A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Re: Shhh....it's a secret

Mon May 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Yep same with mine, well the main diamond was 1/2 carat with another 1/2 carat of smaller diamonds down the band. I shudder to think how much it would have cost. He won't tell me. But we've got it the insurance just to be safe.

I'm having fun looking at everyones e-rings!! Is there a thread here for showing them off? If not post them here. I love looking at beautiful rings!!

marbonky
Fusion Bride
Fusion Bride

Mon May 09, 2011 10:54 pm

MissA wrote:
I'm having fun looking at everyones e-rings!! Is there a thread here for showing them off? If not post them here. I love looking at beautiful rings!!

Me too.... Found this thread http://forum.weddingcentral.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=98643&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Summer_bride
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue May 10, 2011 4:27 pm

[quote="MissA"]Yep same with mine, well the main diamond was 1/2 carat with another 1/2 carat of smaller diamonds down the band. I shudder to think how much it would have cost. He won't tell me. But we've got it the insurance just to be safe.

This sounds similar to my wedder! Its gorgeous..

Yep agree with the girls your diamonds though gorgeous are not .5 carat

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Wed May 11, 2011 11:57 am

I personally wouldn't get a fake/man-made diamond. It just seems pointless to me. I would go for something cheaper like a sapphire or something. You can get them in a huge range of colours.

I would highly recommend buying a ring from overseas for those who are on a budget (and even those who aren't). You can get HUGE savings and much better quality stones, settings and gold than you would from local chain stores. I'm talking about a 50-70% saving. Happy to help anyone who's interested.

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I wouldn't get one either for my e-ring, but for other jewellery, hells yeah!

xoxbubxox
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 11, 2011 12:28 pm

I really don't like the discussion over wheather or not people would have a man-made, CZ or diamond ring as their engagement ring- which I don't think was the OP but is where this has gone to.

To me my ring is about the commitment that FH and I have made to each other to spend the rest of our lives together. I am very lucky to be given the ring I have but I would have said yes regardless if the ring was a diamond or not. Maybe at the time the couple are ready to make the commitment to each other buying a ring worth $0000's it's a priority.

Its also interesting to look at where the tradition of giving a diamond engagement ring started. And it was a royal who started it. Diamonds were still expensive but once they were found in South Africa they were mined for cheaper, using slave labour, in 1870. This made the price a lot cheaper and meant they were more accessable to the masses.

I'm not meaning to have a go or upset anyone. I just like the idea that a ring means more about the stone attached to it.

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 pm

xoxbubxox wrote:
I really don't like the discussion over wheather or not people would have a man-made, CZ or diamond ring as their engagement ring- which I don't think was the OP but is where this has gone to.

To me my ring is about the commitment that FH and I have made to each other to spend the rest of our lives together. I am very lucky to be given the ring I have but I would have said yes regardless if the ring was a diamond or not. Maybe at the time the couple are ready to make the commitment to each other buying a ring worth $0000's it's a priority.

Its also interesting to look at where the tradition of giving a diamond engagement ring started. And it was a royal who started it. Diamonds were still expensive but once they were found in South Africa they were mined for cheaper, using slave labour, in 1870. This made the price a lot cheaper and meant they were more accessable to the masses.

I'm not meaning to have a go or upset anyone. I just like the idea that a ring means more about the stone attached to it.

Agreed!!

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Wed May 11, 2011 12:39 pm

I get that it has sentimental significance attached to it but to me, it's also like any other large purchase that I or DH make. I would want to get the best value for money that we can. In this case, to me, it involves having a "real" diamond (because although they don't really maintain resell value unless they're exceptional in some way, a CZ or similar is in monetary terms, worth not much at all) and finding a happy medium with size, quality and price but shopping around. I'm quite happy with that decision and the 6k we saved in the process.

Example using Shh Secrets and where DH got my e-ring from:
0.5ct princess cut solataire (presumably 9 karat band) from Shh secrets = $510

0.5ct princess cut diamond solataire (excellent cut, E colour, VS2) on 18 karat gold band = $1060

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Wed May 11, 2011 9:42 pm

FH could have given me a plastic ring and I would have been happy - but I still feel special knowing that I have a real diamond on my finger :heart:

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Thu May 12, 2011 8:42 am

Cimbom wrote:
0.5ct princess cut diamond solataire (excellent cut, E colour, VS2) on 18 karat gold band = $1060

Can I ask out of curiosity where this ring is from?

