A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

RinTinTin
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Wedding cakes - round v aquare

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:11 pm

All down to personal choice I think...Do a heap of googling and find out what you like :D
We had a 2 teir square cake and I loved it! We also had choc ganache rather than a more 'traditional' icing and decoration, as it suited us and our wedding better. Oh and we had choc mud and caramel mud.

wishy
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:42 pm

We've having a 3 tier square cake, each tier is a different flavour.

Mandib2b
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:40 pm

My sister is having a 3 tier round cake (white) with black ribbon & im having cupcakes :)

Chloe_7

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Square cakes definitely give you more slices per section. This may be something to consider if you're budget conscious. You can have them look formal or modern depending upon your theme. I personally love the groovy 'off set' style that is quite popular at the moment. Here are some different designs I like -

smeeangel
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:46 am

We had a 3 tier square cake. I just liked the look of the square cakes and felt they looked a bit more modern. Our flavours were choc/orange (1st tier) white choc raspberry (2nd) and choc fudge/vanilla butter cake for the top tier.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Man I wish Planet Cake were in Adelaide!

I love their work!

As far as the round/square option goes. I am a firm beleiver in get what you like :D Unless you need square for extra serves I guess. I think both are equally as popular and 'appropriate' as one another.

kachward
♥ Mrs KK ♥
♥ Mrs KK ♥

Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Chloe_7 wrote:
Square cakes definitely give you more slices per section. -

True. We were told the same thing which was the final cruncher on our decision.

Kellyansapansa
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 am

We had a fake cake and cake pops, so we didn't have to make this decision. However, our cake supplier and reception venue both told us that square cakes are quicker and easier to serve and there is less wastage. With round cakes, you either end up with uneven serves, or wasted cake because they have to cut off the round edges to make square serves.

h20

Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am

I like square - round ones remind me of hats/hat boxes!

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Round cakes are more popular, but both are gorgeous. I personally prefer round, and our customers order more round than square. The only price difference with a square cake is because they need more mixture to fill the tin, so therefore more cake needs to be made. But they are no harder to decorate. Really, it boils down to whether your design suits what shape. I absolutely love some of the designs with different shapes e.g. Square bottom tier, Hextagonal middle tier, and round top. But there are a lot of combinations. As for flavours, we do over 20 different mud, but other options are Banana cake, Madiera, carrot cake and just as long as it could support your chosen icing, pretty much anything. White Bacci is fabulous.

Ben
Photographer
Photographer

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 pm

square cakes own. IMO they look way cooler in pictures.

heartstringz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:38 am

We are being different and having a four tier cake - bottom tier is square, two middle tiers are round and the small top tier is square. I think it will look really good and be something a little unusual. :)

seaweed
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Wedding cakes - round v square

Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 am

Exactly heartstrings.

Melr
I need a title
I need a title

Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:38 pm

we will be having a square one.. we are serving our cake as the desert so we wanted to get more cake for our buck :)

Junia
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I've always been a fan of round cakes, but after hearing that square cakes generally produce greater proportions I think my mind has been changed a little.

No I'm not planning a wedding at this moment (I'm still waiting on the proposal :roll: ) but honestly the cake has never been that important to me. I'd like a nice one with a cake topper...but beyond that I'm not fussed. So, my point is, if square serves more and I really only want a 2 tier cake, it sounds like the way to go.

I hope that made sense

Junia :D

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:30 pm

I think it depends on the theme of your wedding. If you are having a traditional style, I think round cake looks better. It is also personal preference. We really liked the soft edges of a round cake, We are having a three tier round cake and it looks amazing on the mirror tile. Ultimately it is up to you.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:54 pm

We will be having square - combination of both personal preference and that we get a little more for the measurements :) We too are having ours for dessert so wanted to make sure we have plenty! Well, leftovers really :lol:

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 pm

i want to have round cake but i also want 4 tiers, i love the look of the bigger cakes. and i love cake, so we will eat it no worries :D
i want to have red velvet with cream cheese frosting but i;ve heard red velvet is a bit delicate for a big cake so might only have the top two or three tiers in red velvet and the bottom one in mud cake.

Pinkest

Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm a bit non-plussed by the replies that say they are going for square because you "get more cake". Surely your cake makers are quoting you on the quantity of serves you require, regardless of the shape of the tiers? If you have 100 guests, then you need to cater for 100 serves; the shape of the tiers will determine how many there are, not the other way around!

Oh, and pinkperfection - cream cheese frosting needs to be kept refrigerated, so you "should" have difficulty in getting this as a selection for your wedding cake. Be wary of anyone who is willing to supply this for you.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Pinkest wrote:
I'm a bit non-plussed by the replies that say they are going for square because you "get more cake". Surely your cake makers are quoting you on the quantity of serves you require, regardless of the shape of the tiers? If you have 100 guests, then you need to cater for 100 serves; the shape of the tiers will determine how many there are, not the other way around.

Its just a matter of mathematics ... a 12 inch round cake contains less volume than a 12 inch square cake.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.43