A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

xoxbubxox
I just love to talk
I just love to talk
Topic Author

Best & Worst Bonbonniere

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:29 am

We are starting to think about bonbonnieres. I haven't been to many weddings and the only ones I have ever recieved were chocolate hearts. So what I was wondering is what was the best and/or the worst bonbonniere you have been given at a wedding?

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Re: Best & Worst Bonbonniere

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:22 am

My favourites are always nicely packaged chocolates. I'd rather get something I can eat than something I can't or won't use. I did get a cute crystal looking bottle topper once, that's the only thing I've ever used. However, guests are getting a free gift, so they can't complain either way!

BubS
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 am

I'm personally not a fan of the hard boiled lollies, but that is just my personal taste.

I think a nice chocolate, or a few, always goes down well! :D

tarwon
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:41 am

Definitely something edible. Little photo frames (and other similar things) are cute, but I don't think anyone ever uses them

magpieC
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:36 pm

I had the idea of bookmarks that can double as place cards so we would put our theme image (the same one that goes on invitations, order of service etc.) on the front & the guest's name on the back.

I figure bookmarks are something that's always useful and edible stuff would have to work around various allergies and preferences e.g. between relatives and friends we know at least 5 people who can't eat chocolate (3 of them get migraines from the chocolate itself and 2 have problems with milk and it's actually surprisingly difficult to find chocolates that don't contain any milk)

october-apples
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Lolly bars are always raved about :)

MoolieMoo
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Mostly we've gotten chocolates - and this is what we had too.

Once we got sugared almonds - traditional - but I don't like them. DH ate mine.

One other time we got a framed picture of the couple with the wedding date inside - we have it on our coffee table. They've been married 4 years. Our other friends went with us to the wedding but I don't know where their pic is. I haven't seen it in their house, not sure if they have it on display.

At the end of the day - I prefer chocolates - you just can't go wrong.

narileena
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:06 pm

I've gotten everything from wedding cupcakes, sugared almonds, candle holders, photo frames with pics of the bride and groom and pizza cutters.

I didn't think any of them were "bad", just showcased the personalities of the couples.

When I started looking, I just googled bonbonniere's and favors and made a list of what i liked and didn't like and that helped narrow it down :)

N x

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I personally like the photobooth printouts you get.

The one we have is four photos of FH and I with a thank you message on the bottom from the Bride and Groom.

Not a fan of little knick-knacky things, e.g. photo frames, salt and pepper shakes etc, I have very particular taste but don't want to offend the giver so they end up gathering dust in a draw in my house :oops:

jessw

Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:07 pm

I'm with the majority- I always like nicely packaged chocolates or lollies- can't go wrong.
I'm not really a fan of knick-knacky things like candles and photoframes either...
I also think it's nice when the couple puts the money towards something useful like a donation to a charity or something.

BuzzyBeeDee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm probably rude, but I'm not going to do bonfavs at our wedding. Of the weddings I've been to, regardless of what the bonfav was, half of them ended up left on the table at the end of the night, and for the life of me I can't even remember what they were. So based on those observations, plus the fact that I wouldn't care if I didn't get one at someone else's wedding, I kind of figure it's something I don't want to waste my money on. They seem to function as a thankyou to guests for coming which I think you can just as easily say to them verbally and with the thankyou card you send out afterwards.

However, if you are committed to bonfavs then I agree with above posters, a little chocolate (or package of chocolates) is definitely the safe bet. Even if you have some guests who can't eat chocs, they will be able to give it to their partner/kid whatever. You can get chocolate bars with personalised labels made up :) Cupcakes are really good as well, but I think quite pricey once you factor in the cupcake itself plus a little box for it to go in. Lolly bars are also fashionable, with little paper bags for guests to essentially pack their own bonfav. We're having a truffle bar on our cake table, so I may consider getting little bags/boxes for people to take one or two home.

