you note.. I didn't ever expect anything more.

I wasn't planning on doing them, now I'm wondering how many people that might annoy!


I've only ever received one. It doesn't bother me too much tbh however I did send ours out 4 weeks after our own wedding.
 
User avatar
almostthere
finallydone
finallydone
Posts: 664
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Not enough 'finger food' to go around at a cocktail reception. I was in the bridal party so all the girls hadn't eaten for majority of the day, know for a fact that the bride specifically requested the waiters make sure the whole bridal party was seen to for this reason, yet left the reception being able to count the number of things I ate with my fingers on one hand. There just wasn't enough food for ANYONE! I spoke to heaps of people afterwards who had to stop off somewhere else once they'd left the reception and get something to eat. Not cool!

Went to one wedding reception where there was NO seating! It was a cocktail/BYO alcoholic drinks/soft drinks provided affair. The only seats were brought by people who happened to have fold up chairs in the boots of their cars or the few eskys that were lying around. Had the sorest feet and legs ever after standing up for hours. And crap food. Deep fried things out of a box from the frozen food aisle is poor form at a wedding in my opinion.
 
drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz
Posts: 10969
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 pm

I went to a wedding of mixed cultures: Macedonian and Aussie. However, on the dance floor it was mainly Macedonian dancing which consisted of going round and round in a big circle holding people's hands... It was fun for the first few songs but not the entire dancing time!!
 
User avatar
BubS
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 1222
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Travelling to a destination you're not familiar with and then being left to your own devices for 4 hours after the ceremony.
Neither set of parents, or the bride and groom for that matter, making their way around the tables to talk to each guest.
 
funkytwigs
♥ love forever always ♥
♥ love forever always ♥
Posts: 1050
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:48 am

been to 9 weddings in the last year and only ever recieved 3 thank-yous - did not annoy me that much as the ones that did not send the cards all had lovely favours
with than-yous on them.
One wedding did annoy me, we were a very last minute invite (3 weeks before the date) and when we got to the reception my name was mis-spelt and i was placed on a table seperate from my DH (finacee at that time). Lucky for us his brother was on that table so swapped seats with me. And another annoyance, after i got married, my DH got invited to a wedding but i was not. If your inviting a married couple you should invite both parts of the couple. Ps. i did get the invite to the engagement party with the wishing well thou. Shows how much they valued my connection with DH then.

last annoyance, thou its an engagement party - do not write Cocktail for the dress code then have the majority of the guest turn up in jeans and shirts, casual club wear etc. I felt so out of place with DH, i was wearing an elegant BM dress from my BF wedding, hair and make-up, stuck out like a sore thumb. Maybe that why i did not get invited to the wedding, i did upstage the bride a bit at that party :roll:
 
User avatar
cabaret
I need a title
I need a title
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 am

My mum reminded me of one last night, I forgot all about it, I was 15 at the time.

My Mum's cousin's wedding, they had a 12-course meal. My Mum's family is Maltese and the groom's family were Greek, so its not like they were tiny little servings either, because for some reason they had to have both Greek and Maltese food.

However that wasnt the point. Before every dish, the food was served, the MC would announce "And everyone stand now to applaud the first entree/fish main/meat main/dessert/fruit platter/cheese platter/cake/coffee etc etc that the bride and groom are sharing" and we all had to stand up and clap.

It was weird. I remember me and my brother absolutely pissing ourselves laughing after about the 4th time it was done. Then by the time it was the "applaud for the after dinner mints and coffee" everyone was just rolling their eyes and doing that really slow, sarcastic clap.
 
annie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 am

drinkyoupretty wrote:
I went to a wedding of mixed cultures: Macedonian and Aussie. However, on the dance floor it was mainly Macedonian dancing which consisted of going round and round in a big circle holding people's hands... It was fun for the first few songs but not the entire dancing time!!