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 am

I had a look at their jewellery the other day as I was considering purchasing wedding earrings from them. They cost $250 just for a simple pair of drop earrings. I couldn't justify it as they looked exactly like a $40 pair off ebay.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Thu May 12, 2011 1:32 pm

I wish Secrets was around when I got married 4 years ago (they didn't have one near me at that time) because I would have very much considered getting one from there - DH and I also said he may get me one for our 5 year anniversery next year if I wanted to.

When we got engaged, we got the ring that we could afford at the time. Its a really lovely ring, about 1/4 of a carat, but I got it from a large retail store and I can see some small flaws with it. It doesn't help that DH's cousin proposed to his fiance only a year later and bought the EXACT same ring from the same store :roll: tarnished it a bit for me (and yet they claimed that it ruined their moment - even though we bought our ring first?).

I think they are absolutely gorgeous rings in Secrets and I really don't think anybody would be able to tell the difference - and they need not know. It's all about the couple's budget, what kind of ring they see as being their "dream" ring to go with that budget. I think some of the HUGE stones are a little tacky, and don't look as real, but certainly alot of their rings are gorgeously cut and I would feel very lucky to get something from there. I got my wedding earrings from there also.

But, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I would prefer to spend the money saved on a large real diamond on a deposit on a house or something similar. But it is all about priorities.

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 1:56 pm

Totally agree. It all comes down to the couple and what they prefer and what they can afford. I would personally rather have a ring from secrets and then used that saved money towards a house deposit. The ring isn't important for me, while having a roof over my is.

We're still trying to save for a house. I can't help but feel if we had gotten perhaps a cheaper ring we could be just that little bit closer...

No ring or piece jewellery should never put you into debt. If you need to get out a loan for an engagment ring (some people I have known have done this) I just couldn't and wouldn't do it.

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Thu May 12, 2011 3:40 pm

I agree.. We all understand that everyone is in a different financial position.

FH and I have been together since we were 16 and when we first got together he started a ring fund. He put whatever left over cash into that account, so that he could buy me the diamond ring of my dreams. He believed that an engagement ring is the most important piece of jewellery a girl will have. With this in mind I did have to wait 9 years in the end :lol:

But if it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, then go for it. :D
Last edited by missEbali on Thu May 12, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xoxbubxox
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm

I agree and I know people who have bought the ring of their dreams but used man made diamonds and once they have got the house and are in a better financial situation they are going to replace the diamonds with new ones. Her FH said maybe even for the 1st, 5th and 10th wedding anniversery.

tarwon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Tracylacy wrote:
FH could have given me a plastic ring and I would have been happy - but I still feel special knowing that I have a real diamond on my finger :heart:

I totally agree!

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Sun May 15, 2011 9:26 pm

My e-ring and wedder are real diamonds. I own a ring I purchased myself from Secrets in 2008 and it's still so sparkly. Everyone thinks it's real and I haven't said otherwise :wink: I think the fact that they come with a lifetime guarantee is amazing. If they loose their sparkle etc it gets replaced for free. And free cleaning for life too. You can't beat that for the price :D

So I say if you get a ring from Secrets, or if you don't get a ring from Secrets, who cares. Do what YOU want and don't worry about what other people may think or say :D

Mrs JJ 2 Be
J + R = ♥
J + R = ♥

Sun May 15, 2011 9:31 pm

SmallNads wrote:
So I say if you get a ring from Secrets, or if you don't get a ring from Secrets, who cares. Do what YOU want and don't worry about what other people may think or say :D

I agree :)

My Mum has a pair of earrings and bracelet from there and they are so sparkly!

Miss_ngu
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:44 pm

I think it's up to the couples' financial decision. At the end of the day, the ring is just a simple to show that you are committed and married. I wouldn't mind to buy from Shhh for a short time until can afford the real one. We are luckly that both of us working so we can afford what we can for my rings. However, for my earings and necklace for the wedding, I think I will get them from Shhh (and hopefully can get the real one a long time later on), and it's just personal preference I like the look of simple diamond, dont like too much of fashion/statement pieces.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35