A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Waiting waiting and more waiting...

Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

So as most of you know I got engaged a month or so ago (two months tomorrow, actually I think). But, we're only planning on getting married in 2013 (either in March, due to better weather, or Oct on Sat 12th which will be our 10 year anniversary! - cant decide yet) so I cant really start planning much yet.

I cant start until I've locked in a venue and most venues wont book so far in advance. I get told to come back next year, which is fair. And I cant properly decide colours until I lock in the venue (I do want Autumn colours though...)

Lol anyway, its not a vent, I'm not upset, just having a (albeit a little sad) giggle at the irony of waiting 7 years to be engaged and now having to wait another year before I can really start planning :P

But I am set on making my own bouquet (felt or brooch?! felt or brooch?!:P) so that can keep me busy til then :P

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Re: Waiting waiting and more waiting...

Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm

I hope it goes quickly for you :D I like the idea of getting married on your 10 year anniversary, that is sweet!

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Wed May 11, 2011 6:06 pm

It doesn't seem like it at the moment, but the time really will fly by and you will probably be relieved that you got to relish being engaged for longer.

Imagine how organised you will be by the time you can really start planning! It will be terrific!

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2011 6:09 pm

alwayz_shopping wrote:
I hope it goes quickly for you :D I like the idea of getting married on your 10 year anniversary, that is sweet!

Hehe the weather in Oct is questionable....so I'm not entirely sold on this idea, though the meaning of the date will mean more....what to dooooo!!!

kristal wrote:
It doesn't seem like it at the moment, but the time really will fly by and you will probably be relieved that you got to relish being engaged for longer.

Imagine how organised you will be by the time you can really start planning! It will be terrific!

Thing is, I'm having a simple wedding: 40 people or less, I already know what my colours will be, wedding favours, bouquet, bridesmaids, First Dance song etc. Not much left to plan lol!! I'm already too efficient (its the Virgo in me :P)

But yes, everyone keeps saying it'll go quickly ;) I just have to grin broadly and bear it! :D

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Wed May 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Congrats on getting engaged!! As others have said, the time will fly and you can never be too organised :D

Good luck!

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 1:28 am

carly87
The Button Lady
The Button Lady

Thu May 12, 2011 8:03 am

sorry you're not having much luck. though if you make a brooch bouquet, at least you've got so long to find the brooches. :lol:
you could always do felt and brooches. brooch flowers with the felt leaves? :D

Sharz
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 am

Thats so sweet getting married on your 10 year anniversary!

I know the feeling of having to wait (although not as long as you) as we got engaged on our 5 year anniversary and I discovered our 7 year anniversary falls on a saturday so that became our date. Therefore having to wait 2 years.

Everyone said it would go fast, but it went pretty slow, at the 1 year mark I was wishing I just made it that year instead.
But I am glad for all the time to plan and not have to rush. With a month to go the time started going very fast.

Most venues, photographer and makeup artist let me book 16months in advance, but it was florists, cars and cakes that said come back with 6-12 months to go. So I had all the big things down real early and the waiting was a bit annoying for the little things.

Congratulations on your engagement!

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am

Time will fly by...I recall at a friends wedding in 2007 saying that I would love to get married on our anniversary, which happened to fall on a saturday in 2011 & thinking that was so far away. Here we are in 2011 & although I didn't get married on my anniversary (april 30th), I'm planning my wedding for October & that day isn't to far back in my memory.

The best thing with having the time is you can have a good look around at everything find suppliers that you want to work with.

Though i am surprised that they don't want to talk with you, I found that 2 years out, some photographers & venues were still fully booked - Bretts Wharf here in Brisbane had no saturday nights left for 2011 when i started looking at venues in March of 2010 & not all that many left for 2012, However if i was booking for 2013, i could have my pick of dates.

Do however see if you can get a menu & price listing for recpetion venues, yes they are going to change, but the menus seem to stay similar each year . Also, if I couldn't afford that much per head now, there was no way i could afford it in 18 months time, with one or two price rises in there..

PTJane

Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 am

Oh that's a tough one, about the booking the venues bit. I will be getting married around 2013 so I'm happy to wait until I have locked in a date before I can start planning anything. My ideas are in my head at the moment so I can keep on dreaming about my perfect wedding.

KiwiMelH
Little Miss Mouse
Little Miss Mouse

Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am

Oohhh....

Ok for me we got engaged in september 2010 I originally planned to get married in november 2012. My partner told me that he couldnt wait that long. SO we brought it up to March 2012 and its going torturously slow. I am also a virgo so I have about half paid and almost everything organised and by November this year I should have everything paid for and done (but only cause Im like that)

If our families could afford it sooner (we are having a destination wedding) we would have had it this november.

They say that it goes really fast and it probably will closer to the date but right now its dragging and if I had of kept it at November I think it would have killed me. But its all personal opnions so go with your gut!

KiwiMelH
Little Miss Mouse
Little Miss Mouse

Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 am

Oh another thing (just wondering if its a virgo trait as i am one as well). Does it make you really nervous that you haven't got stuff locked in even though your ready to go? It does for me, hence why everything is already organised. I like to get this booked and sorted so far in advance ahah

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Thu May 12, 2011 11:20 am

We were engaged in August 2010 and the wedding is in May 2012. So a 1 year 9 month engagement. Don't lock stuff in too soon if you can avoid it. Obviously things like the date, venue and reception can be but for things like Dresses, flowers, jewellry allow yourself time to change your mind :D

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 pm

carly87 wrote:
you could always do felt and brooches. brooch flowers with the felt leaves? :D

Thats actually a great idea! I'll try it out and see how it looks, thanks!