Things I don't like are candles, photo frames, CDs of the couples music or pretty much anything non-consumable that is branded with wedding stuff.

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I love little knick-knacks, stuff you can actually use for something. As long as it's not something neon pink or incredibly oversized, it will always fit in somewhere (usually salt & pepper shakers, frames, etc are fairly plain, white or silver, and very small). We are giving little photo frames (doubling as place cards) because our "theme" for the wedding is photography (we are both photographers), but we are also having a giant martini glass full of lollies and a photobooth where people can get photostrips (and put one into their little frames if they want). I personally don't love edibles as bonbonnieres because there is SO much food involved at a wedding, and usually I'm just too full to be eating them, and I take them home and they just end up sitting there. That's why we'll have a "voluntary" offering of lollies to those who want them, but not as the actual bonbonnieres.

nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥

Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Oh my cousins/siblings weddings, I've loved those favours.

Hard boiled lollies from one, a nice large jar of jam from another, and my brother/SIL aren't overly imaginative and gave us a mini bottle of Yellow.

We're sticking with the gem trees (take home centre pieces) and a jar of bath salts.

Without Wings

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:40 am

magpieC wrote:
I had the idea of bookmarks that can double as place cards so we would put our theme image (the same one that goes on invitations, order of service etc.) on the front & the guest's name on the back.

I figure bookmarks are something that's always useful and edible stuff would have to work around various allergies and preferences e.g. between relatives and friends we know at least 5 people who can't eat chocolate (3 of them get migraines from the chocolate itself and 2 have problems with milk and it's actually surprisingly difficult to find chocolates that don't contain any milk)

If you were interested in doing food and wanted to cater for intolerances a lolly buffet/bar could be an option. You include options which are lactose free and non chocolate options and make sure everything is labelled accordingly with pretty labels. That way everyone can just choose what they like and can eat.

christabelle
C-WOWW
C-WOWW

Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:59 am

Best - 2 pairs of earrings, diamonte studs. 1 set clear, 1 set colour of the bridesmaid dresses
Also, a tea light candle holder made out of local wood from the area where the wedding was

I don't have a worst. I personally don't like sugared lollies but I take them home and give them to my dogs

nic0985
QB ♥ BD
QB ♥ BD

Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:37 am

BuzzyBeeDee wrote:
Things I don't like are candles, photo frames, CDs of the couples music or pretty much anything non-consumable that is branded with wedding stuff.

Agree!

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:00 pm

My fav were iced bride and groom cookies that my cousin had at her wedding. They were really yummy, and nicely packaged. I don't have a worst, I am not a fan of the taste of the sugared almonds, though I do like what they represent.

divasew
Evry'body Dance Now
Evry'body Dance Now

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 pm

I agree with anything edible. Chocolates are great. We had heart shaped lollipops made to our specific colours for ours and I have
to say,they were a hit. Everyone was eating them, even the guys! We attached a little card, crystal & ribbon on each one and they
looked fabulous on the tables. Even the staff at the reception centre commented on what a great idea they were, and I figured they
must have seen everything! :D

MissA
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:17 pm

We're having personlised shot glasses.

They will say;
Taking a Shot at Marriage
Nick & Amy
12 Nov 11

And there will also be a chocolate heart in the middle of the glass.

I can't complain about the tablefavs. They are a gift to us from the bride and groom who have already spent so much money.
My cousin had personlised lollies. They were cool.
My sister went to one wedding where they had a vintage teacup and saucer has their tablefavs. She loved it. That wedding was 10 years ago and she still has it, and still uses it.

BuzzyBeeDee
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 pm

We also just bought a Fuji Instax (modern day polaroid) camera off Amazon and we're going to have it on a table somewhere and put a note letting guests know to take one photo for themselves and one photo to leave for us. I think that's going to be fun, and the camera isn't that expensive (cheaper than I imagine a photobooth to be anyway, and a lot less obtrusive). The camera with 200 film exposures cost us about $240 incl. postage from Amazon.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.4