A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Is order of service just for a church?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 am

I'm getting married in a deconsecratd chapel with a celebrant. I might have 1-2 readings by friends, but otherwise a fairly simple, quick service. Do I need an order or service? What does it usually include?

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Re: Is order of service just for a church?

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am

No, they aren't just for church weddings, a lot of girls have them even for garden/beach weddings.

We didn't have them at all, and they certainly weren't missed :lol:

cin
Devine Vintage Bride
Devine Vintage Bride

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am

Its completely up to you Hun, i haven't been to a wedding without one though :)

This includes, both parents names, bridal party names, readers names, your vows, celebrants readings etc etc.

Here is an example from another WC post i think :)

Page 1 - Welcome to the wedding of etc
Page 2 - Wedding Participants and their roles
Page 3 - Order of Service and I have left this to be one line each eg. Entrance of Bride, Introduction, Celebrant's Authority
Page 4 - The words to "Ave Maria", the song I'm walking down the aisle to
Page 5 - The words to our reading
Page 6 - The words to our "hand blessing"
Page 7 - Thanks

Bride Bec
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am

You don't need to but we had an OOS fan at our ceremony which was conducted by a celebrant. The first "page" of the fan was a welcome, the second was order of events - ceremony, signing, photographs, canapes & reception, it was more a timeline so people knew what was happening, the third page was a list of our attendants and the last was a thank you. They doubled as a fan as we got married in late November. Most of our guests commented how lovely and practical they were and knew what has happening during the break between ceremony & reception.

*Riss*
Happiness Forever
Happiness Forever

Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:36 am

It's totally up to you what you want!! We had a civil ceremony in a chapel and we still had them done. Everyone loved them as they were very personal. I didn't include all the wording just the main parts :D

Sariele

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:23 pm

cin wrote:
Its completely up to you Hun, i haven't been to a wedding without one though :)

Really?? I haven't been to many weddings, but less people had them than those who didn't..

I think they're a nice touch, but quite potentially a waste of time and money. At the couple of weddings I've been to where they did have them, they got left behind on seats/screwed up in handbags/in the bin.

I doubt I'll be having them.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

I would say only 50% of the weddings I have been to lately have them.

I might do one, but I might not - probably only if I can get one for free with Vistaprint!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Out of the 6 weddings we have been to in the last 2 years, three had a brief OOS and three had nothing. All were garden weddings bar one, which was in a church.

We chose not to have them ourselves as we wanted to give our guests fans for the ceremony and felt that it would be too arkward to have them trying to hold both. I know you can get fan OOS, but they didn't suit our wedding. So in the end, it's totally up to you.

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:01 pm

We're having a civil ceremony and having an OOS - it's not necessary, but I like
knowing what's going on, and I also like having the readings.

Civil ceremonies don't have them as often, it's up to you whether you can spare the time and money :)

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm

I think if you are having a fairly straight forward event then it may not be necessary. If you need to convey any messages to your guests, about what to do/where to go next, then they may be handy.

We will be having our ceremoney and reception at one place and will have our wedding coordinator with us for the entire time so we don't feel it is necessary for us.

skye_mck
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks everyone. I think I'll have one if we can sort out the vowes & get them printed before the day.

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:32 am

We're not having them and to be honest I think they can detract from the moment. I always like "being in the moment" and watching the bride and groom - particularly during the vows. The weddings where they have them, most people are reading along with the vows and various readings, etc, head down in the OOS and not really experiencing the moment (if you know what I mean).

It's like (and I always laugh when I see this) when people are so busy trying to capture the perfect photo for their memories that they actually miss the real-life experience!

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Scarlett wrote:
It's like (and I always laugh when I see this) when people are so busy trying to capture the perfect photo for their memories that they actually miss the real-life experience!

This too makes me laugh :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.24