A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Shhh....it's a secret

Fri May 06, 2011 5:19 pm

I bought my wedding jewellery from secrets. As I wanted diamonds, but without the hefty price tag. I'm really happy with the quality, and to my eye looks better than my e-ring. I wish I had known when FH was looking at rings! We could have saved a packet!

I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on their jewellery? Like/dislike?

April14

Re: Shhh....it's a secret

Fri May 06, 2011 5:39 pm

I think they're a great idea! No one is going to know unless they're looking at it under a microscope.
And at least you know they're ethical!

nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥

Fri May 06, 2011 5:56 pm

Oh my gods I want one of them!!

I never got a proper ring - I made FH buy me a $20 ring from a store at the Sydney Airport and now the silver PLATING is making my skin blue :evil:

I want one of these!!! haha

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Fri May 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Everyone's got their reasons for getting or not getting a diamond e-ring or wedder.

My brother's fiance for her e-ring from Secrets and doesn't regret it one bit. It's a beautiful ring. The stone is MASSIVE and sometimes gives me ring envy just on size. It makes my diamond engagement ring look like a pebble!

She told me that she didn't see the reason for spending thousands of dollars on a ring and that it would be better to put that extra money away towards their future. That's a great reason! FH and I decided to get a real diamond e-ring with a high colour and clarity because we saw the ring as something that could be passed on.

I absolutely LOVE my ring! I can't stop looking at it. It sparkles brightly pretty much all the time. And, as much as it would've been nice to save the money, I didn't want to regret not getting a good quality diamond later on.

Rings are very personal though. You gotta think what you want for yourself.

As for the sparkle, it is a bit hard to pick out the CZ from the true diamond. But one jeweller told me that when you move a diamond from side-to-side, the light bounces around almost everywhere, whereas with a CZ stone, the light goes from side-to-side only. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong... Sorry if I am.)

On the other hand, a CZ ring from Secrets is very well made and designed really well that it is very hard to tell otherwise.

polkadotprincess
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri May 06, 2011 6:15 pm

dislike. i have a necklace from shhh given to me as a gift. i can clearly see the difference between this and my engagement ring. i really dont like the fact that they pretend they are simulated diamonds, when really, they are overpriced cubics

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 pm

I went into their new store in Sydney's Pitt St Westfields, and I must say, I was quite surprised at how realistic they looked. I had my ring up against them, and there definitely wasn't the "glassy" look most CZs have. I am pretty good at picking real and fake, and I was challenged.

That being said, I think going and buying a 3-4 carat fake ring, you can clearly tell it is fake. Your *average* person (I use this term very loosely and with no intention to offend anyone) cannot afford a decent diamond that size. You are going to have to compromise on clarity or colour somewhere along the line.

They have a few cute pieces, but I thought the gold they were set in wasn't very nice. The colour of yellow gold just looked off a bit, and honestly, if I was getting a CZ in white gold, I would set it in silver.

All in all, I am glad I have a *real* diamond in my engagement ring, but if I was on a tight budget, I think the secrets stones would be an awesome alternative!

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Sat May 07, 2011 1:05 am

I do agree with you cloudie. How many people can honestly afford a massive diamond ring? Not many. So from that apect you would start thinking it was a fake.

I have pair of diamond studs from secrets, that are .50carat each. They are same size as my e-ring. And the quality of the diamond to stone looks good. My earrings to need to be cleaned, so they do look a little cloudy. But once they are clean they sparkle like crazy! That's what convinced my to purchase my wedding jewellery from there.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sat May 07, 2011 5:49 pm

My mum has ring with a large solitaire she bought about 8 or 9 years ago. Sadly it hasn't faired well at all.

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Sat May 07, 2011 5:53 pm

I didn't think that the prices were that much cheaper than real diamonds, I would have to see them in person to see whether the saving was worthwhile.

