A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

Balls
formerly known as JessieK
formerly known as JessieK
Topic Author

Engagement shoot - Did you?

Mon May 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I'm just wondering, who had an engagement shoot? Was it worth the extra money?
I'm wondering if maybe it's the way to go, in the way that we'd be abit more comfortable with our photographer on the day, maybe she would get better photos or something if we're more relaxed, have a better idea of what to expect.

For the photographers on here - Do you think having the engagement shoot makes for better photos? Do you find that the wedding day photos better, worse, or the same as everyone elses if they've had an engagement shoot?
Last edited by Balls on Tue May 17, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Engagment shoot - Did you?

Mon May 16, 2011 6:50 pm

We'll be having one. Was included in all our photographers' packages anyway so we were happy to.

Main reason was to help us feel a little more comfortable in front of the camera and get to see what does/does not look good on camera.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 16, 2011 7:32 pm

We had one. It was well worth having and helped us feel a lot more confident in front of the camera on the day.

Dandelion
Queen Of My Castle
Queen Of My Castle

Mon May 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Yes, and we loved it! Ours was included in our photographers package (and our videographer as well, we actually have an engagement video :lol: ). It was fantastic to have the chance to interact with them both before the wedding day, we got a really good idea of how they worked and we lost our shyness in front of the camera. Highly recommended!

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Mon May 16, 2011 8:56 pm

I agree with the other ladies. We had a pre-wedding shoot. It gave us a chance to develop a really good rapport with our photographer, become more comfortable in front of the camera and also allow the photographer to get more familiar with our better angles etc (or my tendency to blink when photos are taken). I think it made his job a lot easier on the day and made us feel more comfortable too. I highly recommend having one.

nutty2b
♥ Tartface ♥
♥ Tartface ♥

Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm

We "won" ours. So I decided to do it anyway. FH didnt want to but he is really glad he did.

I wasn't going to do one at all, but if we hadn't won it I would've gone to exclusive photography or something. It was a good opportunity to get to know what smile works, what doesn't and what pose is comfortable for us and we it made us more confident in the photographer.

Most of the girls already summed it up pretty well anyway! Do it I say!

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥

Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Not as such, but our photog is a good friend and she has said she will do a shoot of us and the kids before the wedding so they can get to know her and how we all photograoh.

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Mon May 16, 2011 10:28 pm

An e-shoot isn't included in our package, and it was only an extra $250, so I was keen to do one. However, with FH away studying, we just don't have any more money to squeeze it in.

Think about yours and your FH personality. FH and I are both pretty comfortable with being on show (I'm a teacher, and he is just a "class-clown") So i think we will be ok. If you are both shy people, it might be a benefit to have one!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 pm

We had one, included when we booked our photographer and we had such a great time! We didn't have any "nice photos" of us, we are always taking photos of the kids, or with them, so the e-shoot was a great opportunity! Plus we had so much fun, we don't get many opportunities to do things just the two of us, so we both really enjoyed it.

Peter@THP
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon May 16, 2011 11:10 pm

Engagement shoots are not only fun nor are they the sole reason for photographers to take in extra cash, but are in fact designed to give the clients a good feel for how they will look on their wedding day, especially if you have never had your photo taken professionally. It's a fantastic time to iron out all the "bugs" ... or ... what "bugs" you in the shots the photographer will take, for your wedding day.

To give you an example, I did an E-shoot once where the clients said to me after viewing the photos, that they wern't all that keen on the kissing shots and requested me to limit those shots to 2 or 3 only on the day. It wasn't that they look terrable in the photos of them kissing, it's just that they realised, that out of all the shots I took, they prefered it if I didn't take all that many of them kissing, that's all (weard as that sounds). Hence I adheared to that request on the wedding day and shot only 3 of them kissing - period!.

It's also a great chance to see if you DID make the right choice for photographer after all ... after all you are investing a lot of money on a photographer and it's better to find out at the E-shoot that the photographer you booked, wasn't right for YOU, rather than after you get your wedding photos back to find that out. It can also serve as confirmation as well, that you DID make the right choice, therefore it's "peace of mind" for you, so you can then look forward to getting your wedding photos back with confidence, without the worries of "hoping" they'll turn out any good hehe.

I'd say, "go for it" if I were you ... what have you got to loose? ... there is NO one saying that you HAVE to purchase photos off the photographer, but "if" they do their job right, then you won't be able to resist purchaseing a photo or two off them and is there anything wrong in that? :wink:

It definatly makes for better wedding photos IMHO, because YOU not only find out what you do and don't like in the photos they take, but the photographer also then knows what you do and don't like also ... it's a 2 way street.

It just may after all, be the BEST decision you make for your wedding (right or wrong) ... :D

BuzzyBeeDee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: Engagement shoot - Did you?

