A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Yolanda
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Dress Shopping

Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi All,

I have made some appointments for Feb 17 to go dress shopping.

I have booked at Raffaele Ciuca & Brides of Armadale. Do you think 2 places is enough?
I don't really like the idea of having to get dressed & undressed hundreds of times. I was hoping to get a dress for under $2500 so thought best to stay away from the designer places.

Any tips for trying dresses on?

Lozzzaaa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Dress Shopping

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Hey,
I also went shopping in Armadale, 2 places that were great to deal with were Ravish- i went in without an appointment, lovely to deal with- and The house of Moshe, who are quite nice to deal with, but probably best with an appointment- I ended up getting my dress from the House of Moshe. Ended up having to choose between 1 dress from each of these places as my final 2 that I liked!

Happyeverafter
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:47 pm

i think it is good to just start of with that rather than overkill yourself in the beginning. You will know if you need more appointments later based on how you go. Besides... in the hot weather, dressing and undressing with wedding gowns can get you really frustrated...

I only went to 4 places before I bought my dress...

but I am now wishing I didn't get too carried away at the shop and putting down a deposit straightaway because I found 'The dress', cause I found my dress today at Bridalgown.net. It wasn't there when I placed my order at the shop a month ago... but I could have saved myself $675!!!!! That is ridiculous money that I wasted for not waiting a month! That'll be my word of advice to you...

LittleB

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I think 2 shops is good to start with and see how you go. You will know when it's the right one. I went to Raffaela ciuca on high st. They have nice dresses and the lady that helped me was so lovely.

Good luck.

LittleB

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

Happyeverafter wrote:
but I am now wishing I didn't get too carried away at the shop and putting down a deposit straightaway because I found 'The dress', cause I found my dress today at Bridalgown.net. It wasn't there when I placed my order at the shop a month ago... but I could have saved myself $675!!!!! That is ridiculous money that I wasted for not waiting a month! That'll be my word of advice to you...

That's a bummer...:(

spacevoyager
Anti-Bridezilla
Anti-Bridezilla

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:25 am

Wear appropriate underwear....it's likely that the sales assistant will get a good eyeful as she does up the dress.

If you have long-ish hair, wear it in a loose ponytail so that you can wear it down or pulled back if trying on veils with the dress.

Listen to the sales assistant. They dress brides every day and she might have a great idea to suit your body shape and style that haven't thought of yet.

Go easy on the makeup. It's not great to transfer your face onto a $1000-$2500 dress even if it is a sample gown.

drinkyoupretty
little red dot in oz
little red dot in oz

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:32 am

If you have a particular style or material in mind, be open to other options - you may be surprised that what you had your heart set on for a while may not be the best fit IYKWIM?

polkadotprincess
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:24 am

Last edited by polkadotprincess on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:57 am

I agree with the other lovely ladies!
Don't wear Makeup with the amount of dresses going over your head its a. not going to look very nice by the end and b. you don't want it all over the expensive dresses.
Also try on all the different styles, what may look horrid on a hanger may suit you perfectly!
I got my dress for $2250 so a $2500 budget is very realistic!
Good Luck, oh and remember to take a friend or mum with you for a second opinion and when you find the one, you'll know cause as soon as you put it on you will find nothing wrong with it and you'll feel like a true princess!

Oh and don't forget photos....we love dress photos!

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:32 am

I think 2 shops on one day is a sufficient start - I don't think any more would be enjoyable!!

The other girls have all given great tips - I'd go on my
own though, at least to the first appointments where you're getting an idea of styles that suit. If you think you've found "the dress" make another appointment and take your mum/BM to give their opinion. I found in difficult in the beginning with so many different opinions being thrown around!

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:38 am

amberino21 wrote:
The other girls have all given great tips - I'd go on my
own though, at least to the first appointments where you're getting an idea of styles that suit. If you think you've found "the dress" make another appointment and take your mum/BM to give their opinion. I found in difficult in the beginning with so many different opinions being thrown around!

Excellent advice!!

I also agree that two shops are a great start :)

Yolanda
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips. I will try and remember a strapless bra too!

polkadotprincess wrote:
hi yolanda,

i work at RC and im pretty sure im the one who took your call!! :lol: dont worry we help you into the dresses and lace you up. to make like a little easier for yourself, just be sure not to wear makeup or do your hair nicely, because its sure to get messy with putting dresses over your head! other than than, just bring yourself :D

Thanks for the advice :)

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:26 pm

I did one on my first go, haha. Then when I knew more of what I wanted I worked my way to up longer days, its actually ridiculously exhausting.

~abstar~

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:47 pm

cabaret wrote:
I did one on my first go, haha. Then when I knew more of what I wanted I worked my way to up longer days, its actually ridiculously exhausting.

Exactly who would of thought trying on dresses was so exhausting!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.49