FH is Maco & our engagment was like that!! I put my foot down for the wedding and said half an hour of maso and half an hour of Italian..
 
User avatar
emmylouly
Mrs Klinakis
Mrs Klinakis
Posts: 1595
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

cabaret wrote:
However that wasnt the point. Before every dish, the food was served, the MC would announce "And everyone stand now to applaud the first entree/fish main/meat main/dessert/fruit platter/cheese platter/cake/coffee etc etc that the bride and groom are sharing" and we all had to stand up and clap.

It was weird. I remember me and my brother absolutely pissing ourselves laughing after about the 4th time it was done. Then by the time it was the "applaud for the after dinner mints and coffee" everyone was just rolling their eyes and doing that really slow, sarcastic clap.

ROFL! What on earth!?!
 
User avatar
chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥
Posts: 7610
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm another one who's glad to see that not everybody expects a thank you card. We did intend to send them out and could well still do it (though they will be very late by that time). Between them being thanked in every single speech on the night, as well as thanked personally when we went around to each person individually, AND the bonbons with a thank you on them, I just don't see thank you cards as being 110% necessary. I've received one thank you card from all the weddings I've been to. It was nice to receive it, but certainly not expected. And I would never think it rude of the couple to not send one either.
 
User avatar
L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here
Posts: 7229
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

I get annoyed/disappointed when the bride and/or groom don't make the effort to speak to people who attend. I have been to a number of weddings and at one of them the bride spent the whole night talking/dancing with a group of three girls and ignored the rest of the guests completely. When the meals and speeches were on she honestly looked annoyed it was cutting into socialising time!

I would prefer a thank you card but agree a bonboneirie is sufficient.

I do get annoyed at large gaps between ceremonies and receptions without anything nearby or entertainment or anything provided. I had a friend go to a wedding at a winery that was about 45 minutes from anything. Ceremony at 2pm, Reception at 6pm. NOTHING for the guests to do in between. They were not allowed in the reception hall until 6pm and it was hot. In the end they drove the 45 minutes there and back to get a cool drink at a pub. To me that one was bad form. I am glad I was not the guest!
 
45hl31gh
Member
Member
Topic Author
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:47 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm

hehehehe these are kinda funny. Found myself laughing at quite a few of these comments :lol:

In regards to thank-yous each to their own but I see the bonbonniere as a thank-you for coming, not thanks for everything. I remember when i had bday parties as a kid I used to have to say thank you for the present as I opened them to the people I got them from (parents included) and when they were going home I gave them a party bag and said thanks for coming. I dont really see it as much different but a wedding normally has a bigger price tag for the guests so I feel its important to acknowledge the gift, the effort someones made (if so!) and if it was a money wedding I think its important to thank people as well as tell them what you purchased. People like to know where their money went. When our son was born we wrote personalised to the 100 + people who gave a card or present and the people who gave money or gift vouchers we took a photo of our son using or wearing what we purchased and sent it to them. obviously the photo thing wouldnt fit a wedding,(a cute baby in the high chair is different!) it would probably be seen as quite strange to be honest hahaha but you get my drift. but people genuinely really appreciated it and I got comments about it for months. But like I said each to their own! I just wanted to explain my reasoning of why I would expect one or will definitely be doing them!
 
User avatar
jasmine&paul
I survived and got married
I survived and got married
Posts: 657
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:35 pm

Just my opinions:
- i really like a thank you card or some sort of ackowledgement after giving the couple a gift after they have received it but out of the 4 weddings i went to last year i only got one so maybe it isnt the done thing any more although i will be doing them.
- large gaps really annoying especially in a hot western sydney suburb for 6hrs - not cool!!
- venues that do not offer accomodation and are really in the middle of no where so someone has to drive.
- not providing any sparkling wine & making guests pay for it.
- other guests talking loudly during the speeches
- not being able to sit with your fh
- not having enough sparking wine for the toasts! my glass was empty at one wedding cos the venue ran out.
- having to eat 10 courses of mainly seafood then not any dessert or wedding cake
- getting no wedding cake (yes i like cake!) & seeing it packed away in boxes uncut!
- buffet style but then not offering anyone seconds when there is plenty of food left over
- band or dj playing nothing heard on the radio in the last 10 years!!
Im sure i will probably annoy my guests with things that happen on my wedding day!
 