Sharz wrote:
Everyone said it would go fast, but it went pretty slow, at the 1 year mark I was wishing I just made it that year instead.
But I am glad for all the time to plan and not have to rush. With a month to go the time started going very fast.

Aha! Someone who is speaking from my side of the waiting hehe (most people who say it'll fly by had a less lengthy engagement hehe so how much can you really trust them? jks!)

KCupcake21 wrote:
Though i am surprised that they don't want to talk with you, I found that 2 years out, some photographers & venues were still fully booked - Bretts Wharf here in Brisbane had no saturday nights left for 2011 when i started looking at venues in March of 2010 & not all that many left for 2012, However if i was booking for 2013, i could have my pick of dates.

Do however see if you can get a menu & price listing for recpetion venues, yes they are going to change, but the menus seem to stay similar each year . Also, if I couldn't afford that much per head now, there was no way i could afford it in 18 months time, with one or two price rises in there..

No its not that they wont talk to me, it just feels pointless at this point in time to look, because I'm always of the mind that I might find something better, or that if I find something and I cant book it (having to wait until next yr or something) then it'll bug me more haha

PTJane wrote:
Oh that's a tough one, about the booking the venues bit. I will be getting married around 2013 so I'm happy to wait until I have locked in a date before I can start planning anything. My ideas are in my head at the moment so I can keep on dreaming about my perfect wedding.

I'm so over dreaming haha I just wanna start planning now :P

melmaretihenry wrote:
Oh another thing (just wondering if its a virgo trait as i am one as well). Does it make you really nervous that you haven't got stuff locked in even though your ready to go? It does for me, hence why everything is already organised. I like to get this booked and sorted so far in advance ahah

Doesnt make me nervous, but it does annoy me a little bit :P I like to have things planned and sorted and waiting just bugs me :P I'm a little impatient, I guess haha.

L.I.W wrote:
We were engaged in August 2010 and the wedding is in May 2012. So a 1 year 9 month engagement. Don't lock stuff in too soon if you can avoid it. Obviously things like the date, venue and reception can be but for things like Dresses, flowers, jewellry allow yourself time to change your mind :D

Yup, only doing the dress thing no sooner than a year in advance (give me time to look around, save money etc) :)

Thanks guys, chatting about it does help!

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 pm

We had a 23 month wait between our engagement and wedding, so I know the feeling! The first year I mostly did LOTS of looking, sussing out what was out there and so on. In the second year, I actually booked the majority of things and made my final decisions, so it wasn't too bad. I actually booked my venue, photographer and transport at about 22 months out, but waited a while before we booked the rest.

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 6:43 pm

The photographer will be the most difficult thing for me to book :( I want great quality, but its difficult to justify spending the same amount as (for eg) the venue on a photographer when one is only having 40 guests lol sigh

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I know what you mean about having ages to wait - I always said that I didn't want to get engaged until could pretty much afford to get married, cause I didn't want to wait for ever to get married. I am already saying that I wish we had picked Nov instead of Feb - I'm ready to get going! At least I can book stuff - it would kill me if I knew what I wanted and couldn't do anything about it!

At least you can take plenty of time to soak up all the wedding info and ideas. I wish I had been more of a 'bride to be' before I got engaged - I was not really that fussed about getting married pre-engagement, I had no idea where to start.

Wand33
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Tracylacy wrote:
I know what you mean about having ages to wait - I always said that I didn't want to get engaged until could pretty much afford to get married, cause I didn't want to wait for ever to get married. I am already saying that I wish we had picked Nov instead of Feb - I'm ready to get going! At least I can book stuff - it would kill me if I knew what I wanted and couldn't do anything about it!

At least you can take plenty of time to soak up all the wedding info and ideas. I wish I had been more of a 'bride to be' before I got engaged - I was not really that fussed about getting married pre-engagement, I had no idea where to start.

I hear ya, but I dont feel much like a bride-to-be though cos there's no dress fittings, viewing venues, parties until we get closer to our date lol cant talk to friends about the wedding for almost 2 yrs... would drive them insane lol!

strawberry234
I'm a kiwi
I'm a kiwi

Sat May 28, 2011 9:16 pm

Congrats on getting engaged :D

My FH and I are in the same boat, we got engaged 2 months after our 7th anniversary, we were getting married at the end of this year, but finances didnt allow so we have decided on 10.11.12 so still a year and a half to go.

Mum has had a ball planning - she has done so much more than me - and has given us time to think properly about what we want as we are both picky about things (me and mum, no FH :lol: he doesn't care too much about the planning, just get his opinion every now and then)

Have changed plans so many times, but know that the decisions that are being made aren't rushed so that is a big plus, also gives time to find bargains etc

You should be safe to ask a venue to pencil you in, you don't necessarily need to book it until the year to go mark, but they can pencil it in. Or you can just allow 10% or so on the prices they are offering now and that should allow for you to budget and book later

Good luck and have fun planning!

strawberry234
I'm a kiwi
I'm a kiwi

Sat May 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Oh, and as I knew we were getting engaged (grandmothers ring, sitting in the cupboard waiting for 2 months for me to stop mentioning it :lol: and 7 years together) I had my ideal style dress picked out and brought it just before we got engaged as it was too cheap not to, so have been able to work around it since day one :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.53