A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride
Topic Author

Standing for a ceremony? HELP!!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:54 pm

Getting married on an Island has thrown some interesting challenges into my wedding planning. I have just discovered that the lady who does ceremony and decoration hire only has 40 basic white chairs @$2.50. I need 60 chairs. She has 20 Americana ones @$5.50. I'm stuck!! I don't want to pay $5.50 for a chair that will be used for half an hour, but I don't want 40 people sitting and 20 people standing. Or two different styles of chairs. I need to look at other options, but this is my question, if I have exhausted my other options:

Do you think it is appropriate to stand for a half hour ceremony on the beach?

There is nobody attending who actually "needs" a chair.

Cimbom
I need a title
I need a title

Re: Standing for a ceremony? HELP!!

Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:59 pm

I would pay the $100 or so extra and have the chairs. When you think about all the expenses of weddings these days, it's not really that much and would look a lot "neater" IMO than people standing. I'm sure the guests would appreciate it too, even if the ceremony is 30 mins, they would likely come earlier plus there's also the chance you might be a bit late, etc. With the difference in styles, I don't think it matters too much as long as they're the same colour, etc it'd just blend it once people are seated.

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks so much Cimbom! I knew I hated the idea in my head, I just needed someone else to confirm it was a terrible idea!

MalinViktoria
Tattooed Wife
Tattooed Wife

Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 pm

I would pay for the extra chairs, or hire cheaper chairs and get chair covers for them all so they look the same (although chair covers cost $ too). I'm in a similar situation where the venue might not fit chairs for everyone, but I hate the idea of some people having to stand. :? It's a tricky one.

sugarb_91
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Just to add a different point of view....
I've stood at most of the weddings i've been a guest at and i've never minded at all! It must be the weddings i go to but they usually seem to have 30 or 40 chairs (for family, elderly guests, etc) then everybody else stands. Out of the 7 weddings i've attended, only one had seats for everybody.

To each their own though, and if you aren't comfortable with ppl standing, then its probably worth spending the extra money on more chairs :)

alwayz_shopping
Straddie Super Bride
Straddie Super Bride
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks everyone. I have solved the problem. I found a supplier in Cleveland who are hiring the chairs to me for a weekend, pickup Friday and return Monday at 1.50 each!! Booked and paid! YAY!! :mrgreen:

Bec*
Formally known as BridetoBe*77*

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Cimbom wrote:
I would pay the $100 or so extra and have the chairs. When you think about all the expenses of weddings these days, it's not really that much and would look a lot "neater" IMO than people standing. I'm sure the guests would appreciate it too, even if the ceremony is 30 mins, they would likely come earlier plus there's also the chance you might be a bit late, etc. With the difference in styles, I don't think it matters too much as long as they're the same colour, etc it'd just blend it once people are seated.

I completely agree with this!

Bec*
Formally known as BridetoBe*77*

Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:27 pm

alwayz_shopping wrote:
Thanks everyone. I have solved the problem. I found a supplier in Cleveland who are hiring the chairs to me for a weekend, pickup Friday and return Monday at 1.50 each!! Booked and paid! YAY!! :mrgreen:

Excellent! Sounds like it's all worked out :)
GZIP: On | Load: 0.35