User avatar
soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥
Posts: 1258
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 pm

annie wrote:
drinkyoupretty wrote:
I went to a wedding of mixed cultures: Macedonian and Aussie. However, on the dance floor it was mainly Macedonian dancing which consisted of going round and round in a big circle holding people's hands... It was fun for the first few songs but not the entire dancing time!!


FH is Maco & our engagment was like that!! I put my foot down for the wedding and said half an hour of maso and half an hour of Italian..



Hahaha...My FH is half aussie/Maco and I'm Afghan...and the music is my number ONE concern at the moment because I want it to be a good balance between all
THREE!!!! I've been to soooo many Afghan weddings where the usually the bride is Aussie and the poor thing seems to disappear completely into the Afghan culture at her own wedding; there's usually only afghan music played and then toward the end maybe if she's lucky some Euro-trash type dance music 8O and you can spot the poor girls family well too at the wedding...they just sit there like stunned mullets and are also the only blondes! lol
 
annie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:09 pm

soni@ wrote:
annie wrote:
drinkyoupretty wrote:
I went to a wedding of mixed cultures: Macedonian and Aussie. However, on the dance floor it was mainly Macedonian dancing which consisted of going round and round in a big circle holding people's hands... It was fun for the first few songs but not the entire dancing time!!


FH is Maco & our engagment was like that!! I put my foot down for the wedding and said half an hour of maso and half an hour of Italian..



Hahaha...My FH is half aussie/Maco and I'm Afghan...and the music is my number ONE concern at the moment because I want it to be a good balance between all
THREE!!!! I've been to soooo many Afghan weddings where the usually the bride is Aussie and the poor thing seems to disappear completely into the Afghan culture at her own wedding; there's usually only afghan music played and then toward the end maybe if she's lucky some Euro-trash type dance music 8O and you can spot the poor girls family well too at the wedding...they just sit there like stunned mullets and are also the only blondes! lol




lol

I said mainly aussie music and 1- 1.5 hours of international music..
Is your FH having a band at his house in the morning ?? Mine is .
 
feb2011wedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:51 am

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:17 pm

I went to a wedding a few weeks back where they didn't serve entree until 9pm! Reception started at 7 and they bought around drinks and these little sweet and sour cold soup shot things, but no actual food till 9! Then it was about 6 courses, so the dessert didn't come out till about 11pm and by then I was too tired and had lost my appetite! Most of the guests didn't even eat half the food that was bought out and a lot were already drunk before entree came out...
 
User avatar
soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥
Posts: 1258
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: What has annoyed you about other peoples weddings?

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:30 am

FH is Maco & our engagment was like that!! I put my foot down for the wedding and said half an hour of maso and half an hour of Italian..


Hahaha...My FH is half aussie/Maco and I'm Afghan...and the music is my number ONE concern at the moment because I want it to be a good balance between all
THREE!!!! I've been to soooo many Afghan weddings where the usually the bride is Aussie and the poor thing seems to disappear completely into the Afghan culture at her own wedding; there's usually only afghan music played and then toward the end maybe if she's lucky some Euro-trash type dance music 8O and you can spot the poor girls family well too at the wedding...they just sit there like stunned mullets and are also the only blondes! lol



lol

I said mainly aussie music and 1- 1.5 hours of international music..
Is your FH having a band at his house in the morning ?? Mine is .




A band at his house?! no...hmmm...that's interesting..I'll have to ask FMIL about that one...is it tradition? we're just having a DJ at the wedding
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 16
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35