Tue May 17, 2011 12:07 pm

We're having ours on 9 July and I am sooooo excited about it :) For our photographer, if you book the e-shoot and wedding photography together you get the e-shoot half price. Our total package is $1700 and I think the e-shoot is only $150 or $200. I don't feel like I'm very photogenic, so I'm hoping the e-shoot will also give me (and the photographer) some ideas for the big day on the best angles and stuff. I'm also another one of those people who don't have that many photos of them and their FH, so it will be good from that perspective as well :) I'm putting together a video photo montage thingy as a surprise to my FH to be showed at the reception so I'll be able to use some of the e-shoot photos in that as well.

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Wed May 18, 2011 12:45 pm

We had one included in our package. I think it was great and worthwhile but was a bit annoyed at the price of the prints. Over $300 I think for a 20x24 inch (size including card mounting) print was quite excessive IMO. I only bought one because we don't have many "nice" pics together. I understand that photographers need to make money but that seemed a bit much to me.

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Wed May 18, 2011 3:27 pm

We will probably do one. Its not included in our price but is only an extra $440 for the full disc of images.

andie85
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 18, 2011 3:28 pm

We have the option of an engagement shoot as part of our package. We are just finding it difficult to find the time to have it! I think it is a nice way of getting a nice photo of the two of you, that isn't in your gown, it is a lot more relaxed

lmsm89

Wed May 18, 2011 4:59 pm

I need help!!

Our photographer has included an engagement photoshoot in our package deal which is GREAT!
But I don't know whether I trust him or not... Sure he is probably a very busy man.
But he takes about 2 weeks to reply to my emails, never answers his mobile, and doesn't seem that keen to get everything organised.

In saying that, we have met him face to face, he does seem like a genuine person (i think!) and I don't know whether I'm overreacting or
if I should be really worried. It's 6 months until our wedding, what do I do?? We have paid $400 deposit - the total cost is $2500.
And he includes EVERYTHING on the day.

I have heard stories of dodgy photographers so I'm just trying to be careful here. Should I confront him? :?

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Wed May 18, 2011 5:11 pm

I would never have gotten my DH to agree to one. But I wish I had have now looking back on it, because I was soooooo disappointed with our photographer and our photos, it would have been a great way of testing them out prior to the wedding. The idiots didn't offer an engagement shoot however,

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Wed May 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Yes, I think you should confront him, that isn't good service at all!

We had our e-shoot in New York on a recent trip, obviously that photographer wouldn't be at our wedding, but we wanted pics of us around New York. It was great and really hard at first, I would definitely recommend one to feel comfortable on the day...

FLG

Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm

We didn't have one - our photographer didn't do them. It was fine for us, but if she'd offered it I would have taken it, definitely :)

amberino21
Mrs Cupcake

Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Ours was included in our package....and definitely worth it. we would have paid for one if it wasn't included.

it gave us the opportunity to learn how our photographer works, and vice versa, and also let us have some gorgeous photos that weren't our wedding photos. we don't have many nice photos together as one of us is usually behind the camera. We upgraded our package so we'll get the digital negatives, if we hadn't we would have had to buy prints - it was such a difficult decision, we would have spent more on prints than the package upgrade!

Peter@THP
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Cimbom wrote:
We had one included in our package. I think it was great and worthwhile but was a bit annoyed at the price of the prints. Over $300 I think for a 20x24 inch (size including card mounting) print was quite excessive IMO. I only bought one because we don't have many "nice" pics together. I understand that photographers need to make money but that seemed a bit much to me.

I hear what you are saying here ... I note that you had Chris Clinnick shoot your wedding. Chris is a Master Photographer with the AIPP and is a highly respected photographer. All I can say about him charging over $300 for a 20x24, is that I have NO idea what Chris's overheads are and this could have a big factor in what his print prices are. Photographers that are in that price bracket usueally have sizeable overheads, staff, accountants, GST, rent, insurances etc. The money "has" to come from "somehwere", especially if photography is his sole income.

In Brisbane here, I visited a well known studio last week (not Marcus Bell's studio, but just as good) and he said to me that his rent on his studio was $1,500 per week ... that's $75K per year 8O ... just for rent ... He said shoots 30 weddings a year due to the high price he shoots his weddings at and also relies on portraits to make up the sortfall. He has 4 staff to keep, hence he is way more expensive than $300 for a 20x24 (makes Chris's $300 a bargin in comparison), but he is also a highly awarded photographer having won Wedding photographer of the year here in Qld several times over and Professional photographer of the year as well numerous other awards and is a Master Photographer as well.

My point here is ... Chris is definatly in the league of my mate here in Qld (being a master photographer and won many awards etc) and if Chris has anything close to those sorts of overheads, its no wonder his prices are, what they are, considering he is held in high reguard in Vic. In MHO ... I don't think $300 is "over the top" ... it's a pitty you didn't find that out before you booked him, I'm sure his prices would have been on desplay in his studio (in the price list).

Other than that ... I'm sorry to hear that you didn't think he's worth spending that sort of money on the photos ... I do hope you liked the photos that he did for you in the end though. :D
GZIP: On | Load: 0.33