A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

SHELLBELL99
Topic Author

Wedding cakes - round v square

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi everyone,

Am tossing up whether to have a square or round cake for our wedding. We are looking at three tiers as I have a friend who's going to make the cake.

We are having the two bottom tiers as fruit cake but my fiance doesn't like mud or fruit so want something nice as the top tier. Any suggestions and also what is everyone else having??

Just getting ideas please :D :e_hug:

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Re: Wedding cakes - round v aquare

Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:55 pm

We had round, simply because I like the softness of round cakes. Square cakes are a bit too 'funky' for me :lol: (I know that makes no sense, but I just don't like hard edges!)

We had caramel mud, choc mud and white choc mud, one flavour per tier. If you are having the different cake at the top, you can really do what you like and what the cake maker can do though - as it won't need to be solid enough to support anything on top of it. Maybe a spounge? What sort of cake does your FH like? I don't like mud cake, but we had a whole cake of mud as we knew it would appeal to the majority of our guests.

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:07 pm

We are having a two-tier square cake. Bottom layer is chocolate mud cake and top layer is Tahitian vanilla pound cake.

Bride2Be111

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:12 pm

I think it depends on your cake stand... Lol... I personally like these ones - I love cheesecake - So I'd go with a nice cheesecake with strawberries covered all over the top - served with double whipped king island cream mmm...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOOTED-MIRROR-TOP-W ... 45f6be574f

http://stores.ebay.com/Caterers-Warehou ... c=1&_sop=1

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:17 pm

In terms of decorating, round cakes seem to be cheaper and easier to decorate...

We're having round- the cakes we liked were round! No other reason :)

michelle1

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:51 pm

We were going to get a round three tier cake, but the cake lady told us we would get about 100 serves out of a 3 tier square cake, compared to about 60-70 for the round cake. They were exactly the same price, so we decided to go with the square as we are having it as dessert. I think this is because of how they have to cut it.

We are having choc mud, white chocolate swirl and lemon. Yum!

beldon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

We are having a 2-tier round cake. I chose round over square simply because our engagement cake was square, so I wanted to be different. I hate fruit cake, so our flavours are one being caramel mudcake and one being jaffa mudcake. FH loves the "choc orange" flavour, so we had to go jaffa, and I adore everything caramel, so it was sort of one tier representing each of us.

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:02 pm

We are going with a round cake simply because of the design I found.

It comes down to personal preference :)

Ali_jane
Mrs M
Mrs M

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:01 am

Square cakes will give you more serves than a round cake so that may be something to consider. I personally prefer round cakes as they look 'softer'. I made my own cake & it was choc mud on the bottom tier & white choc citrus mud on top. I got soooo many comments about the citrus one and it's not quite as dense as a normal mud cake - PM me if you want the recipe.

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:08 am

I originally wanted square as I was serving my cake for dessert but my cake maker talked me into round cause they do look better and he prefers round as they are easier to decorate and he then provided me with a massive slab for a kitchen cake! We had more than enough with a 12inch round bottom tier, 10inch round top teir and 14inch kitchen cake, it fed my 70/80 guests for dessert (nice big sizes) and I still have the top tier left over in the freezer and half of the bottom tier was consumed in the days after the wedding, all up mine was only $300 and that included a 8 inch gluten free cake!

nomesy
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 am

we had a 2 teir square cake- we just stuck with a mud cake for both tiers, as we both hate fruit cake :)
we had seen a pic of a round cake similiar style to ours that she made but we preferred the square.... Really it depends on what you both want really.
this is a pic of ours
ourcake.jpg

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am

We had a two tier square cake. I always wanted square as I like the clean edges and I'm a pretty modern type of person. It cost us $350 and was huge. Simple yet effective as it fit our theme perfectly. I just don't think a round one would have tied in properly.

December 2010 128.jpg

DSCF0143.jpg

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 am

kachward wrote:
We had a two tier square cake. I always wanted square as I like the clean edges and I'm a pretty modern type of person. It cost us $350 and was huge. Simple yet effective as it fit our theme perfectly. I just don't think a round one would have tied in properly.

December 2010 128.jpg

DSCF0143.jpg

Wow!! 8O Can I ask who you used? We're having a lot of trouble finding an affordable cake.

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 am

:oops: The Cheescake Shop at Albany Creek. lol. Totally unexpected but it was brilliant. They were great to work with, affordable & she made the cake EXACTLY how I wanted it. Super yummy too. I highly recommend them Malin. Only thing is they don't deliver so you would need to pick it up the day before or morning of.

narileena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am

Super yummy too.

I only managed one bite because I was so full lol but it was yummy!

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 am

kachward wrote:
:oops: The Cheescake Shop at Albany Creek. lol. Totally unexpected but it was brilliant. They were great to work with, affordable & she made the cake EXACTLY how I wanted it. Super yummy too. I highly recommend them Malin. Only thing is they don't deliver so you would need to pick it up the day before or morning of.

Oh wow! I'll definitely check them out! :D Thanks!!

ETA: Do you know if they are frozen or baked fresh?

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:32 am

They are without a doubt baked fresh. And they use a proper wedding mix not their standard shop mix.

Narileena, I'm glad you liked it hun. Hubby and I didn't even get a piece to take home! Although I did manage to stuff two mouthfuls in JUST to say I'd had some :wink:

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 am

kachward wrote:
They are without a doubt baked fresh. And they use a proper wedding mix not their standard shop mix.

Excellent! :D

Bride2Be111

Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am

I love this cake stand - I just emailed the seller to ask how much postage to Australia is :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT
GZIP: On | Load: 0.25