A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

carolinaw
Topic Author

when will you begin to plan wedding after engagement?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi ladies,
I got engaged 2 weeks ago, and we're really excited! However everyone keeps asking when the wedding is, where we're having it etc, and if I'm honest we haven't given a thought to details yet!Now I don't want a long engagement. Were you super organised from day one? Or did you wait a while before getting into the planning?

Chief Pancaker Maker
Formally known as Josilver77
Formally known as Josilver77

Re: when will you begin to plan wedding after engagement?

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I have been engaged for about 7 months. I was pretty organised, we had the date, venue, church and dress sorted within 2 weeks of being engaged. Once you have those everything else just of just follows on. I have known people who spent every weekend for months doing wedding planning - honestly i have no idea what they were doing. I spent a coulple of hours every weekend or so and thats it.

According to all the magizines they say you cant organise a wedding in less less than 12 months - total load of C%^*%P

Kjturner

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm

We got engaged in April of this year, havent bothered with anything until PIL said we should book somewhere soon... Good advice because the first 5 venues i looked at were fully booked for our date (16th nov 2013..)

pebbles2
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 pm

We got engaged on Christmas day Last year, and we're getting married in March next year, we're still planning for ours but had the bigger things organised a bit late because we were stuffed around alot by venues and by the time we were wanting to book in it was getting late and we were missing out on places were thinking of getting married. So you probably need to book or start looking early for places like your ceremony and reception if you have somewhere in mind you would like to get married.

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 pm

If you don't want a long engagement, start organising the major things now (venues, photographer, dress at least 6m out). Some things book out ages ahead and you might miss out if you have your heart set on a particular thing.

I actually booked my reception venue the morning of my engagement (I was officially proposed to just after). My engagement was 1 day shy of a year.

DestinyDriven

Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:58 am

I got engaged in September but won't be booking anything until April or May next year. I currently live in England so want to wait til we're in Australia before we book anything! We've had lots of emails back and forth between venues and have a current top 2 to view as soon as we;re in Aus. I'm actually really enjoying doing all the research and groundwork without booking anything yet cos it gives me plenty of time to think about what I really want and gives me a few months to change my mind without having committed to anything yet!

astrogirl

Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:27 am

We got engaged in January this year. Within a couple of days we'd agreed that we both wanted to get married at a winery on the Mornington Peninsula, as we love it there. As I'm a teacher and we wanted go on our honeymoon straight away, that pretty much narrowed down our date to the weekends just before school holidays. So within a week or so we knew what we wanted to do and roughly when. Then it was a matter of making a rough estimate of number of guests, deciding what we could pay per head and making a short-list of places for the reception. We went down to visit two, both were AMAZING but one was too small for guest list. Easy decision!

cj2011
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 am

We had an 18 month engagement. I didnt want any longer than 6 months. I would recommend getting onto it and just getting things done because stuffing aruond and umming and ahhing is the worst (and what we did! :lol: )

KCupcake21
I need a title
I need a title

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 am

I did things a little bit backwards.

We decided that 2011 was our year to get married so in March 2010 I started looking around at reception venues & churches & things to get an idea on my budget. We started seriously looking at venues in the September of that year & booked both the church & the reception venue 3 weeks before we were engaged.

We then decided to wait 2 weeks after our engagement before announcing our wedding date to everyone (well our parents knew the date) so once we were engaged we started into the planning - mainly photographer shopping & dress hunting!

The Mrs Martin
Formerly known as futuremrsmartin
Formerly known as futuremrsmartin

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

We had an 18 month engagement.

FH proposed in May and I started research straight away.
We narrowed down a date, I am still at uni so that was a factor, and then FH said it couldn't be during cricket or footy season or on bathurst weekend. That made it easy in terms of dates I had to choose from those in November.

We booked things straight away to avoid disappointment.

Especially since you want a short engagement I'd get right on it do you ceremony and reception venues first then the bigger things follow after that.

carolinaw
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:47 pm

thanks you'll. I read some magzines article about orgnising a wedding ( venue, church and dress, etc). I love every wedding thing in magzines, but I only need one wedding. :lol: Now I and my Fiance have to begin to view wedding venue, dress almost every weekend. I think it will take us a long time to prepare. It's not an easy thing. :( Trust me.

