A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

AliBaby
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Brides with shortened names - need your help

Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 pm

It is rare that I am called by my full first name.
It has always been shortened to Ali, except for my mum who will call me Alison. If I were to introduce myself to someone I would say hi, I'm Ali.

My question is do I put my full name on wedding invites, in vows, on place cards, etc? For the vows I am thinking I should, but am unsure about the others.

What did you do?

On one hand I feel strange saying my full name as it seems so formal but then I think to myself that it is the nameI was given so I should use it.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Brides with shortened names - need your help

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Yeh, I've also been thinking about that. I have decided that I will most probably use my full name in the ceremony (vows etc), but at the reception (ie when introduced by MC etc) I will use the shortened version of my name.

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:39 pm

My FH only ever goes by "Matt" the engement invitations he put that down, unsure about the wedding invites though. The vows will definetly be his full name though, as we botrh agreed that as were using full names it would be a bit strange sounding to say *shortened first name* *middle name* *surname*

Neptune
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Last edited by Neptune on Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm

FH and I are in the same boat. Even our parents don't call us by our full first names! On our invites and during our ceremony we will use our proper first names though as it seems more appropriate somehow.

annie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:02 pm

My full name Is Antonietta but since day one everyone called me Annette, so on the invites and through the ceremony it will say Annette, but legal docs and certificate will say Antonietta

Ashie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:09 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot recently too - I think we'll use full names (for the formal effect) on invitations and vows; but for the rest of the night we'll resort to my shortened name.

I don't use my full name for my work or anything; and the only time I get called it is when I'm in severe trouble by my parents lol so I'm not overly comfortable with it.

Gold Coast Celebrant

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi,
For your wedding ceremony your full legal names must be said out load at least once.
I usually include the full names in the Official Vows.....
"I call upon the persons here present,
to witness that I, Groom full name…………,
take thee/you, Bride full name………………,
to be my lawful wedded wife"
And the same for the bride.
But everywhere else in the ceremony, I use whatever names the couple choose.

Cheers,
Sheryl Massey CMC :heart:
sheryl@celebrantmarriages.com.au

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:49 pm

My husband is known by a different name to his real name but we wanted to keep things formal because it was our wedding so we used his real name for everything, invites, ceremony and reception. Suprisingly we had a few pwopl say isn't ... his real name".

nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm

We had a funny thing happen years ago. I got an invite from my cousin saying "Cousin and Adam" blah blah blah

Everyone, EVERYONE was thinking "Who the hell is Adam?!" Adam was the grooms real first name, but everyone else knew him as George.

Ceremony, go full name where it's more formal. Afterward, go by what everyone knows you as.

We don't have that issue. I'm Cara, FH is Mark.

groomybride

Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:13 pm

AliBaby wrote:
It is rare that I am called by my full first name.
My question is do I put my full name on wedding invites, in vows, on place cards, etc? For the vows I am thinking I should, but am unsure about the others.

What did you do?

On one hand I feel strange saying my full name as it seems so formal but then I think to myself that it is the nameI was given so I should use it.

It doesnt matter if its Alison or Ali, but putting the shorter name which is Ali on the invitation would be an excellent idea, putting the full first name in the invitation seems to be conventional and old fashion.

tarwon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:45 pm

My FH's name is Thomas, but the only time we'll be using his full name will be in the legal part of the vows, for the rest of the ceremony and the invites we'll just be using 'Tom'

AliBaby
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks everyone.
Think I might stick with my full name forthe formality ofthe vowsand alsoonthe wording of the invite, but on the front of the pocket where it says our names I will have my shortened name :)

kaitos811
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Shortened names for invites, verbal communication at reception etc (Tim and Katie), real names for ceremony (Timothy and Katherine)

lexyles
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 am

:D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.5