A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laurennick
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: I'm selling my dress - does this sound legit?

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Sounds dodgy to me. I would only accept cash or direct credit if I were you. There are a few scams around involving paypal.

Ashie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:18 pm

It sounds questionable to me; I would only accept cash or a direct transfer of money to be honest. Paypal isn't necessarily a scam-free option.

NN
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

DO NOT GO AHEAD 8O.

Last year we were selling a motorbike and we got several emails like yours, they claim they need to do it as soon as possible and they will send their shipping company to pick it up.

Obviously we didn't go through so we don't know how the scam works but I'm inclined to think that they pay you via Paypal with like an e-cheque or something like that and tell you they can't wait till it's cleared on your account but since it's via Paypal you're fine and they pick it up, once this happens the e-cheque bounces back and they got your item.

Once again, that's only my hypothesis of how the scam works but I am 100% sure it's an scam, don't waste your time replying any more

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bride2Be111

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:23 pm

With Pay Pal - You send a request for payment from your pay pal accont to the buyers email address. The buyer then proceeds with the pay pal transaction and cannot reverse it once the transaction is complete. I don't think you pay pay pal fees. The money is then deposited into your pay pal account and you can either spend it on pay pal goods or transfer it to your designated bank account. If the buyer is legit you will see the payment advice invoice in your inbox. I have tried to sell my first wedding dress online and received a lot of bogus emails - they would sound legit in the first place and the next thing I knew they would send me a bogus email saying they want me to send the dress from a bullshit pay pal email which stated the funds had transfered. Be ware - Best place to sell a wedding dress is http://www.idogowns.com.au/ they screen all potential buyers before you recieve an inquiry.

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bride2Be111

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

That sounds like a Nigerian scammer trying to get your personal details.

I'd block them and try I Do Gowns.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Bride2Be111 wrote:
I'd block them and try I Do Gowns.

Agreed. I'd tell them where to shove it first though! :mrgreen:

miss_donz
♥ Mrs B ♥
♥ Mrs B ♥

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Hun stay away from it, we had the same kinda emails when selling a car, and also when i was selling a entertainment unit. same thing was over seas or interstate, no ontact phone numbers, only wanted to pay via pay pal, didnt need to look at etc just thru an agent.

stop answering they will go away and if its real they will come back and ask again with real details.

SCAM.. copy part of the email into google and see what you get, it will be word for word on some of it!

just found this
http://www.sellmyweddingdress.co.uk/other/tips.html

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Yes - run away!

I would list through i-do-gowns or ebay if it were me as there is more protection for you.

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Chicken don't do it!!!

We almost got scammed last year when i was selling my impreza! Same thing kept asking me to set up a pay pal account etc etc and that it was easy to do bla bla bla, i got an email from Pay pal telling me they were scam artists!!! And there English is that bad thats enough for me to realise they arnt in it for the right reasons, so awful too its a Wedding dress with lots of memories, grrrr peo like that make me angry. I'm glad you checked with everyone Hun, ask them their pay pal details so you can report them! I hope someone legit purchases your beautifal gown xx

Autumn2010
Tiger Princess
Tiger Princess
Topic Author

Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm

Last edited by Autumn2010 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Autumn2010 wrote:
cin wrote:
I'm glad you checked with everyone Hun, ask them their pay pal details so you can report them!

I'm glad i have to - I needed the alarm bells to be confirmed. Thanks everyone.
I wonder if they would send me their pay pal details :twisted:

Let us know how you go Hun xx

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I've had the same thing selling my dress!!! So I've done some reading and there is a PayPal scam going around...I do a bit confused by how it works, I think it was that its a non-genuine version of PayPal or something.

Mine was a bit different. They sent me a cheque (I gave them my work address, I figured you could find me by googling my info that way, so it was already public information). They cheque was clearly a fake, and for about three times as much as I was asking for the dress. Never heard anything more from them. I'm assuming that I was meant to get it touch with them and refund them the difference before trying to cash the cheque...seriously, how dumb would you have to be!!

deemon_16

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Please don't do it!! Sounds very much like what happened to us when selling a dirt bike last year. Same type of email - they were in a rush, couldn't get to interent connection very often blah blah blah. They wanted to know our postcode so that they could arrange a quote for shipping and obviously our paypal details. We had no money in the paypal account as we opened a new one as we thought it sounded little suspicious. Little did we know that all you need to know to hack a paypal account and be able to change your password is the email address of the account (which was obviously the one we were using to contact this scammer) and 'if you can't remember your password' all you need to do is put in your postcode.

These scammers know what they are doing. We were lucky that we realised our paypal account had been hacked and rang our bank straight away. There had been some dodgy things happening to the bank account they said but they didn't process them.

Our tip: If it sounds dodgy - chances are it is!!

I've had very good dealings with PayPal but I am also concerned with the ease that you can hack into someones account. Be warned!! We were NEARLY stung :oops:

Bride2Be111

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

That is weird - I just tried to hack my H2Be pay pal account & they asked you to put in the email and then a code & this is the message I received - From Pay Pal - They didn't ask for a post code?

We just sent you an email at Blah Blah Blah @hotmail.com. Click the link in the email to create a new password.
Didn't receive our email?

* Check your email account's junk or spam folder.
* We can .
* If you still can't access your email account, we can try to confirm your account ownership .

~abstar~
Formerly known as Abbie_2010
Formerly known as Abbie_2010

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:06 pm

My dad almost got stung with a scam like this!

He was selling something on ebay and had someone "buy it now" and then 2 days later they said money was sent via paypal and they paid too much and can he withdraw the extra $1000 and pay the shipping company (that this buyer had lined up to pick up the item) and then he got 3 emails from "ebay" saying he must post the item straight away or his account will be suspended. Luckily dad is smart and figured it was a scam, it wouldn't surprise me if you give details and then they say they paid you too much and try to suck you in that way!

I wouldn't bother touching it!

deemon_16

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Bride2Be111 wrote:
That is weird - I just tried to hack my H2Be pay pal account & they asked you to put in the email and then a code & this is the message I received - From Pay Pal - They didn't ask for a post code?

We just sent you an email at Blah Blah Blah @hotmail.com. Click the link in the email to create a new password.
Didn't receive our email?

* Check your email account's junk or spam folder.
* We can .
* If you still can't access your email account, we can try to confirm your account ownership .

From memory I think it was a roundabout way - it was something like if you can't remember which email address you created the account with or something like that - sorry to sound vague!I think it may be in the part that says we can try to confirm your account ownership???? I know I spent a long time on the phone to pay pal and an email as well to tell them how disappointed I was that it was so easy. Maybe they've updated their system in the last 6 months? I've only had positive dealings with PayPal in the last 6 months :)

The DJ
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:00 pm

The issue is generally that the account they are making payment with on paypal is not their own account.

So you will get the money, but the actual owner of the account will make a claim with paypal when they realise that money is missing and paypal end up taking the money back. This is even worse if they overpay you (like some do) and request that you use some of your own money to pay for postage/shipping (try paying for the shipping of a car overseas like some request) or that you refund them in another manner (eg money order). Not only do you lose the item you were selling, but you are also out of pocket for the additional funds.

You should also try and avoid selling anything using paypal if the item is being picked up. The problem with that is there is often little proof that the person who bought the item actually received it (unlike if you mail the item via registered post). Some times people will pay for the item, pick it up, then make a claim through paypal straight away saying that they never received it.

Paypal is great if you are a buyer, but not very good if you are selling.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.49