LittleMissBride
I need a title
I need a title

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:15 am

I got engaged on Oct 24th this year and I'm just starting to plan everything now - so a few weeks. As we're having a destination wedding there is a few big decisions to be made quickly as we're looking at July/August so I have to get onto it quickly!

SmallNads
What You Talking 'Bout Willis?
What You Talking     'Bout Willis?

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:24 am

We got engaged April 2008. We held our engagement party in March 2009 and married in March 2011.

We set the wedding date in May 2010 so that gave us 10mths to plan and organize.

We had a long engagement :D

helga106

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:46 am

We got engaged on Christmas day, 2010. I have only just started to think about planning things now it's been 11 months. We had talked about things but nothing solid just idea's.

We had a lot of stress earlier in the year and we decided it was easier not to think about the wedding until it had all passed. Now things are really good and we are coming into some money mid next year so the financial stress is also off. I want to give myself plenty of time to plan it so it can be stress free as much as possible. So I am starting now, for out 2013 wedding.

carolinaw
Topic Author

Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

SmallNads wrote:
We got engaged April 2008. We held our engagement party in March 2009 and married in March 2011.

We set the wedding date in May 2010 so that gave us 10mths to plan and organize.

We had a long engagement :D

yup, you really had a veryyy long engagement.

I don't want have a marathon engagement. We are discussing to set the wedding date in June 2012 so that we have an half of a year for preparation. If there is no any unexpected episode, I will get a smooth wedding ceremony. Everybody, give me a hug for congratulations. Thanks in advance.

tamz

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 am

I was in the same boat as you! We had gotten engaged in August, shortly before embarking on a month long holiday so it didn't seem to make sense to organise anything until we got back. The moment we did, people were constantly asking us when the date was and to be honest, it was a bit frustrating!

In any case, it's not as impossible to plan a wedding within a year as some people say. We booked our venues mid October for our wedding next year in May. It's 6 months till the day and I haven't had to compromise on much at all.

Happy planning :)

lisha_1988

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 am

We had our engagement party on the weekend (6-7 weeks after we were engaged) and we had the church, reception, photographer, band & bridal party all sorted by then. So our date has been set for the 3/11/12 (14 months after we got engaged & one week under a year since our engagement party) but besides those thing I haven't done much at all.

One note with the dress tho... A lot of designers will quote 4-5 months as delivery time for the dress not including alterations.

Fiji_2012
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:02 pm

I new the date i wanted to get married before we got engaged, we got engaged in Jan this yr had our engagement party in April and we are getting married in September next yr, we booked our date back in Feb or March, we are having a destination wedding so apart from booking the date, there isn't a lot left to do, we sent our save the date cards out back in July and are about to do the invites now.

Hawaiian Wedding
Married in Maui
Married in Maui

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:01 pm

We started planning straight away. We got engaged in february this year, and are getting married in March next year. I had already done some research (yes I was waiting for my proposal for about a year :D ) and we had discussed that we didnt want to get married in Australia. Once we were engaged we took about 2 weeks to decide 100% on Hawaii and a date, then about a week to find the right wedding planner for us. We are keeping it very casual, but even now with just under 4 months to go, its starting t o get a bit stressful.

I suggest start planning!

carolinaw
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:54 pm

We have different ideas now for our wedding plan next year. You know i feel very tired to choose wedding dress, venue, photographs...etc etc. Every weekend even I have no enough time to have a good rest. Yesterday I told my fiance that I want a travelling wedding so we just need to choose where to go and when to begin. Yea, I am lazy now and lose interest in any preparation. But my fiance said no. He wanted to celebrate with all our family members, his parents, friends, etc and mine at the big day. I admit I am a little wayward. I need more and more break. I know there are enough time (7 months left) for us to be ready but I want everything to be simple.

Don't be annoying by my complain. Don't worry, I am Okay.
GZIP: On | Load: 0.36