A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Ninbee
Topic Author

To keep or throw original bouquet?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Another question...

Are you planning to or did you keep your original bouquet and throw a 'throw away' or did you throw your actual bouquet?

My bouquet is a mixture of roses, proteas, succulent and pepper tree berries, I love it but I seriously don't know where I would store it afterwards, I'm sure I'd find a way and the flowers would dry nicely, but also think it might be nice to 'pass the wedding luck' on too someone else, I know I can do this with an alternate 'throw away bouquet' but I'm wondering if it is really necessary? OR is it nice to look at your old bouquet down the track?

Arrghhh! all these decisions are driving me bonkers 8O 8O 8O

leena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: To keep or throw original bouquet?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:58 pm

I kept my original bouquet (it was made with fakes) and threw a different one. the girl who caught the bouquet kept it

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:09 pm

leena wrote:
I kept my original bouquet (it was made with fakes) and threw a different one. the girl who caught the bouquet kept it

Same

Karza156
♥ Happily ever after ♥
♥ Happily ever after ♥

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:10 pm

At this stage I am planning on keeping my original and using a throwaway. However my SIL threw her actual bouquet as she said she had no need to keep it after the wedding.
Decisions decisions!! :D

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:39 pm

I kept mine and used a throwaway. It's currently sitting with all my wedding stuff that I saved (sample invite, wedding shoes, a centrepiece, etc). It'll probably just remain in the cupboard but I'm glad I have it.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NN
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Mine were fresh flowers and I didn't need to keep it, I gave it away, she was over the moon even if it wasn't going to last very long but I am not attached to anything and to me, I'm married, I'm happy, I have photos and memories, I don't need anything else (different for people who like to keep even the chocolate wrappers :D )

Bonni_Binx
Mrs Ranga
Mrs Ranga

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:25 pm

I am giving my bouquet away to FH's Grandma...

We're playing a 'rigged' game where all the married ladies stand up including me and then the MC will say; "all those married for 1 day or less take a seat", I will sit down then "all those married for 1 year or less take a seat" then "all those married for 5 year or less take a seat" and so on until the Grandma is the only person left standing - she has been married for 60 + years! The idea is for me to give her my bouquet in exchance for a piece of marriage advice.

This will only really work with one Grandparent in attendance - my Grandparents are no longer with us (except my Nanna but she is in the UK and too frail to travel).

I thought this was a nicer way than to do the bouqet toss, being 31 most my friends are now married and I only have 4 single ladies attending the wedding and I think it would be embarrassing for them to stand up in front of 100 people on their own.

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:56 pm

I had a throw away...not only did I want to be able to give my bouquet to my new mother in law as a gift, I also didn't want to injure anyone!! My actual flowers were so heavy as they were packed so tightly together, I think it could have given some a nasty head injury.

caz
Finally the Mrs to my Mr
Finally the Mrs to my Mr

Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:52 pm

im not married yet but i wont be throwing mine at all. more so becuase im getting a button bouquet

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I had a throw away bouquet included for free by my florist, so I threw that one. Good thing I did, because it totally got trashed as the girls scrambled for it! While I wasn't planning on keeping my real bouquet, I think I would have been sad to see it destroyed so quickly. Ours lived in a vase until we went on our honeymoon and when we came back it was cripsy, so I threw it away. I loved my bouquet, but I didn't want to freeze dry it either.

ravensbride2010
Hiking Wife
Hiking Wife

Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I had a throwaway given to me by the florist as part of our package and used that but instead of throwing it we also did the game where the couple that have been married the longest (DH's grandma) received the throwaway.

I then gave my actual bouquet as a gift to my nan who enjoyed it a lot more than I would have if I had just left it to die while I was on my honeymoon :lol:

I am personally not a fan of the dried, framed photos - they are kind of creepy - like coffins for flowers 8O DH agreed so I said "well then you will have to buy me fresh flowers then!"

Sariele

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:06 pm

ravensbride2010 wrote:
I am personally not a fan of the dried, framed photos - they are kind of creepy - like coffins for flowers 8O

OMG, lol! You've said exactly what I feel, except I didn't know I felt that way til I read this, IYKWIM. "Creepy flower coffins", hehe, that's classic.

I won't be doing a bouquet toss at my (hypothetical) wedding; DP and I don't have many friends, and the ones who will be there are all couples, so I'll probably just give my flowers to my mum or something. Having said that, if I did have enough single female friends I would definitely throw my own bouquet; no need to keep it once there's photos of it, and too depressing to watch them die! I feel this way generally about flowers, as much as I love receiving them.

Ninbee
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:21 pm

OMG you girls have been great! you have given me an idea, I will give my bouquet to my Mum at the end of the night - as I'm stumped as to what 'gift' I should give her and I'm like sariele - I hate watching flowers die!

Oh and my florist just emailed me and said that a 'throw away' was included in my flower price great! PERFECT!

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:09 pm

I am giving my bouquet to my grandma. I will have a throw away bouquet to toss (it will be a smaller version of my actual bouquet).

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Sariele wrote:
ravensbride2010 wrote:
I am personally not a fan of the dried, framed photos - they are kind of creepy - like coffins for flowers 8O

OMG, lol! You've said exactly what I feel, except I didn't know I felt that way til I read this, IYKWIM. "Creepy flower coffins", hehe, that's classic.

YES!!! Totally feel the same!! Its like having an open casket on display in your home!

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:22 pm

I also had a free throw away from my florist so I used that. My bouquet is drying at my parents, along with one bridesmaid bouquet. Im not sure what I will do with it, I might just put it in a box with my other wedding keepsakes, but Im glad Ive got it so I can at least keep it if I decide I want to.
At first I didnt realise that my florist gave a free throw away and so I considered just throwing my bouquet, but in the end I couldnt do it. Would have felt too sad seeing the girls rip it apart as they dived for it :lol: , and it was too heavy anyway.

snowa

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm

I'm planning that at the end of the night just after we have had our last dance and are about to leave is to give my mum my bouquet and depending on the size of the throw away bouquet (I may get it made a little larger) give that me my mother in law.

As with most other people here most of our friends who will be there are already married and since we are leaving for our honeymoon the following day, I didn't want them to just die, I would rather let someone else get enjoyment out of them

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:05 pm

I plan on getting a throw bouquet as I would like to keep mine (they are silk flowers). I don't even have it and I love it already (from the photos I've seen) and I don't think I could throw it and watch it get ruined.

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:21 pm

snowa wrote:
I'm planning that at the end of the night just after we have had our last dance and are about to leave is to give my mum my bouquet and depending on the size of the throw away bouquet (I may get it made a little larger) give that me my mother in law.

I would have thought the throw away is kept by the person that catches it. Or are you not planning to actually throw it?
GZIP: On | Load: 0.16