A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥
Topic Author

How far? - *UPDATED*

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 am

How far can a dress be taken in?
I have my fitting tomorrow and I am really starting to stress that the dressmaker won't be able to take it in and make it look the same :(
I've lost 16kgs since I ordered it.
Last edited by **Manda** on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AliBaby
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Re: How far?

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:16 am

Hey Manda,I have heard 2 dress sizes after that the bust and sdetailing can go a bit skew-if. Sorry cant think ofa better word to describe! Fingers crossed all will be fine. Is there a lot of details on your dress and what is the neckline like?

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:19 am

There's a pic on page 57 of my S&T of my dress. I have no doubt she can take it in but I am so scared it won't look the same :(
Thanks for replying x

missEbali
Mrs DG
Mrs DG

Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 am

Wow Manda, you better head in soon, so they can see how much they need to do! I wanted to order a size lower than they fitted me for and they wouldnt allow it and now my dress also needs to be taken in... maybe its a scam so we pay for alterations?!!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am

I would also be getting in ASAP. 16kg is a lot, what does it equate to in dress sizes? Do you have time to get a back up dress if necessary?

Chief Pancaker Maker
Formally known as Josilver77
Formally known as Josilver77

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:26 am

I am also a bit cynical about alterations. When I ordered the dress they took my measurements and ordered a size too big - in case I got fat. My dress arrived this week and what do you know - its a size to big! I was told when I ordered that alterations would be about $250, when I asked yesterday she wasnt sure and said prices had gone up, but they would honour whatever was written on my paper work - I looked at it last night there is no price for alteration written on any thing so I will have to pay what ever random price they choose.

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:50 am

Going in today to see what has to be done...

Not sure what it is in sizes, its at least 2.

I definately think its a scam Miss E. Thing is i am taking my dress elsewhere so they needn't have bothered!!

I am really stressing now, I know they will take it in, but i want it to look the same :(

No time for a new dress, less than 6 weeks till the wedding so if i do have to find a new one it will have to be OTR.

rgarry
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:36 am

Firstly congratulations on the weightloss thats brilliant!!! :e_clap: :bdance: my sister had a similar problem and when they altered the dress that had to make a few small changes so that it fit her without look weird but everything they did she loved and i too think they actually made the dress look better afterwards im sure you'll love it chick!! :mrgreen: try not to fret too much

pinkperfection
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 am

i heard they can take them in at least a few inches each side so that would drop a couple of sizes off. good luck with it :D

when i tried on my dress, i tried an 8. too small but not by heaps. so i would have definitely been a 10. when i ordered it they had it in white in a 12. i tried that one on and the sales assistant said i was a 12. they measured me over my clothes and i was halfway between a 10 and a 12. i was wearing several layers though.
i originall wanted to order a size down i was wanting to order an 8. they tried to convince me otherwise and actually wrote on my paperwork that i was between a 10-12 and i wanted to order an 8 to cover their butts if i didn't fit into the 8 when it comes in.
i've had so many friends be told to order a particular size even though it's a bit big on them and then be told they must have lost weight when the dress comes in and it's too big. one turned around and said , no i've gained 2 kilos.
the whole point of my corset back dress is it's adjustable. i don't know why they insist on ordering different sizes.

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:54 am

They say a dress size is roughly 6kgs. Good luck chicka! No matter what you are going to look awesome :)

lexyles
I survived and got married
I survived and got married

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 pm

:D
Last edited by lexyles on Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:17 pm

I agree with the other ladies hun - this way it can be customised to fit your gorgeous new body like a glove! Don't stress - it will work out! :D

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks so much everyone... Today went great. She was fantastic!! She said there is no issue with it looking the same. The top is what she was most worried about but she said no problem because i like the way the bust sits so she can just pull it up and in instead of having to pull it apart.
As for the rest, she said she will probably have to take it in a good 3 inchs each side but its very doable. *PHEW*

so all my stress was for nothing! Staying up till 2.30am looking at new dresses was a waste of my time!!!

I have another fitting in 2 weeks and then again on the Wednesday before the wedding so she is very confident it will all be no worries!

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Re: How far? - *UPDATED*

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Woohoo!! :bdance: Awesome news Manda!

It's always much easier to relax when the person you're dealing with is supportive and relaxed too. Sounds like you found a lovely lady :D

**Manda**
♥ The Mrs ♥
♥ The Mrs ♥
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 pm

Mrs Manco wrote:
Woohoo!! :bdance: Awesome news Manda!

It's always much easier to relax when the person you're dealing with is supportive and relaxed too. Sounds like you found a lovely lady :D

It sure is! And all thanks to Melz4d!! The dressmaker said she was really flat out and that she doesnt advertise so its all word of mouth so i guess thats a good sign. I love how she calls the dress "she". So she said "She can stay here with me now" and "when you take her, Lay her down over the seat so she doesnt get wrinkled" LOL

Mrs Manco
Lucky in love and life
Lucky in love and life

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:57 pm

hahaha obviously a lady who loves her job :D maybe a little TOO much hehehe
GZIP: On | Load: 0.49