A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Gracie00
Topic Author

Is this a tacky idea for Bonbonniere?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 pm

A scratchie in a small white envelope?

A scratchie is lotto scratch and win ticket...so you scratch the area and see if you're a winner. It suits the vibe of most of our guests but wondering if it could potentailly appear tacky.

It's in a cute white envelope with a lovely note saying "thank you for sharing our special day with us" it will also be teamed with mini chocs or sweets.

Apparantley it's a good conversation starter for guests that don't know one another.

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Re: Is this a tacky idea for Bonbonniere?

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:25 pm

I dont want to offend but hmmm depends how much the scatchie is worth.. if it was a $1 then if I received one I would think it's a bit cheap.. just IMHO :D

naomi_j86
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:16 pm

I don't think it's tacky, I did consider doing it.

If you were to do it, check out the scratchies up to a month before your wedding as new ones are released all the time and sometimes (like at the moment in NSW), there are love heart ones, or perhaps in a colour that will suit your table better.

You might also be able to think up a cute saying with something along the lines of "We've been lucky in love, we hope we pass some of our luck to you".
Or perhaps something about being winners? ("We are winners and found each other, we hope you can be a winner too")

~Naomi.
Last edited by naomi_j86 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keluc1
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

I really like it! Especially with a cute text like Gracie suggested. I think bonbonniere that you don't have to keep are always good, coz lets face, there isn't much that you can get for a few dollars that is really very useful. So I'm a big fan of edible/useable and disposable gifts. Cupcakes, scratchies, plants (althought I would kill it) I think are all better than shot glasses or things like that that you have to keep and you just add to the junk pile.

And i have to say I wouldn't care if it was a $1 scratchie...as a guest I have already been bought dinner and drinks, I think thats enough!

And with a big wedding, there should be some winners somewhere in the room, so thats really cool!

SwediesPie
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I think it is an awesome idea - especially with the little verse. I wish we hadnt already bought ours!!

feb2011wedding
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:03 pm

at first I thought it was tacky, but the idea of putting a little thing about luck is cute, and now that I think about how many of your guests would probably win a couple of dollars that would definately be a talking point among guests!

englyn

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm

I wouldn't like it, as a guest, it's not at all to my taste. But you can't please everybody. And I'm not a huge fan of doing bonbonniere at all.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

I wouldn't mind a scatchie at a wedding! As someone else said, better than a shot glass or candle holder that I wonder where on earth I am going to put in my house! :lol:

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Initially, yes I thought it was tacky.

But if it were wrapped/presented nicely wiht a little note about luck as you mentioned then it might be really nice!

I personally wouldn't do it for my guests but you know yours better than we do :D

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 pm

I don't think it's tacky. My friend did this and her and her DH met when they worked together at a newsagent. The scratchie was a $1 scratchie in a box with some sugared almonds. I think it was really cool

Karza156
♥ Happily ever after ♥
♥ Happily ever after ♥

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:58 pm

I think it's a really nice idea if you put the scatchie with a little note and maybe a nice chocolate (or something similar). Personally I would really like getting that if I was a guest at a wedding :D

Gracie00
Topic Author

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Awesome...thanks guys.

This is making me feel so much better about it. Thank you for your cute verse suggestion, I like it very much :)

sweeti3
Mrs Bailey
Mrs Bailey

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 am

Yea I like it. I love scratchies but I never buy them for myself.

timzo

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:47 am

It can be a nice idea provided that you manage to somehow make it a bit personal or make it related to some personal concept. Just handing out something which doesn't have any personal saying is not something I would like to give or to receive.

jaynage
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:37 am

I'm not really a fan of the idea. To me, it smacks a little of an afterthought.

trixee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:29 pm

If it was *just* a scartchie, then yeah, a little tacky, but if you included a poem and some chocolates, or something else to personalise it, then I think it would be OK.

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I think it is a really good idea - would definitely get people talking and how cool would it be if someone got a reasonable win (which if you buy a heap in a row, is more likely to happen!)

Might actually file this idea away. I do like the cute verse that Grace thought up. Go for it I say - it's different and a little quirky and I think with a little chocolate or Hershey Kiss or something with it, would be cute.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.22