A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥

Re: Father's permission

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Fh asked my parents for their blessing as he was going to do it either way!! He told Dad that too! Dad said what if i say no, FH said well i am going to marry her regardless but i would love your blessing.

We had only been together 5 months so it was pretty scary for him! But they both agreed that they had never seen me happier so they would love for him to be a part of our family!

lexyles
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:05 pm

:D
Last edited by lexyles on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Glad I'm not the only one in favour for the permission boat :)

Thanks for all your replies, ladies :)

sweeti3
Mrs Bailey
Mrs Bailey

Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:27 pm

FH asked my Dad for his blessing. He phoned because we were away on our romantic getaway nad did it literally an hour before he proposed (I think he was leaving it till as late as possible because he is still a bit scared of my Dad since we got together when we were so young). We have 2 kids and have been living together for 5 years so it wasn't necessary but I think it was really special and I know my Dad appreciated it. His response was "you had my blessing years ago" but then also threw in "what would you have done if I said no" to which FH replied "I probably would have done it anyway."

FH said he was also goign to call my Nanna because she was a big part of my life and came to live with us for about 5 years after my Mum died. But he said he was so nervous talking to Dad he forgot to get her number and then after he hung up he didn't want to call back, lol.

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:02 pm

my FH asked for my Dads permission while I was on a weekend with the girls in Melbourne. The girls I was with knew he was going to ask. They were pretty good hiding it from me.

KiwiMelH
Little Miss Mouse
Little Miss Mouse

Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 pm

My FH asked my Dad's permission as that is what i have wanted. My parents are separated and I am really close to my Mum. however it doesn;t mean that I love my dad any less. So this was our way of making my Dad feel included. My Dad was so happy for us both and couldnt stop saying "too much!" (kiwi slang for awesome) .

My brother however thought it was "something from the stone ages" :lol: :lol:

Bonni_Binx
Mrs Ranga
Mrs Ranga

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 pm

My FH asked my dad by phone as he lives in the UK and asked my Step Dad in person as he live here.

It was a sweet gesture and of course both gave their blessings.

About 20 people (inc family and friends) knew that FH was going to propose and not one said a word... although I had figured it out when he sent me flowers at work that day for no reason and insisted on going out for dinner that night even though we had plans for dinner a couple of days later.

Should_of_eloped
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:20 pm

I was pretty disappointed my hb didn't ask my dad first. He proposed overseas so I got him to call my dad and ask for his blessing and we then called up the following day to tell them the news! It was a bit sneaky but it made my Dad's day :D

nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 pm

If FH had asked my dad for his permission, I would've said No to FH.

My father gave up any right when he walked out the door several years ago (ie. it was either leave my mother or hang himself in the garage with a note pinned to him...and he wanted me to be the one who found him as "you would've understood, Cara" Pathetic excuse of a man)

I asked him to walk me down, but now I don't even want that. I love him, but all in all, he's an idiot.

skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:33 am

My dad died when I was 15, so I would have liked OH to ask my dad first, but not possible as they never met. He had mentioned it to my mum months beforehand, but more in passing than actual asking permission. He actually proposed, then 15mins later asked my mum if it was ok. We were staying at the same place & and due to timings & stress on his part, asked me before properly asking my mum. We had gone out for 8yrs, so although asking my mums permission would have been nice, I really dont mind. In the long run, he FINALLY asked, so thats all I'm worried about.

Ayla01
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 am

Our engagement was pretty spontaneous so there was no time for the asking....my dad was a bit dissapointed by that but he understood. he makes jokes on occasion about it not being official as he was never asked though :o

riz123

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 am

I would have hated my FH to have asked my Dad. I love my Dad, but it's really not his business who I marry or when. I don't feel that I need anyone else's permission to get engaged and I also hate the thought of my Dad knowing about it before me!

Just out of interest, what happens if the Dad says no? Is the boyfriend then not supposed to propose? Or, what happens if the Dad says yes, but the the girl says no to the proposal?

Should_of_eloped
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:57 am

From my prospective asking the Father/mother/family's for their blessing is a sign of respect and thats because of the close relationship I have with them. If I wasn't close to them I wouldn't care. I think father's (in paritcular) like to be asked as its the same rite of passage they went through.

riz123 wrote:
Just out of interest, what happens if the Dad says no? Is the boyfriend then not supposed to propose? Or, what happens if the Dad says yes, but the the girl says no to the proposal?

In some cultures the father/family's say is the be all and end all, but I'd imagine most people would respond however they liked (despite what the Dad's answer is).

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title

Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:28 pm

My husband spoke to my dad before he asked me and it is was a thoughtful gesture. One that I love him for doing and something small that I know my dad appreciated. It wasnt about asking "permission" but more respect in my opinion. (A bit of background - we have been together nearly 5 years and brought our home together after barely 2 years, so it wasnt a matter of yes or no).
It was actually funny as the morning he went to ask my dad ( who lives 40mins away) he told me he was running errands and would be a few hours. I didnt think anything of it but rang my mum that morning as FH wasnt home and I was cranky with him that he wasnt returning my calls. All while he was outside talking with my dad. Lol
GZIP: On | Load: 0.44