A Community for Brides Planning their Wedding in Australia

mrsWtobe
I need a title
I need a title
Topic Author

Re: Bomboniere - how many guests took them home?

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Great post!!! I have been thinking a lot about these as well! Would love to hear what peoples opinions are!

KateM
It's between Me and Steve McQueen
It's between Me and Steve McQueen

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Wine glasses, shot glasses, photo frames etc.

Look - I don't leave them, but I don't treasure them either. I never use it. It sits on a shelf and 2 years later I chuck it away.

Edible all the way I say. Otherwise its a waste.

LittleMissBride
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:11 pm

I always take it, but I have seen a lot of people don't, especially drunk people. I think everyone has a different idea of what is a cool idea for the bomboniere and so you can never entirely predict reactions. I wouldn't advise spending a huge amount (such as those $16 wine glasses) as you don't know if people will take them. I tried to pick something original and have got for mine - personalised playing cards with our names, the date and a bride and groom on the card cover, which we thought would be cute, and who doesn't like a set of playing cards? I know my family will love them however, no idea what FH's family/friends will think.

kristal
Mrs Frangi
Mrs Frangi

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 pm

We had a pack of 6 round glass coasters in a glass holder and we had them per couple (couples don't need two sets in the home) and every single couple/person took theirs home. Nobody forgot and nobody disliked them and we still see them sitting in people's homes 5 years later. They cost a bit more $12 each (but remembering that is per couple), but I thought that was money well spent for the fact that everyone has used them since.

I have been to weddings where people have forgotten to take them home so I would say, go for either a practical gift or go for chocolate (can never go wrong)

Warchild1990

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm

I love the idea of rock candy with our names on it. But that costs about $500 for 10 kilos. I'm just going to buy some cheap little jars to put them in (If I can even afford them. :cry: )
I think its different for everyone. Whatever you like will be perfect.

Tracylacy
Mrs. Bart
Mrs. Bart

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:17 pm

we're having stubby holders, and I know that whenever I go to something and they sell stubby holder merchandise I always buy one.

I have a feeling that most of ours will get taken home. I think stubby holders are one of those things that you can never have enough of and they are also something that you can rotate the use of different ones. They are also something that can have your name and wedding date on and people will still use, it's only keeping your beer cold after all.

astrogirl

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 pm

We're just not having bomboniere! We decided that a lovely meal and delicious wine and great company were enough for the guests, and no-one was going to miss a trinket that (let's face it) will either get left behind, thrown out or put in a box. I know some families might be upset with this, but FH's sister did the same at her wedding a year ago and no-one said anything.

Ali2011
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:56 pm

We had cupcakes in clear boxes with green ribbons (that matched the bridesmaid's dress) for our bonbonniere. Everyone took them home.

MoolieMoo
I survived and got married

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 pm

We had those little mesh bags with the satin drawstrings with silver coated chocolate hearts.

Everyone ate them on the night and we were left with tons of little white and maroon mesh bags. lol.

coco2003
I need a title
I need a title

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 pm

I didn't have them, but at every wedding I've been to with bonbonierre most get left behind. Part of the reason I didn't have them myself! :lol:

cloudie
Mrs Awesome!
Mrs Awesome!

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:38 pm

I had home made gingerbread cookies that were in the shape of a bride and groom. Except for the really drunk people and my PIL, they were all taken, or eaten on the night.

Edible definitely. Chocolate hearts are a great choice!

nwyfre
♥ Married a Muggle ♥
♥ Married a Muggle ♥

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 pm

I created gem trees to double as bomboniere and centrepieces. It took about a year on-and-off to create 30 of them, and EVERY SINGLE ONE was taken home. My cousin's son (who's three) was even stealing others because he wanted to take home more than one!

I've seen people leave behind edibles. My cousin had a single chocolate ball in a huge clear plastic box thing...it was odd. So many left behind, such a waste.

Another cousin had jam's, and they were another absolute hit! My brother and SIL had mini bottles of wine, another hit. So I guess it depends on the individuals, too.

bekabulwinkle
I just love to talk
I just love to talk

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:54 pm

thats what our lolly buffet is for -- i figure everyone cane take some in there little boxes, so some people will (kids) and then maybe some adults wont - we are not going to open it until after dinner ---

beka

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:35 pm

By doing a photo booth which prints double strips all night we hope to double up on bonbonierie and the guest book :)

bernie

Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:24 pm

we had personalised stubby coolers and wine bottles everyone loved it and took them home

Scarlett
I need a title
I need a title

Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:51 am

We had white boxes with Ferrero Rocher chocolates inside, they were tied with ribbon in our colour and had the guests name on them (so they doubled as place cards). I think most of the choccies were either eaten on the night or taken home.

To be honest, engraved wine glasses and stuff like that looks nice, and I would take it home to be polite, but the reality is, I never use them (mainly because its got someone else's details all over them :P ) - I'm not into keepsake things from my own life, let alone others peoples! I find it is just clutter and I like simplicity, so I normally tend to chuck them out after a week or two. Not that I would ever tell the bride or groom that :P

darkphoenix

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:23 am

The weddings I've been, anything edible seems to be taken home a lot more often then little knick knacks. Most the time edible things are eaten on the night! Most recent wedding was my cousins, for the guys they had a personalized scotch bottle and the women had a diamond-shaped candle holder. They weren't the cheapest thing but only a handlful of the candle holders got forgotten and of course there was not a scotch bottle to be seen come the end of the night :)

Sorry for the slight hijack, Warchild, check out http://www.candyaddictions.com.au if you haven't sorted out your bombeniere yet. They do personalized rockcandy and by far the cheapest I found when we were considering having them. They start at $230 for 7kgs, up to $330 for 10kgs.

Warchild1990

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:49 pm

L.I.W wrote:
By doing a photo booth which prints double strips all night we hope to double up on bonbonierie and the guest book

I LOVE the vintage photo booth! We played in one at the bridal expo in perth on sat and loved it! Such a cute idea but not sure if 70 people is enough to warrant the $1600 for the photobooth....

darkphoenix wrote:
Sorry for the slight hijack, Warchild, check out http://www.candyaddictions.com.au if you haven't sorted out your bombeniere yet. They do personalized rockcandy and by far the cheapest I found when we were considering having them. They start at $230 for 7kgs, up to $330 for 10kgs.

Not at all! We havent done them yet so thanks heaps and I will look into it. Thats alot better than the Roc candy quote we got!

L.I.W
Insert Candy Here
Insert Candy Here

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Warchild1990 wrote:
L.I.W wrote:
By doing a photo booth which prints double strips all night we hope to double up on bonbonierie and the guest book

I LOVE the vintage photo booth! We played in one at the bridal expo in perth on sat and loved it! Such a cute idea but not sure if 70 people is enough to warrant the $1600 for the photobooth....

darkphoenix wrote:

Not at all! We havent done them yet so thanks heaps and I will look into it. Thats alot better than the Roc candy quote we got!

We only have about 90 so not that much more than you... I have never heard bad things about photobooths at weddings :) They always go down a treat!

jessw

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:49 pm

I'm another vote for edible options. I always take bomboniere home with me but TBH anything that is personalized or engraved usually just gets put in a drawer or thrown out a few years later in a cleaning frenzy! I feel bad because people have spent a lot of money on these things but I'm not exactly going to get out 1 glass with another couple's name on it for a dinner party. I love the photo booth idea too!
GZIP: On | Load: 0.51