A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

To bustle or not?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Just a quick question - how many of you had the train of your dress bustled up when you made your reception entrance? I am thinking that it would look nicer with the train down but not sure how quickly the dress can be bustled up before the first dance or if it would create an awkward pause in between the two events.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Re: To bustle or not?

Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

I bustled. Everyone had already seen the train in all it's glory as I walked down the aisle, by the time I entered reception I was very ready for it to be out of the way! I don't think I would have been able to sit in my chair very nicely if I hadn't had it bustled either.

soni@
♥ Mrs Went ♥
♥ Mrs Went ♥

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:45 am

I'll be bustled up...my dress has colour-coded ribbons so that each go exactly where it needs to quickly! but you cant see the ribbons when its down of course!

this maybe a quick way to bustle up later if you want to keep it down for part of the reception :)

chellebelle
♥ baby on board! ♥
♥ baby on board! ♥

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:16 am

I bustled for my entrance into the reception. It was pretty quick and easy to put up but (depending on your dress, of course) you might not want to do quickly in front of people. My BMs had to get down on their knees to find the little loops to put the dress up.
I'd had the train down for the ceremony and pro photos and the reception was time for me to dance the night away, so I figured I needed it up.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:18 am

I bustled after I had arrived at the reception, actually it was after I ate. I was in it until I started walking around to the tables and saying hello to everyone. I loved my dress and wanted it out as long as possible but its a bit hard when you are walking around all the tables :D

Cyn84
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

I had wanted mine bustled as it was heavy and worried about it catching, BM's refused to do it and well ended up with a big rip in the netting :( .

nomesy
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

i had mine bustled aswell- at the end of the night the loop had broken, but i wasnt worried. How ever my train kept falling off the bustle thru out the night- esp every time i got up to stand either dh or bm's had to re-bustle me up, even a couple of good mates who were guests of mine re did it when i was talking to them at there table!

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess

Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:03 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caz
Finally the Mrs to my Mr
Finally the Mrs to my Mr

Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:58 pm

i wont havr this problem as my "train" is tulle

SpecialKK
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥
♥ Love being Mrs B ♥

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:19 pm

I bustled before the reception, my train was way too long to be walking around in or sitting down in :mrgreen:

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Mine wasn't bustled...I think after walking in and doing speeches I had my BM's do it.

If you are going your dance straight after you walk into the reception, then I would say have it bustled when you walk in. But if you walk in, sit down, eat etc and then dance, you will be able to find a space there to bustle it.

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 pm

I plan on bustling it before I walk in :)

Bec1983
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 pm

I am quite opinionated on the subject of the bustle after the experience I had at our wedding so sorry for the very frank opinion.

I was all about having train out for the for all the big moments during our wedding. That was until we got a hail storm during our wedding and by the time we we walking into the reception my train was dirty, wet, and I just wanted to lift it off the ground. Despite all my intentions in the lead up to the wedding to have my train down as much as possible on the day it just did not pan out like that.

I am going to give you the advice that my MOH gave me when I asked the exact same question in the lead up to my wedding - I would suggest having the ability to bustle your dress up. If it is done well you should not be able to see it when the train is out, and then you can make the decision on the day.

missk1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 am

I left it out for the entrance up until just before the first dance, although I didn't have a large skirt to the dress, it was easy to bustle quickly, I think it was just a hook an eye. However soon after the first dance my husband stepped on my dress and broke the bustle anywayso i had to have the train of my dress over my arm when dancing.

You could enter with it down and if it can be bustled discretely, you and your BM could go to the ladies room to do it.

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:57 am

I didn't bustle because a. the bustle buttons broke and it couldn't be bustled and b. it can be dry cleaned and why get a dress with a train if your going to hide half of it! People still took pics all night so I wasn't fussed about leaving it out!

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I'm seeing a pattern here of broken bustles...the same thing happend to mine too. Maybe its best to have a discussion with the dressmaker about this, basically it looks like they are all doing a bit of a dodgy job, but of course by the time you get to the reception you don't care so much, so they are getting away with it.

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:45 am

I'm going to go against the trend and say I DIDN'T BUSTLE ALL NIGHT!

I loved my dress and personally am not a big fan of dresses being bustled (each to their own though). I did have the option to bustle but I also had a loop on the train to put on my finger so throughout different parts of the night I either just let it hang down :lol: or put it onto my finger (mainly for dancing). I figured I wasn't paying all this money for an amazing dress for only 1 night & not having it look the way I loved it. I didn't find it an issue at all but I suppose it depends on the dress too.

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I was told by the ladies in the shop that my dress is normally bustled under rather than over (that is the way the designer prefers it). It preserves the shape of the dress better - will have to wait til the fittings but the way they showed me looked quite pretty.

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I had it bustled. Actually, I had it bustled and then half the skirt tucked into the back of my dress because it was still too long to dance in! We were doing a jive so I really had to have it all off the floor. no one actually noticed it was even tucked into my dress except for my Dad but even he didn't realise it was tucked in. He thought I'd totally changed skirts!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:09 pm

You girls who didn't bustle were lucky! I did love my train too, but it was BIG and there is no way I could have sat down at the table in mine or danced with my DH if it hadn't been bustled!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.18