I'm glad I have a diamond, it is the only diamond that I am ever likely to get to wear so that extra few hundred dollars was worth it to me, and I feel special with a real diamond on my finger, even if it is only a little 1/2 a carat one :)

missabhv312

Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm

My engagement ring is real diamond- and is amazing. I'm very lucky that my fiancé had planned it for many years and subsequently had a surprisingly big budget for it.

That said, my wedding earrings/ bracelet and bm earrings are all from shhh. In my mind its basically really good quality costume jewelry. I like that the gold (both yellow and white) is real- and no- it is exactly the same color as that bought at jewelers- except perhaps the 'gold' used at cheapo franchise jewellers... Also- shhhh often set in 10carat and 14 carat which, if you're used to 9 may look slightly different...

aaaaanyway- I also like that the stone is NOT cz. Chemically speaking, it has none of the properties of a cz- which is why it doesn't look like it. Shhhhh secrets stones are man made diamonds. There is actually no chemical difference to 'real diamonds' the only difference is that it's made not found.

Hope this helps explain the situation a little more- basically- they're diamonds- jut not naturally found- and the gold is perfectly real- if not a better quality than most. You can wear the pieces everyday forever- they won't wear or tear!

Given the 'real' understanding- I think it's a very sensible idea to save the $$$ and get jewellery from there!

I would say that personally- I greatly dislike enormous stones (man made or found)- anything around the 3- 4 carat mark (or bigger!) is tacky. I work at a prestigious school and some of the mums have massssssive rings- I know there real- but they're hideous!!

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Sun May 08, 2011 12:26 pm

My real diamond ring was cheaper than the shh rings... I have 3 half carat stones and the shh version most similar to mine is almost double what FH paid.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sun May 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I have a genuine diamond e-ring. I would probably buy earrings from Shhh... but not my wedding bands as I simply prefer real diamonds for significant and sentimental pieces.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sun May 08, 2011 3:11 pm

I find it hard to believe that a sshhh diamond would be more expensive than a good quality diamond ring?

cabaret
I need a title
I need a title

Sun May 08, 2011 9:17 pm

BubS wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a sshhh diamond would be more expensive than a good quality diamond ring?

Well, this is my ring:

18ct white gold with three .5ct diamonds - $190 from Zamels(I found the reciept)

The closest in style on the shh website
http://www.secrets-shhh.com/rings/3-stones/rs22034w
14ct white gold with three .5ct simulated diamonds - $330

Summer_bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 09, 2011 1:49 pm

Real for me!

PTJane

Mon May 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Supply and demand for consumers... (regardless of the product). Something is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it after all. If brides suddenly turn around and prefer for example sapphires instead of diamonds, no doubt there will be a shift in the supply and demand with the prices.

tarwon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 pm

cabaret wrote:
BubS wrote:

Well, this is my ring:

18ct white gold with three .5ct diamonds - $190 from Zamels(I found the reciept)

I'm pretty sure 0.5 carat is total diamond weight, not the weight of each diamond. A half carat diamond is about 4-5mm squared I think. Although I'm not a diamond expert so I could be very wrong :lol:

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 09, 2011 8:02 pm

tarwon wrote:
cabaret wrote:
BubS wrote:

Well, this is my ring:

I'm pretty sure 0.5 carat is total diamond weight, not the weight of each diamond. A half carat diamond is about 4-5mm squared I think. Although I'm not a diamond expert so I could be very wrong :lol:

This is 0.75C
E ring.JPG

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Mon May 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Yep, I think so too, my diamond is a single princess cut 1/2 carat and it is definately bigger than those ones. I think that it must have been for the combined weight.

It still sounds like he got a bargain at $190 though - he should have bought you 2 :lol:

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Mon May 09, 2011 9:20 pm

Tracylacy wrote:

It still sounds like he got a bargain at $190 though - he should have bought you 2 :lol:

Yeah, woah! 8O Mine is "only" a solitaire .5ct diamond and cost FH $3000...
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35